Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Preemptive Tube Replacement

4K views 60 replies 21 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
As the recent thread about the disparity between front and back flats bears out, we can go long periods without having an issue with front tubes. What I’m wondering is whether after a certain amount of time it’s wise to replace the front tube even if there are no apparent issues with it.

This has come to mind because of two things that happened this past weekend. I keep records of when I get flats. I knew that the front tube on my Jamis bike had not been changed since 2005. There was a four year period in there when I did no road riding but from 2011-2017, I have used the bike frequently. On Saturday I had a slight sense of squishiness but before I could really react, I had to take a sharp left turn. My front wheel almost went out from under me as the tube had lost most of its air. I wasn’t going that fast and despite the sharpness of the turn, I was able to get my weight over the front wheel, stabilize the bike, and come to a stop. Just two miles prior to this, I had done a twisty descent at 40MPH. What if the flat had happened then?

On Sunday a former workmate of mine suffered a serious cycling accident and had to be air-lifted to a hospital. We still don’t know all the details but the latest report said “His tire blew, he lost control of his bike and went into traffic and hit a car…. He has had 2 rounds of surgery and is expected to have another one. He broke his femur and ankle. In addition he tore a large area in his thigh (muscle) which is pretty bad. He will have a long recovery.” If I had to guess, I’m betting it was his front tire that went. Usually you still have a decent amount of control if your rear tire goes flat.

I got my titanium bike in the fall of 2011. I’ve never even had to remove the front tire despite the bike getting lots of use. So, it’s coming up on six years – do I replace the front tube even though I’ve had no problems?

I feel better about my Jamis knowing there’s a new tube in the front tire but I’m thinking it might be a good idea to not wait for something to happen next time. How about everyone else? I don’t think rear tubes are as big of an issue because of the comparative regularity of their needing to be replaced.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nope. Tires wear with use; tubes don't. They don't just give up and develop leaks. I'd bet if you inspect your recent flat to find the cause (did you?) you'll find it was a road hazard (puncture) or pinch flat (can happen from striking a pebble, even if you didn't notice).

As for that 2011 bike, "lots of use" for six years, and front tire not worn enough to replace? Hmmm. My practice, like many riders, is to move the front to the rear when the rear tire wears, and put the new tire on the front.

#7 ·
Nope. Tires wear with use; tubes don't. They don't just give up and develop leaks. I'd bet if you inspect your recent flat to find the cause (did you?) you'll find it was a road hazard (puncture) or pinch flat (can happen from striking a pebble, even if you didn't notice).

As for that 2011 bike, "lots of use" for six years, and front tire not worn enough to replace? Hmmm. My practice, like many riders, is to move the front to the rear when the rear tire wears, and put the new tire on the front.
I track all my rides on an Excel spreadsheet. I have about 10,500 miles on the titanium bike. The front tire barely looks worn at all. Front tires, like front tubes, last a very long time. The front on my Jamis has more miles than that.

When I got home with the tube, I did check to see what the problem was out of curiosity. It was just a tiny hole. I have no way of really knowing what caused it.

#6 ·
it's probably worth $6 to address you concerns be they valid or not.
exactly. there could he a psychological element to this.

i look at my bikes like my dad looks at his plane. his plane has to look and feel perfect for him to take it up. everything has to be in its place. the smallest detail cannot be the slightest bit off, or it will pull attention away from where it needs to be. this inspires confidence.

#8 ·
the smallest detail cannot be the slightest bit off, or it will pull attention away from where it needs to be. this inspires confidence.
there could he a psychological element to this.
Indeed. It's called "obsessive-compulsive disorder." I'm sure your father's pre-flight inspection focuses on details that matter (or at least could matter, and not on every smallest non-functional thing.

"I'm afraid to ride my bike because the front tube is several years old, even though I know that tubes don't lose functionality with age." That's not rational thinking. IMHO, the way to deal with that is not to spend six bucks and half an hour fixing a non-problem, but to address the issue rationally.

But inspect your tires, for sure, frequently.

#10 ·
Indeed. It's called "obsessive-compulsive disorder."
LOL!

OP, you can adhere to whatever tube replacement schedule you want to but you'll still fall victim to the thing that most commonly (by an overwhelming margin) damages an otherwise good tube - road debris.

If you're worried about tube failures, it would be far more effective for you to pre-walk your rides and sweep the route with a broom. That doesn't sound very fun, does it?

