Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    The view is the reward
    Reputation: steephill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    417

    Photos and movies: Cycling Hawaii, Days 1-3 on the Big Island

    Just prior to Christmas, I spent one week on the Big Island with my in-laws during a mostly family trip. I managed to cycle every day! ;)

    Here are two reports from the first three days.

    Introduction to the Big Island and brief reports on Days 1 and 2:
    http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/hawaii/

    Day 3, Cycling Old Mamalahoa Hwy to the Waipio Valley:
    http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/waipio-valley/

    Hauoli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos and movies: Cycling Hawaii, Days 1-3 on the Big Island-rbr-photo.jpg  
    steephill.tv bike travelogue

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    23

    just beautiful

    the big island is a special place as you know, it's one of our favorites (honeymooned 14yrs ago and return each yr). you did a wonderful job putting the review/photos/movie together, they're quite inspirational and motivating. now that my wife has started to ride we will most definately take our bikes with us this year.

    loved it. thanks for sharing.

  3. #3
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,956

    Happy New Year.

    Reading and viewing your report was a great way to start a new year. Hawaii is one of four US states that I have not visited. Your report really makes me want go there. Thanks for posting.

    From your past reports and this one, it looks like you had a very good 2005 (I had a good year, too). Here's to another good year and interesting rides in 2006. Best wishes,

    Mark
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  4. #4
    The view is the reward
    Reputation: steephill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    the big island is a special place as you know, it's one of our favorites (honeymooned 14yrs ago and return each yr).
    Yeah, it's more famous honeymooning than for cycling. I guess you could call it a great multi-sport destination ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    you did a wonderful job putting the review/photos/movie together, they're quite inspirational and motivating. now that my wife has started to ride we will most definately take our bikes with us this year.

    loved it. thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for nice feedback. Having a wife who likes to ride makes a trip easier and more interesting.
    steephill.tv bike travelogue

  5. #5
    The view is the reward
    Reputation: steephill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Reading and viewing your report was a great way to start a new year. Hawaii is one of four US states that I have not visited. Your report really makes me want go there. Thanks for posting.

    From your past reports and this one, it looks like you had a very good 2005 (I had a good year, too). Here's to another good year and interesting rides in 2006. Best wishes,

    Mark
    Hawaii was much busier than my wife and I expected and we both separately noted the contrast to the quiet Ariege Pyrenees. We drove to the start of just about all our rides to avoid the main highway traffic, but once off the main roads the cycling was very beautiful and diverse. Hopefully you and everyone else has started planning their 2006 touring itinerary.

    cheers,
    Steve
    steephill.tv bike travelogue

  6. #6
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,956

    2006 Touring

    Quote Originally Posted by steephill
    Hopefully you and everyone else has started planning their 2006 touring itinerary.

    cheers,
    Steve
    Your message reminded me that I really need to start planning for 2006. At this point the most important thing for me is to get outside and ride. The weather has not been great on the East Coast lately. But, given what I read in the news reports, we have nothing about which to complain compared to what you are having in Northern California. I'm supposed to be in SF on January 20. Do you think things will be dried out by then?
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  7. #7
    The view is the reward
    Reputation: steephill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    But, given what I read in the news reports, we have nothing about which to complain compared to what you are having in Northern California. I'm supposed to be in SF on January 20. Do you think things will be dried out by then?
    Yes, it's been raining a lot out here. It rained for entire week in the Bay Area while we were in Hawaii. The weather shouldn't be quite so bad near the end of January but it will still be the rainy season so come prepared.
    steephill.tv bike travelogue

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook