RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Police dealing with stolen bike in London

Was working in the bike shop today when late in the evening 3 guys not past 18 years old come into the shop asking how much a bike is worth and if we would buy it etc etc.... was clearly the wrong size for them and the front spokes were cut, straight away I flagged the bike was most likely stolen.

Eventually they left but I was concerned this was someones means of transport that meant a lot to them so i follow the group of guys and phoned the non-emergency police number suspecting a bike theft. Thankfully the 3 guys stayed in the area and the police showed up.

I directed the police and they questioned these guys for what seemed like a good 15 minutes before leaving them be. They popped back into the store and said there names checked out and the bike hadn't been reported stolen so theres nothing they could do.

It really is a shame because all the guys working in the shop were pretty much 90% sure this bike had been nicked and that the owner just didn't know yet hence no stolen report...

Does anyone know if the police follow this up say the next day and check again if that frame number has been reported stolen after their questioning? Of course they are innocent until proven guilty but all a bit suspicious for my liking...

I'll always regard bike thieves as the scum of the earth....

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Did you examine the bike to pretend like you were appraising it but covertly writing down the serial number?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Unfortunately we didn't it was quite a quick "how much would you say this is worth, do you buy second hand bikes" To which we gave one word answers of "£xxx" and "no" and then they left, which is when we all collectively though - s**t, thats stolen. But the police got the serial number so hopefully they'll follow it up.

Next time I will endeavour to be more cunning!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Nice try, anyway.
    Don't believe everything you think.