Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windrider (Stubborn)

Pop goes the Ottrott (or I almost stuck the landing)

So I'm on vacation out on the outer Banks of NC. First Day on Sunday, I go out for a ride on my Ottrott ST. I'm heading back from Carolla, going thru Duck. There is a line of traffic trying to get back to the Highway, I'm on a bike path on the inside of traffic moving along at a reasonable clip. when much to my surprise, a car, coming the other direction, trying to turn into a resturant, accelerates in front of a stopped SUV, and is suddenly right in front of me. I never get a chance to hit the brakes, hit his right rear quarter panel. I hear the fork snap as the front of the bike stops while I continue forward. My thighs hit the collapsing handlebars and I proceed to somersault over the rear deck of the car. I am now looking down at my bike bouncing away from the car in two pieces. I tumble over again, still in the air. The first thing that hits the ground is the back of my helmet as I continue to roll. I roll forward on my back and almost end up in a standing position before settling back, flat on my back about 25 ft from the car. I lay stunned for a moment as I hear the driver say: "I never saw him, I never looked!"

Physical damage.......a megabruise on my thigh..and a strained back.
    Bike Damage.......My own hand built front wheel, still true. My Ottrott in pieces.....fork trashed, long gash in the carbon downtube. Left Brake lever bent in half., Handlebars bent backwards at the stem.
    Driver Damage...He got a ticket for failure to yeild right of way, I get to not ride for the rest of my vacation. Assistant chief of police (who is a rider) saw the whole thing and has offered to talk to the insurance company.....She told me that If I had "stuck the landing", she would have given me a 9.5, but unfotunatly had to deduct. LOL.

I feel damn lucky...I coulda been killed.

Hug your loved one's....Ya just never know.

Len

PS, I'll post pictures of the bike when I get home.

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    OUCH! Glad your ok man, it is very very scary. Three days ago my GF and I were going through campus and this guy started to turn right and he passed us, big white truck. Slowly closing in on my GF. She pulls off a cool under preesure move and stays upright, the truck nailed her and gave her what I could only compare as rug burn along her arm, the paint burned her skin off. Man is it scary, I bet you were freaking out when you saw that car infront of you.

Kyle

when is it obsession?
    glad you're okay, Len... sorry 'bout the bike and your vacation... those can be replaced, though.

B~
    "Oz was wrong: a heart should be judged by how much one loves...not by how much one is loved by others..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

What are the odds?

Unfortunate, and glad you are OK.

But what are the odds that...
    1. The assistant chief of police happens to be there to eyeball the event?
    2. She is a rider ?
    3. The assistant chief of police has a sense of humor? ('course, I guess 3 follows 2).

Talk about a cloud having a silver lining.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

NeoRetroGrouch
    Sounds like a really bad day. Glad you are OK.

Another confirmation of my avoidance of bike paths and the like. You have to stop at every intersection and yield at every drive.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

angel of the morning

that typical LenJ for ya

always going to great lengths to impress the chicks ... even uniformed one's.

Take it easy & rest some. Get a full medic inspection. Count your blessings and then ride again. You tryin' to upstage MB1 or sumtin? I dont wanna hear no more accident stories unless its Ron Pruitt winding us up - OK?

That must be some wheel you built !!!! (nice anecdote BTW)

glad to hear your kinda OK

ciao
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

AYHCSMB etc.

glad you're ok! (nm)

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

go up
    Hate to hear about the crash and trashed bike. I hope you heal quickly.

Mike
    deadlegs

I've breathed the mountain air, man. (J. Cash)

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

I don't fear carbs
    With a bike that nice I bet you were more worried about it than yourself at first! ;) Anyway...heal quick and enjoy the new bike the insurance company replaces it with.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Bike Damage.......My own hand built front wheel, still true. My Ottrott in pieces.....fork trashed, long gash in the carbon downtube. Left Brake lever bent in half., Handlebars bent backwards at the stem.
    The collapsing fork and bike probably saved the wheel. I'm sure it didn't hurt that it was a strong, handbuilt wheel though.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope that back heals quickly. I hope that insurance pays up. And I hope that you have fun building up a new frame.

And your vacation was going to be rainy anyway with all the hurricane action on the east coast ...
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get well soon. Do you think the frame will get repaired or replaced? As for that possible 9.5, are you sure she as giving you full credit for difficulty, including shearing a fork?

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

daggone

Regards, Len - you dodged the bullet on that one!

I have vivid memories of flying over a car myself - what a freaky and indescribable experience that is! Fortunately this was back in the days of quill stems, mine happened to be a bit loose, and absorbed the impact, thus saving the fork. I was also probably going somewhat slower. Driver turned left, hit-and-run in my instance (no insurance, prior record).

Which brings up a point that you already know. Most, if not all, serious cyclists have at least one car vs. bike impact during their lifetime. I've had two. Neither turned out dreadfully harmful in my cases, but I'm pretty sure we're the lucky ones.

So, listen to Spirito (hell, we should ALL listen to Spirito more often) and take careful stock of your injuries. IME, the back strain is likely to be the most persistent one. I still have some problems from my cyclocross endo-and-whiplash maneuver last year, so trust me when I say don't kid around with your back.

