RoadBikeReview Member

PowerPod Accuracy Question

I'm interested in a power meter for my bike. Without getting into specifics, pedal and crank/chainring based options are non-starters for me. A disc/XD compatible PowerTap is an option, just with a hefty price tag. The PowerPod has piqued my interest, but I understand gravel surfaces may throw off its accuracy. I also read DC Rainmaker's review of aerobar-related motion throwing off readings. I ride on the road mostly, but my bike is an all-rounder, built to ride anything except MTB terrain. It's a CX frame with a SatFast suspension stem and Thudbuster ST post. Anyone know if the suspension's motion would cause the same inaccuracies as rough road surfaces? I tried emailing the company, but have thus far been met with silence. Thanks for any ideas you have. Just please do not suggest any crank or pedal based solutions, unless they would work on a custom-shortened SRAM MTB 4 bolt crank (154mm) and Frog pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I'm interested in any experiences, as well. It could solve some problems and answer questions for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This sounds like 27.5% blowhard humble brag. Not sure the roadies in here know what to quite make of this.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Gadget View Post
    PowerPod Accuracy Question

I also read DC Rainmaker's review
    You're not going to get better information here than DC Rainmaker. The powerpod has hardly ever been discussed here.

Anyone know if the suspension's motion would cause the same inaccuracies as rough road surfaces?

I tried emailing the company, but have thus far been met with silence.
    That should tell you everything you need to know.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Powerpods represent calculated power based upon assumed constants (e.g., aero drag). However, the assumed constants constantly change when riding in the real world. IOW, don't waste your money.

Since you cannot do pedal or crank based power, the hub is your only choice.

I don't know whether 4i or watteam would be options to add to your modified cranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Powerpods represent calculated power based upon assumed constants (e.g., aero drag). However, the assumed constants constantly change when riding in the real world. IOW, don't waste your money.
    When I was a kid, another kid had a "speedometer" on his bike that was essentially a plastic tube and a blade inside it that the wind would move to show speed. Powerpods are a high tech version of that idea. It wasn't accurate then, and it isn't accurate now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, everyone for the suggestions, even the "blowhard humble brag" comment, which I found humorous. In fact, VeloComp responded almost immediately, but the reply found its way to my Spam folder, which I didn't think to check. FWIW, The tech was honest, stating that my stem would affect readings.