View Poll Results: What would happen to a frame if struck by lightning?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing at all, the bike will be fine

    5 33.33%
  • Tires will rupture

    4 26.67%
  • Cable casing will melt

    4 26.67%
  • Hubs and rear cassette will fuse

    1 6.67%
  • Frame will crack

    5 33.33%
  • Frame will explode

    1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    125

    Question Poll: What would happen to a road bike struck by lightning?

    The thread below got me thinking about this. What exactly would happen to a road frame if it were struck by lightning? I did a little digging on the web and can't find any discussion about this. There are a couple stories about people being struck while riding, but nothing about the effects to the bike. I did see photo and story about a guy who got struck carrying a graphite fishing pole and the pole was a mess. So what do you think would happen?
    Last edited by Free2Pedal; 05-30-2004 at 11:13 AM.

  2. #2
    eminence grease
    Reputation: terry b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,561
    5. Rider becomes a cinder so it doesn't matter what happens to the frame.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    125

    Lets call this a controlled trial...no rider

    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    5. Rider becomes a cinder so it doesn't matter what happens to the frame.
    Lightning will strike the bike in a sealed chamber. You are the scientist, what will happen to the bike?

  4. #4
    blame me for missed rides
    Reputation: weather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    350
    what is the frame made of?

  5. #5
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,579
    If you have ever read the Stephen King story, "Christine", you know that the frame will become an evil, killer bike.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    125

    Lets go with Alu for the purpose of the poll

    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    what is the frame made of?
    But feel free to discuss the affects you think the strike would have on various materials. From your handle, I take it you have a at least a little expertise in meso activity. Are you a professional in the field or hobbiest? I'm a spotter (turning chaser) in NE IL. Taking the day off though, its been a busy spring.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Crankist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    408

    Thats easy

    Quote Originally Posted by Free2Pedal
    The thread below got me thinking about this. What exactly would happen to a road frame if it were struck by lightning? I did a little digging on the web and can't find any discussion about this. There are a couple stories about people being struck while riding, but nothing about the effects to the bike. I did see photo and story about a guy who got struck carrying a graphite fishing pole and the pole was a mess. So what do you think would happen?
    Just a wild guess...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    03 Fuji Marseille
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    596

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Free2Pedal
    The thread below got me thinking about this. What exactly would happen to a road frame if it were struck by lightning? I did a little digging on the web and can't find any discussion about this. There are a couple stories about people being struck while riding, but nothing about the effects to the bike. I did see photo and story about a guy who got struck carrying a graphite fishing pole and the pole was a mess. So what do you think would happen?

    Gee,i wonder why you couldnt find a discussion about this? What would happen to my underware if a bull ate them? What would happen to my D#*^ if i had sex 50 times a night for a year? No discussions on these either i bet.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead1
    Gee,i wonder why you couldnt find a discussion about this? What would happen to my underware if a bull ate them? What would happen to my D#*^ if i had sex 50 times a night for a year? No discussions on these either i bet.
    One time I was struck by lightening and it melted all the brass out of the joints in the frame and my bike turned into a bunch of pipes lying on the ground. Luckily, nothing happened to my D#*^ after having sex 50 times a night for a year.

  10. #10
    03 Fuji Marseille
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie m
    One time I was struck by lightening and it melted all the brass out of the joints in the frame and my bike turned into a bunch of pipes lying on the ground. Luckily, nothing happened to my D#*^ after having sex 50 times a night for a year.
    You must be the man made of Ti and dam lucky to. LOL
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

Similar Threads

  1. whooo are you? who who, who who?
    By haiku d'etat in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 04:24 AM
  2. 1st road or cyclocross bike, for $1000 to $1400
    By TrailNut in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 02:08 AM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 09:41 AM
  4. First time road bike buyer in the UK.
    By bodger in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 07:00 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

EUROBIKE

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook