Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Road Peeves

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Cyclist who don't wave to me. I get deeply offended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Those people suck...wheels.
    Yeah, wheel suckers. Freeloaders! They deserve to be dropped.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Riding the last three miles of the day in the rain is a small price to pay for a days worth of tailwinds.
    I thought so too. It was pretty sweet, but alas, not perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Love this!!!

Hiro11 had the best list.

I really don't care too much about wheelsuckers (or similar), as it doesn't really affect my ride. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about other riders. While I do have issues with people that are not safe, I don't understand any ill will toward people that are safe, but don't ride they way you would ride. To each there own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Mark View Post
    It's threads like this that keep me from trying group rides. I'm terrified that I'll get jumped and beaten by a pack of crazed cyclists.
    Nah man. I've never been in a group where people get immediately irritated with a new rider or someone making a few mistakes. It just gets annoying when you ride with the same people, sometimes for years, and they simply refuse to learn the basics of riding in a pack. This demonstrates to me that they don't care about their impact on the people they're riding with. To me, the only important rules in group etiquette are those driven by safety. Road cycling is one of the most dangerous sports there is and riding safely is job one. Other than that, it's basic courteousness: don't be late, come prepared, understand the pace of the ride before showing up, don't be a jerk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Group ride woes:

1. Riders who show up late to a group ride. It's always the same people and always the people who live closest to the meeting spot.

8. Riders who refuse to wait for others on a no-drop ride.

9. Riders who when they're pulling a large group go through a very stale green or even yellow light.
    I'll add to #9, people who pull out of the parking lot, the turn around, etc. at the front of a large group despite there being cars coming.
    My blog about bicycling: http://offthebackweb.wordpress.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dogs.
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    This is the only list so far that's all legitimate gripes, IMHO. Most of the posts just demonstrate the truth of the stereotype of roadies as b*tchy little whiners (not excluding myself). C'mon, a pet peeve is the color of somebody else's bike? Really?

My pet peeve is the unimaginative color sensibility of American car buyers and makers. 75% of the cars are black, white, grey or beige - the "stealth" color families, I call them, when they come looming up out of the fog, invisible until they're almost on top of me. Let's have more cars in red, yellow, bright green and bright blue, okay? And turn on your freakin' lights when visibility is poor. For that matter, let's mandate full-time running lights on new cars (maybe in a few years when "regulation" comes back into fashion.
    To be clear I don't care what color your bike is. It's the trend that bothers me. When something is a trend then the market caters to it through saturation. I'm b*tching about a market not catering to me right now.

But I'm not a whiner. My post was short and terse, that's b*tching not whining. I take great umbrage to being called a whiner.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    sorry.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    flats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Mark View Post
    It's threads like this that keep me from trying group rides. I'm terrified that I'll get jumped and beaten by a pack of crazed cyclists.
    Yep. My pet peeve is group rides and people that take them too seriously.
    “Man may trust man, Prince Elric, but perhaps we'll never have a truly sane world until men learn to trust mankind. That would mean the death of magic, I think.”

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasser_Butterfat View Post
    People in my way obeying the posted 15MPH speed limit!
    Sorry... I'm not a stickler for the speed limit. I'm just slow at this time of the year...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Oh yeah,
    I'm also tired of the whole flat look. Bikes, helmets...borrrrring!
    How about some metallics and chrome and bronze and pearl

Also would be nice if clothing manufactures would start making jersey sleeves that are a little longer and don't ride up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    As far as group rides go I don't really mind wheelsuckers who save if the the town line or hill climb. That has comic value.

What ticks me off though is guys who try for strava segments and fck up the flow of the ride. As if a certain time done with 7 or so guys has anything to do with anything.

