RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Pro Bike Travel Case

just found out i'm deploying again, for another 7 months again. good thing is i'm going to the same spot i was at last time, and am planing on taking or at least trying to take my bike with me. was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this case, the link is listed below. also saw the same bike at Performance Bicycle ($20 more). would one store be better than the other, also thought of checking ebay. any info would be greatly appreciated guys. i expect this case to only be used couple times ever other year in order to bring my bike on my deployments. so it won't be constantly used

Pro Bike Case - Bike Transport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    If you're only going to fly a couple of times every other year, I'd consider using a cardboard box from the LBS. It will save you money and you won't have to find a place to store the box when you're not using it. (Travel boxes are pretty big.)

Of course, this advise also depends on the bike that you're shipping. My answer might be different if you're shipping that $15,000 ultra-light Cevelo.
    As long as you have the sex and drugs, you don't really need the rock and roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Better still get a chainreactioncycles.com bike bag. They're about $90 and do the job very well. I've just transported my bike from Sydney, Australia to Florianopolis in Brazil and three different aircraft later it did the job splendidly.

Chain Reaction Cycles Complete Bike & Wheel Bags - CRC Logo 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Last edited by Italianrider76; 12-14-2011 at 07:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
    just found out i'm deploying again, for another 7 months again. good thing is i'm going to the same spot i was at last time, and am planing on taking or at least trying to take my bike with me. was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this case, the link is listed below. also saw the same bike at Performance Bicycle ($20 more). would one store be better than the other, also thought of checking ebay. any info would be greatly appreciated guys. i expect this case to only be used couple times ever other year in order to bring my bike on my deployments. so it won't be constantly used

Pro Bike Case - Bike Transport

Try and find a coupon from performance and then see how much it comes out to

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    How much did you end up spending to fly with the bike? I priced it at one point to take my bike on a trip with me, and it was much more expensive than anticipating (and more than I was willing to spend for a 3-4 day trip).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am an airline pilot and fly with my bike all the time - much to the suprise of my crews. I had ordered this case at one time, but sent it back. its much larger than i had thought. also, the wheels don't caster at all - front or rear. I will protect the bike and gear just fine. I do like the frame that it comes with to attach the bike too. I like some of the other cases out there better, but like i said, i fly with my bike a lot. honestly, i don't there is anyone who travels with a full size bike as much as i do. my next case will be this one
    2011 SciCon Aero Comfort Plus Travel Case - Competitive Cyclist

I have a scicon atlas now, an its great. no probs with the bike ever. the case itself gets beat pretty hard though

the thule case style is not bad either. of course, just going over once and then back - the old bike shop bike box works. just a little more assembly required

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the one described in the following article:

DC Rainmaker: How I travel with my bike

It now comes with a set of strap on pads so you don't need to improvise using pipe insulation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP: Where are you deploying to and whats the riding situation look like??

The reason I ask is because Ill probably be deploying at some point in the near future and would like to hear your opinions.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I am considering the Pika bike works soft case.

Pika Packworks EEP Bike Bag Standard - Excel Sports

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    thanks guys for the input, defiantly given me some options to think about.

newnan3- pm sent

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    My wife and I both have bikeboxalan's. We I got my seven made, I thouhg I should get more protection that a cardboard box. So far it has been to four countries and looks as good as the day i got it.

Packing and unpacking a bike takes about 10 mintues aftre some practise, and there is more than enough room in the box to take floor pumps, clothes, helmets shoes.

It is heavy, so make sure that you take note of the baggage that you can have on your ticket (road bike, clothes for a week and box is about 30kg) road bike and box is about 23kg

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I was considering on buying one of these things but I thought about the baggage allowance that airlines give nowadays. I fly with an airline which gives 50KG for 2 bags. If I brought the bag + bike it'll be 25-26kg...and only have 24-25kg for myself ( I bring a boatload of stuff with me when I travel + bring a whole town with me when I come back).

...and that's not considering how baggage handlers treat your luggage. You'll probably be close to murdering someone seeing them toss that huge bag w/ a $2000+ bike inside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Just for clarification...everyone with the soft shell cases, do you actually check the bike bag in as luggage with no special instructions? I'm concerned with the carbon bike being crushed by the weight/pressure of the other luggage.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I don't know about the US, but they travel as "over sized" luggage everytime I have flown and get handled seperately. If they are packed properly, they will be on the bottom (with a bike box or hard box). The same with surf boards and golf clubs.

Big is relative
    I have a Performance hard case that I bought in 1996. It's been across the Atlantic and Pacific several times and never had an issue. When I flew international, it counted as a piece of luggage. I'm career Navy and I've never had a problem figuring out a place to stash the case. I ride a 60cm frame so I usually unbolt the rear derailleur and wrap it up in a rag plus I usually remove the chainrings and pad them up. Both items sit up against the case and a big hit could damage them or transfer the hit to the frame.

After you pack the case, before putting the top on, take a picture of how it all fits in the case. Put a copy of the picture in a clear sleeve on top before you put the top on. TSA might search it and not know how it all fits together.
    Retired sailor