This is basic risk assessment we're talking about. It simply doesn't make sense to spend any time or $ to prevent something that already has a miniscule potential to occur - particularly when something else (road debris) has a very high likelihood of occurrence and can not be prevented using practical means.

Edit to add: Kudos on your track record for flats though. I typically get at least one per year on each my road, MTB, and commuter bike. Some years it's FAR worse than that. IIRC, there's only been one year in my decades of riding that I got no flats. I should have bought a lottery ticket that year.

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback about tubes. If a tube was out of its package and exposed to direct sunlight, I’m sure it would degrade with time but I guess if it’s sealed in a tire and not exposed to any corrosive influences, its integrity should stay intact.

#15 ·
To prevent my death from flat tires and blown tubes, I replace my bike every month....It does become expensive, but I'm worth it.

#16 ·
i heard a slight squeak on my '60 paramount the other day, and i spent an hour trying to locate it. i finally found and corrected it, and now my mind is free to enjoy the ride.
Well, that seems at least a little OCD to me, but maybe it's just a matter of style. Sorry if it seemed I was attacking you. I did not intend that.

#19 ·
I work with a PhD Chemist. His job is to formulate rubber-based elastomer compounds used on several of our products. He is also a serious cyclist. He changes his tires and tubes at least every 3 years. He said his experience with formulating rubber elastomers shows that the inexpensive elastomer compounds used on bicycle tires dry-out enough in 3 years due to typical environmental factors that they should be replaced.

#22 ·
Interesting – a differing view. You mention that he replaces both tubes and tires but in the second part you only speak about the rubber in tires. Is he of the opinion that both types degrade even though the rubber in tubes is sealed inside the tire?

#26 ·
If you leave your bike outside, in the sun, in AZ, 2 years. Otherwise....
The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice, issued June, 2001, states, "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."
Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual.

#32 · (Edited)
found an email today from planetcyclery.com in my promotions gmail folder for $1.99 tubes (700x25c). it read, "this weekend only." i don't know the shipping cost. i usually buy 'em on ebay for under $6 shipped.

edit: bought 4 for $12.56 total, or $3.14/ea.

i made sure the valves are short ~ 33mm. i hate long stems.

#34 ·
2005? Has anyone here ever seen what happens to a rubber band after 12 years?

Not sure if that applies to butyl rubber. Possibly applies to latex tubes. Hint: Latex condoms have an expiration date.

Like others here, when my rear tire wears out, I put the front on the rear and put a brand new tire on the rear. When I take the tube out of that rear tire, the tube is pretty stuck to the inside of the tire to the point that I can't imagine I haven't done some damage getting it out.

#37 ·
... when my rear tire wears out, I put the front on the rear and put a brand new tire on the rear...
sounds like you toss both the rear tube and tire?

i try to rotate the tires so they both wear at the same rate. then toss both at some point. but i'm not always vigilant about it.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the..........oh, never mind!
B^)

#38 ·
I was contemplating this issue several days ago.
I was wondering whether I should throw out spare tubes once they get to a certain age.

Rubber deteriorates with time. But I know I have had tubes in an operating bike, with occasional use, for over 4 or 5 years.

I got to this point: since switching a perfectly good tube is an opportunity to introduce a problem, when is it worth it to switch, versus don't switch since that has its own likelihood of introducing error?

The one thing you know about a tube that holds air - for months at least - is that it sure holds air.

#40 ·
I got to this point: since switching a perfectly good tube is an opportunity to introduce a problem, when is it worth it to switch, versus don't switch since that has its own likelihood of introducing error?

The one thing you know about a tube that holds air - for months at least - is that it sure holds air.
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

#52 ·
I do not preemptively replace tubes.

I also do not rotate tires. Once the rear is done I buy new rubber for front and rear.

I also use this handy feature within Strava called "My Gear" which allows users to add bikes. Along with each bike you can also add components to each bike.

If I ever wonder how many miles or time a component has I simply look at my gear to determine that (tires, chains, PM battery, brake pads, etc)

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918727-Adding-Gear-to-your-activities-on-Strava

#61 ·
I also do not rotate tires. Once the rear is done I buy new rubber for front and rear.
Just FYI, I rotate the front to the rear, put new rubber on the front, and typically get 3-4K miles out of that back tire. Throw your perfectly good front tire my way and I'll get thousands of miles out of it. If you weigh a front tire when it is new, and weigh it again when your rear tire is worn out, you will find that the front tire has lost approximately zero weight. That means it is not getting worn out, and that's why you'll get all those "free" miles by putting it on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.