RoadBikeReview Member

place to ride in Fort Lauderdale

Hi, I will be in Florida in the next month, and the hotel will be on the beach, but I know it is not the best place to ride over there on the A1A or in the streets around. I will be with my 15 year old son. WE want to ride up to 2 hours with some intervals if its possible, let me know if you have advice and some good places..

thank you
    JIM
    2010 Cannondale super six HM liquigas (sram red) sold
    2009 Cannondale caad 9 BB30 Team (sram red)
    2008 Cannondale caad 9 (dura ace) sold
    2007 Cannondale caad 8 (ultegra) sold
    2007 Cannondale six 13 team bb30 (sram red)
    2006 Opus vivace (ultegra) sold

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    There are some group rides. Almost all head north up A1A. There are bike lanes but you still have to watch for cars not paying attention. Lots of condos with retired people and vacationers, neither seem to pay attention. Less traffic as you get north. You can go south but you have to work your way around the port and the airport. Stay off US1. If you are set on going south take Andrews Av which ends near the airport, then a few more roads will get you to US1 and Griffin, look it up on a map and you will see how to get back on A1A. Better to just go north. If you are interested in group rides send me a message. Hot and humid this time of year. Plus lots of thunderstorms. Would go for a ride with you but in Italy for the summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shotojs78 View Post
    Hi, I will be in Florida in the next month, and the hotel will be on the beach, but I know it is not the best place to ride over there on the A1A or in the streets around. I will be with my 15 year old son. WE want to ride up to 2 hours with some intervals if its possible, let me know if you have advice and some good places..

thank you
    JIM
    Do you want to hammer? The hardest group ride is the don pan group ride. It leaves from coconut grove, coco walk Starbucks at 740am.
    There is also the Westin fliers group and The aventura group ride which comes shouts on Sunday. I think that you can find a website dedicated to all these rides.
    Just want the chill? Come down to key biscayne and ride in the key. It is relatively safer than many places.
    You can head down south on Collins Ave. the one that is next to the ocean and do a nice trip to Miami Beach perhaps?
    I have never go north past the end of the A1A.
    You can also see strava rides and routes.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Florida, not a good place to ride this time of year. It's too humid and hot. Why do you think they start a ride at 7:40 AM?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Earlier the better. It is not so bad if there are no thunderstorms forecast for early morning. Considering you are in South Florida, along the beach is tolerable. Sometimes it is hot and humid early, sometimes not so bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

Bad Advice

Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    Do you want to hammer? The hardest group ride is the don pan group ride. It leaves from coconut grove, coco walk Starbucks at 740am.
    There is also the Westin fliers group and The aventura group ride which comes shouts on Sunday. I think that you can find a website dedicated to all these rides.
    Just want the chill? Come down to key biscayne and ride in the key. It is relatively safer than many places.
    You can head down south on Collins Ave. the one that is next to the ocean and do a nice trip to Miami Beach perhaps?
    I have never go north past the end of the A1A.
    You can also see strava rides and routes.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude,

Can you give the guy any worse advice?

He's in Ft. Lauderdale, on the beach..

Coconut Grove is a 45 minute car ride away.

Weston, a half an hour by car.

Aventura, 20-25 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale beach and those guys ride like idiots down to Key Biscayne.

Key Biscayne is also 40 minutes away by car.

Heading down Collins on A1A to South Beach from Ft. Lauderdale? You can get lost pretty easily and have to go around the port and the airport. I've done it many times from Hollywood and it's a little effing crazy with a decent chance of having run ins with drivers.

The drivers buzz you all the time.

You've never gone past Dania Beach Blvd and around the airport? This guy is starting 10 miles north of where you never ride past..

To the OP, you can ride from Ft Lauderdale, north on A1A and it's about 13 miles to Deerfield Beach, 18 to Boca Raton, and maybe 25 to Delray Beach.

The riding isn't bad and is flat. Yes it's hot but it's a lot cooler than riding inland. You're within a couple hundred yards of the ocean.

You can do a loop around Bayview Avenue and also ride down Las Olas Blvd into Downtown Ft Lauderdale but there's a little traffic and you kind of have to know where you're going..

The best bet is an out and back up north on A1A like I mentioned above, through Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, on to Deerfield, Boca, Highland, and Delray. Above Delray, there's no bike lane for some sections. Below there's usually at least a paved shoulder..
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 07-17-2017 at 05:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Florida, not a good place to ride this time of year. It's too humid and hot. Why do you think they start a ride at 7:40 AM?
    Just North of Fort Lauderdale, here, and all our groups seem to meet at 7 AM, not 7:40.

The heat and humidity isn't a problem for 7 AM rides.

OP,

A1A, North, is the direction to go. But it's even better if you can drive or be driven to one of the meeting areas for the 7 AM rides.

The Boca Tour Strava group will give you guys ideas on where people start. https://www.strava.com/clubs/bocatour
    Last edited by GammaDriver; 07-23-2017 at 06:27 PM.