RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

Please recommend a glove (or other solution) for median nerve troubles

I have ongoing issues with median nerve compression (tingling thumb and index finger). I have a 2 hour per day bike commute. I've played with various fit issues. It's not horrible, just not perfect. Lack of core strength is likely a contributing factor.

I have cheap old gloves with no padding at the moment. I've read good things about Specialized BG gel gloves.

Any recommendations?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    I've played with various fit issues.
    You should play more with fit.
    Padded gloves isn't a good solution for nerve compression. Pretty much any decent glove with padding is ok.

I Love PAIN
    Where do you normally ride, aka what is your hand position? On the hoods, in the drops? I just switched to an Easton EA30 Aero Bar, which has the flat wings on top for an extra hand position. VERY VERY comfortable and gives you another place to put your hands. Might be worth a look.

The bars were $50.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    I move from hoods to drops mainly, little time on tops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I generally go for as little padding as possible as I have really beefy hands and I've had lots of problems with numbness on rides as well (I look like popeye with big hands, tiny wrists, and large arms/upper body... I just need the small waist but I like beer too much for that)

for fingerless I use Castelli aero gloves (can be expensive at like $40+ish)

and for full fingered/ mtb gloves I use the Giro DND (can be found for like 10 bucks, retail is about 20 I think)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Like others have said or implied, thicker padding is not likely the answer, in fact, in my experience, thick padding hurt my hands because the way it was designed, it seemed to concentrate the pressure in certain areas.

Fit: seat a bit further back behind the pedals, saddle tilted up a bit more, made me sit back, better balanced over the pedals, greatly reducing hand pressure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    alternatively, try taking weight off your hands by moving your saddle back a bit (and a tad down)....moving weight back takes weight of your hands.

this is 10 times better than any glove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Please recommend a glove (or other solution) for median nerve troubles

You are probably right on the core strength. When I do core training regularly I do not have this problem. When I do nothing but ride I do.

Do a good core training session on your cycling off days.

And I have to start practicing what I preach. But even the trainer is more fun than that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like many who already commented, I find padding to counterproductive. It pushes up between the natural pads of your hands putting pressure in the wrong spots. I use gloves with minimal or no padding. In some cases I've removed padding from gloves. As an experiment, try riding with no gloves and see how that works.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I had the same problem for years.

It was solved by:
    1) Better bike fit, which shifted my weight toward the back wheel and off my hands.
    2) Being constantly aware of keeping my elbows bent during a ride
    3) Shifting hand position often and not locking into one position for too long
    4) Occasionally shrugging my shoulders and shaking out my arms to keep lactic acid moving

I am not a believer in glove padding making much difference in hand numbness. Bike position and riding position make the biggest difference, IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like every one here have said, the glove padding would not do any help for your situation. I use thick glove padding for my MTB, not for cushioning from vibration but from avoiding to get calluses. Its the grip design on my bike. Then moving on to road bike, those thick padded glove actually hinders my hand function and it creates a lot of stress on my hands. I went to use thin padded gloves or ride without one.

If you experience nerve compression, changing hand position from time to time helps and find a way to ease off your weight to the front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try better gloves, I just got a pair of Sugoi Evolution gloves that are nicely padded and not thinly padded like most, but not overly thick either, and they were reasonably priced.

Also try some better bar tape like Fizik Performance tape, they have great cushioning, come in a variety of colors, and are not expensive either. There are good bar tapes too but I like that brand because they seem to resist staining better and their easier to clean then others I've tried.

Bike positioning is important too, make sure the bars are not so low you're putting a lot of your weight on your hands, the weight should be mostly on your butt, so try raising the bars about a 1/2 inch and see what happens.

But some people have problems with hand pain, and only proper gloves and bar tape will reduce it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Try some Spenco gloves. They're terrific! My faves are the Rip Its. IME they're the best you can buy. They fit well, are comfy, have a HUGE, soft surface for wiping, & are very easy on & off. Good stuff.
    Spenco Cycling Gloves - Rip-It
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Any recommendations?
    Try a recumbent?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    I had the same problem for years.

It was solved by:
    1) Better bike fit, which shifted my weight toward the back wheel and off my hands.
    2) Being constantly aware of keeping my elbows bent during a ride
    3) Shifting hand position often and not locking into one position for too long
    4) Occasionally shrugging my shoulders and shaking out my arms to keep lactic acid moving

I am not a believer in glove padding making much difference in hand numbness. Bike position and riding position make the biggest difference, IMO.
    ^^^^ Best answer
    Occasionally I'll put a hand behind my back (practice using your pockets).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Thumbs up Specialized BG the best

I have ongoing issues with median nerve compression (tingling thumb and index finger). I have a 2 hour per day bike commute. I've played with various fit issues. It's not horrible, just not perfect. Lack of core strength is likely a contributing factor.

I have cheap old gloves with no padding at the moment. I've read good things about Specialized BG gel gloves.

Any recommendations?
    Specialized BG the best!!