Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RBR Veteran Opinionater

Pit Bull in Portland!

It's 2 1/2 weeks ago now that I got bit by a Pit Bull @ 927 NE Prescott in Portland. FYI, here's what animal control does if the owners move out between the bite and Monday morning when an animal control officer goes to the house: shrug, and say "sorry".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bull in Portland!-2012-09-27_18-13-43_329.jpg   Pit Bull in Portland!-2012-09-29_23-28-14_313.jpg  
    Escalate. Always escalate.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Oh wow.

Are you going to court for a new bicycle?
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... was expecting...

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is how these inflammatory stories happen.
    How do you know it was an American Pitbull Terrier ?

As a APBT owner this type of blanket statement bothers me.

Find the "Pit Bull"
    http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Regardless sorry to hear you got bit/scratched by a large headed dog. Terribly irresponsible of the owners to allow the dog to be running around loose on the streets, zero reason for that. Irresponsible/negegent owners ruin it for everyone.

Glad it wasn't too serious.
    2012 Cannondale Supersix 105

2013 Cannondale Badboy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ... was expecting...
    Me too! lol

RBR Veteran Opinionater

inflammatory stories

Somebody better tell the researchers who study fatal attacks by dogs about mistaken breed identity. After the bite, I read up and found that there have been several such studies that place the percentage of fatal maulings by Pit Bulls in the 25 - 41 percent range. That's of all deaths do to mauling by all of the hundreds of breeds in the world. No matter how you count it, that's at least 1 in 4. As disturbing, is that the vast majority of the deceased were members of the dog's owner family.

The "Find the Pit Bull" photos were really small on my computer, but I'd say #16 was the closest. The coloring was a bit off, and my biter was stockier - more like 13 but with longer ears.

Quote Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i View Post
    This is how these inflammatory stories happen.
    How do you know it was an American Pitbull Terrier ?

As a APBT owner this type of blanket statement bothers me.

Find the "Pit Bull"
    Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Regardless sorry to hear you got bit/scratched by a large headed dog. Terribly irresponsible of the owners to allow the dog to be running around loose on the streets, zero reason for that. Irresponsible/negegent owners ruin it for everyone.

Glad it wasn't too serious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Hire a lawyer, preferably one who's cycling friendly. They'll track down the offenders then notify notify Animal Control. After the legal charges stick, they'll file the civil charges because the legal charges stick, the civil charges will more readily win the lawsuit.

Bring your photos and copies of any police reports with you. Most lawyers will provide an initial consultation for free and only charge you if they win the case.

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by brujenn View Post
    Somebody better tell the researchers who study fatal attacks by dogs about mistaken breed identity. After the bite, I read up and found that there have been several such studies that place the percentage of fatal maulings by Pit Bulls in the 25 - 41 percent range. That's of all deaths do to mauling by all of the hundreds of breeds in the world. No matter how you count it, that's at least 1 in 4. As disturbing, is that the vast majority of the deceased were members of the dog's owner family.

The "Find the Pit Bull" photos were really small on my computer, but I'd say #16 was the closest. The coloring was a bit off, and my biter was stockier - more like 13 but with longer ears.
    Actually, the CDC statistics point out the exact problem mentioned by NateDieselF4. In most statistics, for instance the ones CDC posts, pit bulls are defined as "pit-bull types" which is the combination of at least three breeds yet the numbers are compared to other single breeds like rottweilers (which I believe used to be the leading breed for fatal attacks prior to pit-bull type). Local jurisdictions even sometimes define pit bulls as essentially "anything that looks like a pit bull." That's not very useful, particularly when most people already have been taught to automatically think pit bull if a dog bites someone.

Sorry about the bite. It's good that you reported it even if they didn't immediately do anything about it since it makes it easier to identify a repeat offender and force some action.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    It sucks but its a DOG bite. Not a pit bull bite. Not a rott bite or any other breed.

I've been bit by far more small dogs than I have big dogs and I volunteer for a dog rescue.

File a police report if you havent already. That is the only way to get something done. AC wont really care unless its a serious offense. They are overworked and under paid for their job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Get ready for the pit bull excuse brigade to be shocked that a pit bull did what the breed was bred to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner68 View Post
    Get ready for the pit bull excuse brigade to be shocked that a pit bull did what the breed was bred to do.
    You do realize that the majority of household dogs bigger than a purse were bred to hunt and kill things right? Any dog can bite. Like I said, I've been bit by small breeds far more than large.

Oh well, I guess ignorance is bliss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Maybe I live a sheltered life but the pit bullsthat live in my neighborhood (or pit bull like dogs) are the sweetest things. Sure, they can be taught to fight and be agressive but that is another issue.

In any event, sorry that you were bitten.

Rainrider
    More importantly, there is now no way to ascertain the dog's vaccination status with regard to rabies. Consult a physician or Portland public health officials to see if they recommend post-exposure prophylaxis for you. I'm alarmed that the local AC doesn't seem worried about this.

yellow is mellow
    Nov 2001
    I thought I was done couple months ago when 2 pits bulls came out of nowhere to attack me. Big heavyset animals but that makes them slow. and they don't leap and rip your throat out like more lithe animals. 2 of them instinctively work as a team and the other one sneaks up behind u. so i used my bike as a shield swinging 180 back and forth in a tactical retreat and u can see their intensity relent as u move out of their "territory." i was lucky and almost forgot it happened but never go by that place again.
    The nail that sticks out gets hammered down

Masters Neophyte
    Where ya been? They started 11 hours ago!
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    You do realize that the majority of household dogs bigger than a purse were bred to hunt and kill things right? Any dog can bite. Like I said, I've been bit by small breeds far more than large.