Glad to hear you're okay. Sucks about the bike, but it sounds like the officer will help testify on this one in order to get you a reasonable and fair insurance settlement. Lucky bast@rd!!

Breaking a nice bike is always a cringeworthy experience. I've got a nice set of pics from a race I promoted in the Midwest some years back. One of the Pro/1/2 guys destroyed a custom carbon Mongoose monocoque in a crit pileup. Instant folding bike - it disintegrated into three pieces at the TT, downtube and stays. The only thing holding it together were the cables. The kid escaped with road rash, but as a semi-employed penniless espoir I think in a way he was more wrecked than his bike. It was his first really nice bike, he'd had it all of a month, and I think that was the first time I'd seen one of those Cat 1 alpha male types cry.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

Windrider (Stubborn)

Thanks all for the good wishes.

Yea, LFR, the fly through the air was very strange....it was so clear.

I did conciously relax and I think that helped.

As to the bike, I'm not sure, other than cosmetics, that the frame itself was hurt at all. My biggest concern is the integrity of the carbon down and top tube. I will probably send it back to Serotta for a complete check.

One of the funnier moments was while we waited for the ambulance, the asst police chief, looked at the bike, turned to the driver, shook her head and said: "You are sure going to wish you hit a cheaper bike!" To which he replied." Why, does this one cost more than $1,000?" She just laughed, turned to me, winked, looked at his 95 oldsmobile and said....."this bike cost more than your car." He looked at his car, then at the bike and just went white.

As to gratitude.......this is the second time I've survived a confrontation with a car.

Like I said.....I went home and hugged my wife and kids.

I'll deal with the ins co later.

Len

LFR, as to the back...the last time I broke my back....I think this time My back just clenched......every day since has been a little looser...we'll see.

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

I don't fear carbs

As to the bike, I'm not sure, other than cosmetics, that the frame itself was hurt at all. My biggest concern is the integrity of the carbon down and top tube. I will probably send it back to Serotta for a complete check.
    Dude! Get a new bike regardless! Any impact enough to break the fork would make me never trust a CF/TI frame again. Cosmetic damage that is not your fault is still damage. After all, we are talking about an Otrott...a piece of bike jewelry--not a low-end Huffy. Do you really want to be guessing on a 50MPH descent! Even an expensive bike like this is peanuts for the insurance company. Have them total the bike and get an entirely new one--components and all. You shouldn't have to part it out and put up with potentially damaged goods.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bikes can be replaced, people can't. Glad to hear you are OK!

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    sorry to hear about your crash. heal up soon. and please post updates. with all the crash stories on this board, this seems like the most open-and-shut case i've read about in a long while. am VERY curious to hear how it turns out. and if the insurance company figures depreciation on your bike.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    So I'm on vacation out on the outer Banks of NC. First Day on Sunday, I go out for a ride on my Ottrott ST. I'm heading back from Carolla, going thru Duck. There is a line of traffic trying to get back to the Highway, I'm on a bike path on the inside of traffic moving along at a reasonable clip. when much to my surprise, a car, coming the other direction, trying to turn into a resturant, accelerates in front of a stopped SUV, and is suddenly right in front of me. I never get a chance to hit the brakes, hit his right rear quarter panel. I hear the fork snap as the front of the bike stops while I continue forward. My thighs hit the collapsing handlebars and I proceed to somersault over the rear deck of the car. I am now looking down at my bike bouncing away from the car in two pieces. I tumble over again, still in the air. The first thing that hits the ground is the back of my helmet as I continue to roll. I roll forward on my back and almost end up in a standing position before settling back, flat on my back about 25 ft from the car. I lay stunned for a moment as I hear the driver say: "I never saw him, I never looked!"

Physical damage.......a megabruise on my thigh..and a strained back.
    Driver Damage...He got a ticket for failure to yeild right of way, I get to not ride for the rest of my vacation. Assistant chief of police (who is a rider) saw the whole thing and has offered to talk to the insurance company.....She told me that If I had "stuck the landing", she would have given me a 9.5, but unfotunatly had to deduct. LOL.

I feel damn lucky...I coulda been killed.

Hug your loved one's....Ya just never know.

Len

PS, I'll post pictures of the bike when I get home.

Man Len, I am truly truly sorry to hear that. Thank god you're all right (mostly anyway). We would have missed a guy like you. Didn't know you had a fancy schmancy Ottrott. I thought you had a steel Serotta. Either way, big loss.

Hope you get a great settlement and spend your recovery shopping bikes and parts. Sendng good vibes to one of RBR's Allstars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Glad your alright

Good to hear you were not hurt bad, bummer about the bike. I just wanted to share an insurance story I had, A couple of years ago I went to do the MS150 here in Missouri. I parked the car and unloaded my bike and set it on the ground. I went over to unload my wife's bike and heard a horrible sound as I saw the lady next to me in her Explorer backing over my Specialized M4 road bike. Well needless to say it was not rideable so I did not get to ride. To my horror she just drove off. Come to find out a lady next to us got her license and she was a volunteer. The police went to talk to her and she said she heard someone scream but did not think anything of it. It bent up the drive side chain stay real bad. She admitted to not looking back as she was looking the other way at some kids. Needless to say I got 2 very good estimates for replacement of the frame and the insurance company had no issues paying up.
    Good luck to you.

I don't fear carbs
    Quote Originally Posted by team_sheepshead
    and if the insurance company figures depreciation on your bike.
    they likely will. get FULL RETAIL estimate for the complete bike and accesories. They depreciated a 6 month old Merlin XL when I was in this situation.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Windrider (Stubborn)

Why does everyone assume.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    Dude! Get a new bike regardless! Any impact enough to break the fork would make me never trust a CF/TI frame again. Cosmetic damage that is not your fault is still damage. After all, we are talking about an Otrott...a piece of bike jewelry--not a low-end Huffy. Do you really want to be guessing on a 50MPH descent! Even an expensive bike like this is peanuts for the insurance company. Have them total the bike and get an entirely new one--components and all. You shouldn't have to part it out and put up with potentially damaged goods.
    That we are entitled to a new bike?

I've put 3,000 miles on this frame since I got it in April. I don't automatically assume that I'm entitled to a new frame. I will send it back to Serotta, have them access how damaged it is, and make sure that I am reimbursed for the amount necessary to restore (or replace it) it to safe working condition, no more, no less. Where does this entitlment mentality come from?

I've been through this before.....it shouldn't be a lottery ticket.

Len

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

When you get back let's go for a crash together ;-)

Oops, I meant let's go for a ride together of course. Miss M frowns on crashing.

BTW glad you survived another one. It is a tough old world out there and getting old isn't for sissies.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Ya, what ATP said...!

Rejoice!

Good to have you among us still. You've survived your near fatal accident, now your crash karma chart should be clean. Many happy miles ahead. Hope the Rotta is only lightly bruised.

I don't fear carbs
    That we are entitled to a new bike?

I've put 3,000 miles on this frame since I got it in April. I don't automatically assume that I'm entitled to a new frame. I will send it back to Serotta, have them access how damaged it is, and make sure that I am reimbursed for the amount necessary to restore (or replace it) it to safe working condition, no more, no less. Where does this entitlment mentality come from?

I've been through this before.....it shouldn't be a lottery ticket.

Len
    your loss. the insurance company will depreciate it anyway so unless you got a killer deal on the last one you'll have to pony up $ anyway or downgrade your frame. If I was in an accident that wasn't my fault bad enough to break a fork I'd be wanting a new frame. End of story. Do whatever you want. I'm sure the insurance company will love you. And are you going to pay to ship your bike to Serotta and then pay again to have them analyze it? The fact that carbon fiber can fail dramatically should be cause enough to get a new frame. Also are you willing to live with a bunch of scratches on a high end frame? That should take the value down right there. And it was through no fault of your own. Don't you think you deserve a bike at least as nice looking and reliable as the one you were riding before the crash? I'm not for screwing the ins.company...I just want to have the bike the way it was before the accident. If I crashed it then it's my fault and my decision on whether to repair the scratches, but if it's someone else's fault I think it's not asking too much to get them to repair it cosmetically as well.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Glad your alright

Nice to have an understanding officer on scene.

It does make me want to be a fly on the wall in the adjusters office when they see what this strange sounding bike the "Serrota Ottrot" is worth. They'd be better off it was a 3 year old Dodge Neon.

Get better, ride safe, and, be careful out there.

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    your loss. the insurance company will depreciate it anyway so unless you got a killer deal on the last one you'll have to pony up $ anyway or downgrade your frame. If I was in an accident that wasn't my fault bad enough to break a fork I'd be wanting a new frame. End of story. Do whatever you want. I'm sure the insurance company will love you. And are you going to pay to ship your bike to Serotta and then pay again to have them analyze it? The fact that carbon fiber can fail dramatically should be cause enough to get a new frame. Also are you willing to live with a bunch of scratches on a high end frame? That should take the value down right there. And it was through no fault of your own. Don't you think you deserve a bike at least as nice looking and reliable as the one you were riding before the crash? I'm not for screwing the ins.company...I just want to have the bike the way it was before the accident. If I crashed it then it's my fault and my decision on whether to repair the scratches, but if it's someone else's fault I think it's not asking too much to get them to repair it cosmetically as well.
    what he said. you're entitled to a new bike, Len, because you were not at fault at all in the accident. the insurance company will recoup the expense out of this guy's premiums, which will jump up, which will teach him a lesson. presumably he has no driving record? well, then he's likely to learn from it, which means he won't be so careless in the future.
    and would you trust even a steel bike after a crash like that? yes, steel and ti have infinite fatigue life and all, but that assumes they aren't loaded over their elastic limit. yours may have been. make sure the insurance company pays for all the testing and a full rebuilt (probably replace all the carbon tubes, at least) if it's at all salvageable.
    you, fortunately, are alive, and the other guy, fortunately, was not a criminal and has insurance. just kick back and lie in the sun (while there still is sun).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast