You do not quit or walk.
    Mar 2006

PI Zephrr vs. PI Optik Jackets

Can the Zephrr size XXL be stuff into a jersey pocket? How durable is the Optik compared to the Zephrr. Which one is a better choice for 30 to 50 degrees with heavy fog/drizzle/light rain to clear cold days. Will likely double for mountainbiking. The Zephrr looks more durable than the Optik.

Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct 2005
    I have a Zephyr jacket. And it's XXL.

Nice thing that I like about it is that the fabric seems to be a bit "thicker" to resist the wind and help maintain the warmth inside the layers underneath.

If I don't need it, I fold it up into thirds vertically, then starting from the collar, roll it up into a cylinder. Then I stuff it into the center back pocket of my bike jersey.

Alternately, I travel along with a bungee cord and lash the cylinderized jacket to the underside of my bicycle seat. (I usually do this since I don’t like to have stuff hanging off my back). Maybe it doesn't quite look the cycling style, but phfffft to that.

I like the jacket and really like the fabric stuff in the collar. As far as durability, no probelms from that aspect -- I've had it over the summer and no issues with spontaneous deconstruction.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoVeloDude
    I have a Zephyr jacket. And it's XXL.

Nice thing that I like about it is that the fabric seems to be a bit "thicker" to resist the wind and help maintain the warmth inside the layers underneath.

If I don't need it, I fold it up into thirds vertically, then starting from the collar, roll it up into a cylinder. Then I stuff it into the center back pocket of my bike jersey.

Alternately, I travel along with a bungee cord and lash the cylinderized jacket to the underside of my bicycle seat. (I usually do this since I donít like to have stuff hanging off my back). Maybe it doesn't quite look the cycling style, but phfffft to that.

I like the jacket and really like the fabric stuff in the collar. As far as durability, no probelms from that aspect -- I've had it over the summer and no issues with spontaneous deconstruction.
    +1 on the PI...I have a L and it is a great vest. Fits in a jersey pocket easy. Warm on cold mornings and keeps the rain off. The fleece collar is great when it's colder.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The Zephyr is a great jacket. I think mine is an XL, but rolled up it is a little smaller than a soda can. Fits very nicely in the jersey pocket.

johnny99
    Apr 2004
    I have both the PI Optik and Zephyr jackets. The Optik is much thinner and more breathable and more compressible. It is, however, not as windproof or as waterproof as the Zephyr jacket. I prefer breathability to perfect weather resistance; the Zephyr jacket was too stuffy for me when climbing in cold weather. Also, the Optik compresses to less than half the size of the Zephyr, which makes it great for emergency use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have the Zephyr jacket. It is great but I do not think you will like it for temps in the thirties. As for me, I only wear it 45 degrees or warmer. I have the PI Gavia Jacket for below 45 degrees.

Dennis
    "If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...then you obviously haven't realized the severity of the situation"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Zephyr probably not good for the 30's.....I agree with the poster above... this jacket is probably good for temps in the mid 40's- 50's. It does a fine job of keeping the wind and rain off, and it breaths well. I have used it in the high 30's but I'm bundled up like the Michelin Man. You could try a high tech (and expensive) base layer and see how that works..I've found the base layer makes more of a difference than my jacket.