Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Pit Bull in Portland!

3K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  mpre53 
#1 ·
It's 2 1/2 weeks ago now that I got bit by a Pit Bull @ 927 NE Prescott in Portland. FYI, here's what animal control does if the owners move out between the bite and Monday morning when an animal control officer goes to the house: shrug, and say "sorry".

#2 ·
Oh wow.

Are you going to court for a new bicycle?

#4 ·
This is how these inflammatory stories happen.
How do you know it was an American Pitbull Terrier ?

As a APBT owner this type of blanket statement bothers me.

Find the "Pit Bull"
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Regardless sorry to hear you got bit/scratched by a large headed dog. Terribly irresponsible of the owners to allow the dog to be running around loose on the streets, zero reason for that. Irresponsible/negegent owners ruin it for everyone.

Glad it wasn't too serious.

#6 ·
inflammatory stories

Somebody better tell the researchers who study fatal attacks by dogs about mistaken breed identity. After the bite, I read up and found that there have been several such studies that place the percentage of fatal maulings by Pit Bulls in the 25 - 41 percent range. That's of all deaths do to mauling by all of the hundreds of breeds in the world. No matter how you count it, that's at least 1 in 4. As disturbing, is that the vast majority of the deceased were members of the dog's owner family.

The "Find the Pit Bull" photos were really small on my computer, but I'd say #16 was the closest. The coloring was a bit off, and my biter was stockier - more like 13 but with longer ears.

This is how these inflammatory stories happen.
How do you know it was an American Pitbull Terrier ?

As a APBT owner this type of blanket statement bothers me.

Find the "Pit Bull"
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Regardless sorry to hear you got bit/scratched by a large headed dog. Terribly irresponsible of the owners to allow the dog to be running around loose on the streets, zero reason for that. Irresponsible/negegent owners ruin it for everyone.

Glad it wasn't too serious.

#7 ·
Hire a lawyer, preferably one who's cycling friendly. They'll track down the offenders then notify notify Animal Control. After the legal charges stick, they'll file the civil charges because the legal charges stick, the civil charges will more readily win the lawsuit.

Bring your photos and copies of any police reports with you. Most lawyers will provide an initial consultation for free and only charge you if they win the case.

#9 ·
It sucks but its a DOG bite. Not a pit bull bite. Not a rott bite or any other breed.

I've been bit by far more small dogs than I have big dogs and I volunteer for a dog rescue.

File a police report if you havent already. That is the only way to get something done. AC wont really care unless its a serious offense. They are overworked and under paid for their job.

#13 ·
More importantly, there is now no way to ascertain the dog's vaccination status with regard to rabies. Consult a physician or Portland public health officials to see if they recommend post-exposure prophylaxis for you. I'm alarmed that the local AC doesn't seem worried about this.

#14 ·
I thought I was done couple months ago when 2 pits bulls came out of nowhere to attack me. Big heavyset animals but that makes them slow. and they don't leap and rip your throat out like more lithe animals. 2 of them instinctively work as a team and the other one sneaks up behind u. so i used my bike as a shield swinging 180 back and forth in a tactical retreat and u can see their intensity relent as u move out of their "territory." i was lucky and almost forgot it happened but never go by that place again.

#19 ·
Lets see I can remember when German Shepherds were the bad boys, then the Doberman Pinschers, then the Rottweiler. During that time frame I was bit by a small mutt.

Here is one top ten list for dangerous dogs.

http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elz3QXOUqec

and here is different list

http://listverse.com/2012/05/04/top-10-deceptively-dangerous-dog-breeds/

It is the dog not the breed that needs to be of concern.

Here is one more on not breeds but the dog.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...Ohio-removes-pit-bulls-from-vicious-dogs-list

#21 ·
Post all the insults and meaningless fluff links you want. They're still responsible for at least 1 of every 4 deaths by dog mauling - per research spanning decades. And most often the deceased is a member of the owner family.

#25 ·
And it may be because of the "type" of human that has adopted these dogs. Those who want "strong, mean" type dogs and do NOT socialize these dogs properly and train them to be vicious. Any dog adopted by this type of human can attack, even a Golden Retriever or a Black Lab. As bmach stated, at one time it was doberman, then rotties. It's what ever dog society seems to classify as "vicious" at the time. At one time pitbulls were not considered a vicious breed. Remember Petey from Little Rascals?

NO child should be left alone with a dog, no matter how much the adults trust the dog, that is basic common sense. A dog is an animal and therefore thinks and reacts based on instincts.

Anyways, I am sorry you got bitten, brujenn, and wish you a speedy recovery. I hope you do check in with your doctor, if you haven't already.

#22 ·
Riding near my parents house last week, I was almost intercepted by a German Shepard who was honed in on my trajectory and coming fast from someones yard. Can't believe how fast that dog was, and he must have chased me for 1/4 mile. I had to sprint up to 35 mph to pull away from him lol.

Or it might have been a pit bull that ripped a chunk of skin out of my ankle as I rode past. Not sure.

#29 ·
Sorry I slandered pit bulls.

I will try to educate myself about dog breeds later. The dogs that attacked me were chocolate brown very muscular very pronounced taper. The owner must have took pains to achieve that look. And about 50 pounds. If I saw those dogs coming
down the street with their owners I would have been on guard even if they weren't overtly threatening.

If I didn't get away from those dogs I'm not sure I'd be here to tell my story. But if I was bitten and the first response I elicit was a lecture belittling my knowledge of dog breeds well gotta get that out the way first.

#30 ·
Do they have forwarding address? If they were renting maybe the landlord can help you?

Sucks that the owners and the dog are gone but I would've involved the cops right off the bat. I will call 911 and say a pit bull attacked and injured me. That will bring a response.

They can sort out the correct species of dog later. I call it a "target"

#38 ·
NateDieselF4i - I'm an engineer "type" so I look for real data. I don't know of any dog that can lock its jaw, and I have no info on bite pressure by breed. I've heard that APBTs have powerful jaws and hold tenaciously when they bite. Both of those things sound likely to be true, but I don't have any data, so neither is something that I would repeat other than to tell you that I've heard them - since you brought it up.

I had a good view to see that this dog went for a wide bite, but his teeth slid against my skin until he had gathered up enough skin to pinch between his upper and lower jaws. You can see evidence of that in the 2nd photo. He released nearly immediately.

The insult wasn't from you, or to me. I didn't say either of those things. I'll bet if you look back through the thread you can find at least one.

The links bmach posted were meaningless fluff.

I read summations of studies published by the folks who conducted the research. I'm not going to track them down for you.

#39 ·
Dog bite pressure

Pitbull pressure bite was 235 lbs
German Shepherd bite was 238 lbs
Bulldog bite was 305 lbs
Wild Dogs bite force was 317 lbs
Rottweiler bite force was 328 lbs
Wolf bite force was 406
Mastiff (test dog was a Dogue de Bordeaux) was 556 lbs
Turkish Kangal was 714 lbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.