RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Powertap G3 Hub - bearings

Guys:

I'm in the market for a power meter, and I'm thinking that I will have a Powertap hub built into my current wheelset.

I currently ride a S-Works Tarmac SL4 with Roval Rapide CLX40 rims that has CeramicSpeed bearings in the rear hubs.

Since I'm going to be having the hub built into my current wheels, I wanted to make sure that I don't lose that much in terms of performance. Do you guys think it is a waste of money to get the Powertap G3C hubs, which have the same type of bearings? Should I save my money and go for the normal G3 hub?

Thanks for any thoughts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since ceramic needs a bit more maintenance and supposedly (that's what my LBS said when I brought mine in to check on a small clicking noise that turned out to be the freehub needing grease...) you can only get your PT hubs serviced by CycleOps (to avoid damaging the gauges?), I suggest going for the regular ones to minimize down time and the added stress of shipping it back and forth more frequently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks, Suasponte.

Aside from the maintenance aspect, does it seem a waste of money/pointless to get the hubs with the ceramicspeed bearings? Do you think I will notice a difference performance-wise?

I'm pretty new to understanding the effect of bearings...

RoadBikeReview Member

Powertap G3 Hub - bearings

Quote Originally Posted by suasponte2/75 View Post
    Since ceramic needs a bit more maintenance and supposedly (that's what my LBS said when I brought mine in to check on a small clicking noise that turned out to be the freehub needing grease...) you can only get your PT hubs serviced by CycleOps (to avoid damaging the gauges?), I suggest going for the regular ones to minimize down time and the added stress of shipping it back and forth more frequently.
    IMO, they're a waste of money and yield no performance benefit. Big placebo effect though.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've tried ceramic bearings before (for my hubs and BB) and felt no noticeable difference. I was still blown out the back of races and A group rides . I'm sure for a pro who've squeezed out every ounce of training and wanted to gain that 1/10 of a second per mile advantage it might be worth it (I pulled that number out of my arse). As an older amateur racer, the best investment for me (at a fraction of the cost of ceramic bearings) was getting a coach and training plan (to maximize my available training time). I went from pack fodder to consistent podium finisher within 6 months. I think that's where you get the most bang for your buck if you're trying to gain an advantage!
    "Ride it like you stole it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    You won't notice any difference - there's about a 10 gram weight savings and the bearings won't save any discernible energy. It's almost double the price for the G3C over the G3. You'd be much better off putting a bit of money into the low-friction chain that's available aftermarket if you want to obsess over an efficient drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenc967 View Post
    Thanks, Suasponte.

Aside from the maintenance aspect, does it seem a waste of money/pointless to get the hubs with the ceramicspeed bearings? Do you think I will notice a difference performance-wise?

I'm pretty new to understanding the effect of bearings...

RoadBikeReview Member
    BTW, I've gone back to standard bearings and couldn't be happier. Less maintenance and issues. I had to replace my hub bearings in less than a year and my bb required quarterly regreasing to run smoothly... uggh... no thanks!
    "Ride it like you stole it!"