Worse yet is guys who need to stop for a 'mechanical' and it turns out their Garmin isn't synched up with their Iphone and go-pro or some such silliness that I never really understand wtf it is they're trying to fix. You shouldn't burden a bunch of other guys for the sake of seeing numbers on a screen. Thankfully that does't happen much but it has happened.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Flats
    Dogs
    Wet steel anything, especially if it wasn't there 24 hours ago
    Riders who don't wave
    Drivers who right hook me
    Drivers who cross completely into the oncoming lane to avoid me
    Drivers too afraid to pass me
    It's Mueller Time

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Great descents that end with a stop sign!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    A red light on a 10% or more assent.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Fecal indicator
    [QUOTE=mtrac;5130311 Drivers who cross completely into the oncoming lane to avoid me...[/QUOTE]

don't think completely crossing the center stripe is good, but I appreciate it when drivers give me a little extra room when passing.

I routinely do this for riders I come across. always seems to get a nod or wave for the courtesy.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Once a driver crosses the center lane line, or moves into an adjacent lane with the left wheels why does moving entirely in the other lane make any difference.

Where I ride the roads are too narrow to have a car passing me and an oncoming car at the same time. I don't want anyone to try to think they can pass by only moving slightly over the line.

This would be my number one issue. 2nd is cars that will not pass. I sometimes run into this in Tennessee. If 2 cars get behind me I pull off at the earliest point. Not a problem in Illinois

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Once a driver crosses the center lane line, or moves into an adjacent lane with the left wheels why does moving entirely in the other lane make any difference.
    Because we are entitled to the lane and a driver who allows us the lane is just showing his understanding of that, and giving us our space and some respect.

It can be tough holding a line on a windy, gusty day and a vehicle passing can quickly change the direction\velocity of that wind, making it even tougher to hold that line, now with a vehicle in close proximity. Also small irregularities of the road can cause a cyclist to loose their line(potholes or debris being 2 things). A motorist giving us the lane allows for the impact that the wind or road conditions have on us that don't impact an automobile as it does us.
    Too old to ride plastic

Fecal indicator
    ...giving us our space and some respect.

It can be tough holding a line on a windy, gusty day and a vehicle passing can quickly change the direction\velocity of that wind, making it even tougher to hold that line, now with a vehicle in close proximity. Also small irregularities of the road can cause a cyclist to loose their line(potholes or debris being 2 things). A motorist giving us the lane allows for the impact that the wind or road conditions have on us that don't impact an automobile as it does us.
    ^this.

a motorist providing me few extra feet of space while passing is always welcome.

I'll straddle the center stripe when passing riders, gives them room and doesn't require a radical move to return to my proper lane.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Riders who show up late to a group ride. It's always the same people and always the people who live closest to the meeting spot.
    Nope. The ride leaves at the announced time. Full stop. This is the ONLY way to train those who just can't be bothered to show up on time. And that includes somebody who has parked the car and is putting their wheels on the bike. Late is late.

If you want to encourage a later start for the ride, then wait for the stragglers to get their sheit together. This will encourage everybody else to show up late and automatically move the start time to a later slot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Nope. The ride leaves at the announced time. Full stop. This is the ONLY way to train those who just can't be bothered to show up on time. And that includes somebody who has parked the car and is putting their wheels on the bike. Late is late.

If you want to encourage a later start for the ride, then wait for the stragglers to get their sheit together. This will encourage everybody else to show up late and automatically move the start time to a later slot.

Point well taken. It all depends whether you want to play soft ball or hard ball. I'm willing to cut someone a break once. If I see it's a chronic behavior with that person, then no breaks, period.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Because we are entitled to the lane and a driver who allows us the lane is just showing his understanding of that, and giving us our space and some respect.

Maybe I was not clear because I agree with you. I meant my reply as a question to those who think it is not a good idea for cars to completely cross the center line. my point is from a practical matter once you partially cross there is no reason not to completely cross the line. Oncoming traffic can not get past a car partially across the center line anyway. If they cannot completely cross, they should not be passing in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Maybe I was not clear because I agree with you. I meant my reply as a question to those who think it is not a good idea for cars to completely cross the center line. my point is from a practical matter once you partially cross there is no reason not to completely cross the line. Oncoming traffic can not get past a car partially across the center line anyway. If they cannot completely cross, they should not be passing in the first place.

Exactly. They are effectively treating the situation as if they were passing a slower car.

-- Warren Buffett

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast