Thread: Polar opposite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Polar opposite

This is what happens when you bike in Tucson. Bizzaro World. January should see me back up to 1K miles/month. I was working a third shift job in '09, physically, the hardest job I've ever had. Didn't even consider riding for fun.
    Once June hits, I kinda shut it down till I can ride and not put myself into heat exhaustion.
    Funny, it wasn't a problem a decade ago.
    As a disclaimer, these are strictly recreational/training miles. None of these charts include the 70 miles/week commuting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polar opposite-monthly_chart.php.png  
    Last edited by Jesse D Smith; 12-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I never could understand why riders in Tucson didn't offset their season to coincide with cooler weather. Seems strange. I think there'd be a bunch of opportunity for 'racing tourism' if there were a series of winter races...

I know *I* got fat in the summer when temps got too high. I had a buddy that useta get up at 0330 to ride. No thanks!

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MShaw View Post
    I never could understand why riders in Tucson didn't offset their season to coincide with cooler weather. Seems strange. I think there'd be a bunch of opportunity for 'racing tourism' if there were a series of winter races...

I know *I* got fat in the summer when temps got too high. I had a buddy that useta get up at 0330 to ride. No thanks!

M
    Not that it's like winter in many other places but it's not that warm during the winter. I've raced in snow there once.
    Besides season starts in february.
    edit: make that mid january from 2012
    Last edited by den bakker; 12-29-2011 at 06:22 AM.
    Blows your hair back.

weird huh?
    Lived in Tucson for 20+ years. What's great about it is you can ride 12 months a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Lived in Tucson for 20+ years. What's great about it is you can ride 12 months a year.
    sucks balls through monsoon though.
    Just as cold/wet weather elsewhere sucks.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    This is my second year in South Louisiana and I wonder the same thing. Right now we're having what I consider perfect cycling weather yet the only cycling club in my area has NO scheduled rides for the next month or so. Sure it's been a bit foggy in the early morning, but when its in the 60s and mid 70s, riding later in the day is an option. Sure it will cool off into the 50s for a week or so, but even the 50s are comfy enough to ride.

I get the lack the week day afternoon rides due to daylight savings, but I'm still trying to figure out why the club doesn't schedule rides during the "winter."

Special guest
    Hmm, I thought this was going to be a thread about a new heart rate monitor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Ride schecule

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why the club doesn't schedule rides during the "winter."
    Club rides typically require a ride leader. Apparently nobody is willing to take on that task this time of year. If you're willing to be a ride leader for your club, then you could both have rides to go on and be a service to your club. Bike clubs depend on volunteers, not on the people who depend on volunteers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Club rides typically require a ride leader. Apparently nobody is willing to take on that task this time of year. If you're willing to be a ride leader for your club, then you could both have rides to go on and be a service to your club. Bike clubs depend on volunteers, not on the people who depend on volunteers.
    Yes, I know. I've volunteered a few times and am getting back in town after traveling for the holidays and noticed that calender has gone to zero.