Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Road Peeves

Road Warrior

Pet Road Peeves

Pet peeves from an old curmudgeon;
    1) Getting dropped by the fast group mid climb only to see a motorized bike drafting the end of the group (that’s really chickenshit!!!!)

2)Turning on the Garmin only to realize that the battery is dead-failed to charge. It sucks to monitor this process and nothing else I know of works this way.

3) Pulling “your” stuff out of “your” truck only to realize that the dumbass that packed “your” bike forgot “your shoes”.

4) Going out in a head wind only to have it turn against you on the way back.

5) Roads with no shoulders.

6) The door handle pass..

RoadBikeReview Member
    What is the "door handle pass"?

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    What is the "door handle pass"?
    When the pass is dangerous or too close for comfort.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    The headwinds. Riding in Las Vegas I get the changing wind directions all the time

RoadBikeReview Member
    - Club ride heroes: Do no work the entire ride... then show up for the sprint lines

Fecal indicator
    my biggest peeve, drivers who hit me and don't stop to render aid.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    - Club ride heroes: Do no work the entire ride... then show up for the sprint lines
    One of my pet peeves is the club ride hero who thinks he's doing everyone a favor by driving the pace line, never gets off the front, never rotates to the back giving others a chance to set the pace.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Getting a flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    One of my pet peeves is the club ride hero who thinks he's doing everyone a favor by driving the pace line, never gets off the front, never rotates to the back giving others a chance to set the pace.
    Yep - worse than hidden sprinter

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    About a week ago I had a "tailwind both ways" ride for the first time ever - but it rained about 3 miles from the finish.

My pet peeve is the person whose pedal style is so herky jerky that the bike briefly stops when he/she gets out of the saddle causing me to have to brake in a pace line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    N2deep that was my wife on the motorized bike. She told me about it and said she hung back because she did not want to embarrass you guys by passing. Of course she has no problem kicking my butt on climbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My dog hates it when he's hanging out the window and gets a bug in his teeth.

Darling of The Lounge
    I always converge on the narrowest and most debris covered part of the road with two vehicles going on the opposite direction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    You mean guys like Cav?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    About a week ago I had a "tailwind both ways" ride for the first time ever - but it rained about 3 miles from the finish.
    Riding the last three miles of the day in the rain is a small price to pay for a days worth of tailwinds.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    potholes

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Riders who aren't at the front of the group at a stop light, and yell "green" as soon as it turns.
    Riders who don't pull, but go flying past on the hills, and then back to the back of the group when it flattens out.
    Open riders who "aren't feeling it" that day and drop down a group and push the pace and blow up the group.
    Riders who wear shorts instead of bibs. I don't want to see it.
    Riders who wear jerseys with yellow on it. (not talking about Pro riders).
    Last edited by maximum7; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in with all the above complaints, plus having to ride road bike a lot of the time... because the mtn biking around here not so convenient nor suited to riding it every day

Banned forever.....or not
    1) National level riders who show up at a local race, and drive the pace so hard, I get shelled...

2) People.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would say 6, 5, 4 in that order.

My reply to 3: Just as you wouldn't let someone else fold your parachute, pack your own stuff.

My reply to 1: Get stronger or ride with a different group.

I won't even bother to reply to 2.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    People in a group ride who want to have a full blown conversation with you while two abreast and if you where luckily enough to move up in the group to find when they catch back up beside you, there still taking too you.... like you never left the conversation
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    wind above 15mph
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by road&dirt View Post
    people in a group ride who want to have a full blown conversation with you while two abreast and if you where luckily enough to move up in the group to find when they catch back up beside you, there still taking too you.... Like you never left the conversation

This!!!!!!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    people in a group ride who are having a full blown conversation with you while two abreast and if you had to fall back due to a hill or bodily function in the group to find when you work your way back up beside them, they have no idea what u all were talking about and completely ignore you.... Like you never were involved in a conversation
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Group ride woes:

1. Riders who show up late to a group ride. It's always the same people and always the people who live closest to the meeting spot.
    2. Riders who don't do any training, show up for a (previously communicated) fast paced ride and then proceed to get dropped immediately making everyone wait for them.
    3. Riders in your group who consistently do dangerous or irritating things on the road, annoying drivers and making the entire group look bad: cutting up along the side of stopped traffic, blowing through red lights, giving people the finger etc.
    4. Riders who show up for group rides totally unprepared: no tube, no food, tires not quite pumped, chain squeaking.
    5. People who just cannot stop coasting in a paceline. Pedal hard, coast, pedal hard, coast. Accordion city. It's exhausting to follow them. Even worse: people who use their brakes in a tight paceline.
    6. Riders who stop pedaling at the top of a hill and immediately lose speed instead of pedaling through the crest of the hill.
    7. Riders who refuse to pull, never get any stronger but insist on riding with the fast group. Immediately get dropped anytime the road turns uphill.
    8. Riders who refuse to wait for others on a no-drop ride.
    9. Riders who when they're pulling a large group go through a very stale green or even yellow light.
    10. Riders who despite riding with your group for years never get any stronger, and continue to demonstrate the bad behavior listed above despite repeated reminders to cut it out.
    Last edited by Hiro11; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:04 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast