jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Post-crash inspection for a carbon fiber frame?

So, I put my bike down a week ago - I think I took the brunt of the fall with a separated shoulder. So what about the bike?

Upon inspection the only damage I can see to the bike is some scrapping on my right brake lever. I was able to ride the bike home and it seemed okay, but was wondering if I need to take it in to my LBS for further inspection, say the steerer tube? I was going between 15-20 mph and didn't hit anything. Should I not worry about the bike and plan on riding once I'm ready?

Thanks.

Edit: steerer tube is carbon fiber, my stem and handlebars are aluminum, if that helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, it's common practice to inspect the steerer tube and the frame. It will give you piece of mind and they know more of what to look for. Hope you get better fast.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it were me I would look it over real good, in good lighting. Pay close attention to every scratch and every joint. If nothing looks like it goes beyond the clear coat, I would ride it and not worry about it. Most LBS employees do not have the expertise or equipment to locate cracks or deformities that are not visible to the eye. If you find anything suspect, by all means get a second opinion.

Good luck, hope you heal quickly and find nothing wrong with your bike.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    thx Hooben and matfam, both good advice. I think I'll give it a really thorough visual inspection and take it in to RA cycles in Brooklyn, my local. They're pretty knowledgeable and I can get a tune-up while it's in the shop. Glad I keep an aluminum bike around.

Hoping to be back on the bike in a few weeks. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    thx Hooben and matfam, both good advice. I think I'll give it a really thorough visual inspection and take it in to RA cycles in Brooklyn, my local. They're pretty knowledgeable and I can get a tune-up while it's in the shop. Glad I keep an aluminum bike around.

Hoping to be back on the bike in a few weeks. Thanks again.
    If you find anything on visual inspection (a hand-held magnifying glass gives you some extra "inspection power") you can follow that up with a tap test if you find anything suspicious. Tap the surrounding area with something like a coin or a metal tool. The nature of the sound will change if there is any damage under the skin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    The tap test with a coin will tell you if there is hidden damage. You will hear the difference.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks again for the responses. I'm sure this topic has been covered before - sorry if this is the case, but always good to get reminders for some common sense practices when it comes to safety.

I found a decent demonstration of the "tap test" on youtube, here:
    Carbon Fiber Bicycle Frame Care and Repair - PV Bicycle Center - YouTube

Demo begins at 3:40 into the video.