Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Hope I'm not too late to the party, and folks might comment for me. I'm mostly a mountain biker, not a road rider. When I ride the road I often am alone. Let's pretend I don't care about cost. Let's say I probably won't look at data post ride. Is a PM not helpful enough just for pacing? I'd like to know how hard I can push, but being able to keep it up for longer rides. Thoughts?
    Yes, it is a good tool for pacing both for TT efforts and climbing. Knowing your FTP and the kind of power you can put out for certain periods of time can be useful. Its not going to change your life but is helpful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Hope I'm not too late to the party, and folks might comment for me. I'm mostly a mountain biker, not a road rider. When I ride the road I often am alone. Let's pretend I don't care about cost. Let's say I probably won't look at data post ride. Is a PM not helpful enough just for pacing? I'd like to know how hard I can push, but being able to keep it up for longer rides. Thoughts?
    If Wish I Were Riding mostly mountain bikes, road rides alone, and will not do anything with power other than look at it during the road ride ("won't look at data post ride"), I don't think it will help much more than pacing off of heart rate/perceived exertion.

Just my 2 cents. For perspective, I have ridden with a pm for a couple years, I look at my power data during and after every ride, I set up my training based on power, I don't really look at HR, and I miss not having power measurement on my mtb. In short, I use power information. But in isolation (only used occasionally/no data analysis/no plan/etc.), I don't think it would provide more useful information than HR/perceived exertion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I bought my power meter because the used wheelset was a good deal even if the PM didn't work. An older powertap is a pretty good hub. I like having the power data available, and looking at my power output trends (it uploads power data to strava anyway) i've learned a lot about myself and my perceived exertion and my need for recovery. I've gotten very good at holding a certain wattage despite how i feel. I wouldn't drop 700$ to know what my left leg is doing, but i have absolutely no regrets and it's made me a faster rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    If you aren't developing a plan that includes analyzing and putting in placed a training program based on the data , then a power meter is a waste of money. if all one does is slap a power meter on and engage in rides then there is no benefit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    A PM's greatest value is as an analysis device,not as a pacing tool (as many non users assume).
    Where they do shine is for indoor training: Using the outdoor data to tailor indoor sessions is pure training gold. Of course one requires indoor and outdoor PM's and both to be correlating with precision.
    Last edited by Biopace; 07-14-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Poor sentence structure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    If your mate that you ride with is faster, just ride with him and hang on as long as you can. This is how many of us got faster.
    True. I have increased dramatically this year by busting my arse trying to hang w/ those faster than me, and when my turns come to pull I'm really punishing myself. I'm still not fast by comparison to a lot of riders I know, but I'm steadily getting faster and more confident.

Having said that, I think I'd like a pm one day.
    Last edited by Mckdaddy; 07-15-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12