Oh well, I guess ignorance is bliss.
    Even some coin purse sized ones! Skipperkeys, dachshunds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Actually, the CDC statistics point out the exact problem mentioned by NateDieselF4. In most statistics, for instance the ones CDC posts, pit bulls are defined as "pit-bull types" which is the combination of at least three breeds yet the numbers are compared to other single breeds like rottweilers (which I believe used to be the leading breed for fatal attacks prior to pit-bull type). Local jurisdictions even sometimes define pit bulls as essentially "anything that looks like a pit bull." That's not very useful, particularly when most people already have been taught to automatically think pit bull if a dog bites someone.

Sorry about the bite. It's good that you reported it even if they didn't immediately do anything about it since it makes it easier to identify a repeat offender and force some action.
    Good points. And true.

Quote Originally Posted by paper warrior View Post
    I thought I was done couple months ago when 2 pits bulls came out of nowhere to attack me. Big heavyset animals but that makes them slow. and they don't leap and rip your throat out like more lithe animals. 2 of them instinctively work as a team and the other one sneaks up behind u. so i used my bike as a shield swinging 180 back and forth in a tactical retreat and u can see their intensity relent as u move out of their "territory." i was lucky and almost forgot it happened but never go by that place again.
    Ugh this has so much wrong info it's crazy.

The words "heavyset" and "pit bulls" do not go together at all. The breed gets no larger than 65lbs. Anything larger is mixed with something or more than likely an entirely different breed.

There is also nothing slow about an APBT - they're like the free safety in football.... Light, muscled, fast, athletic. They excel in sports etc. lithe is exactly what a pit bill is.

I won't even comment on your pit bull "battle tactics" segment.

Sounds more like Cane Corso or Preso size (120lbs plus) however they aren't slow either. But this just goes to show you how everything is a "Pitbull" attack.

Educate yourself before you discriminate.
    2012 Cannondale Supersix 105

2013 Cannondale Badboy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paper warrior View Post
    Hey, this could have just as easily happened if those two mutts were dachshunds, which are eight inches tall and can be drop kicked for one point apiece. Don't blame the innocent pit bulls. That is ignorant prejudice against a noble breed that is no more likely to tear your throat out than a chihuahua.
    Last edited by trailrunner68; 10-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Did you know that only women should be in the kitchen?

I seriously can't believe the level of ignorance by some so called adults.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Lets see I can remember when German Shepherds were the bad boys, then the Doberman Pinschers, then the Rottweiler. During that time frame I was bit by a small mutt.

Here is one top ten list for dangerous dogs.

http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-1...ous-dog-breeds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elz3QXOUqec

and here is different list

http://listverse.com/2012/05/04/top-...us-dog-breeds/

It is the dog not the breed that needs to be of concern.

Here is one more on not breeds but the dog.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-...ious-dogs-list

RoadBikeReview Member
    It was actually bred to herd cattle. One of the reasons why they have heads like cement.

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    Post all the insults and meaningless fluff links you want. They're still responsible for at least 1 of every 4 deaths by dog mauling - per research spanning decades. And most often the deceased is a member of the owner family.

Not a climber
    Riding near my parents house last week, I was almost intercepted by a German Shepard who was honed in on my trajectory and coming fast from someones yard. Can't believe how fast that dog was, and he must have chased me for 1/4 mile. I had to sprint up to 35 mph to pull away from him lol.

Or it might have been a pit bull that ripped a chunk of skin out of my ankle as I rode past. Not sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Down here the LBS recommends riding with a can of 20 ft wasp and hornet spray in a bottle cage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Riding near my parents house last week, I was almost intercepted by a German Shepard who was honed in on my trajectory and coming fast from someones yard. Can't believe how fast that dog was, and he must have chased me for 1/4 mile. I had to sprint up to 35 mph to pull away from him lol.
    Good for training!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brujenn View Post
    Post all the insults and meaningless fluff links you want. They're still responsible for at least 1 of every 4 deaths by dog mauling - per research spanning decades. And most often the deceased is a member of the owner family.
    And it may be because of the "type" of human that has adopted these dogs. Those who want "strong, mean" type dogs and do NOT socialize these dogs properly and train them to be vicious. Any dog adopted by this type of human can attack, even a Golden Retriever or a Black Lab. As bmach stated, at one time it was doberman, then rotties. It's what ever dog society seems to classify as "vicious" at the time. At one time pitbulls were not considered a vicious breed. Remember Petey from Little Rascals?

NO child should be left alone with a dog, no matter how much the adults trust the dog, that is basic common sense. A dog is an animal and therefore thinks and reacts based on instincts.

Anyways, I am sorry you got bitten, brujenn, and wish you a speedy recovery. I hope you do check in with your doctor, if you haven't already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast