tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Pro Racecar Driver Goes for a Bike Ride, Gets Flipped Off

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Takes Up Bicycling, Gets Flipped Off

I laughed when he found out how well cyclist are liked:

'Earnhardt was unprepared for the bad habits of America's drivers. "They are like six inches from the shoulder," Earnhardt said. "I can't ride that close to the shoulder. I'm all over the place and I'm wobbling all over the damn road and this guy goes by and flips me off. I guess I kind of ticked him off. Anyways, I was surprised at how rude drivers are on the road."'

Here's hoping a few of these big name NASCAR drivers actually speak out on road driver's manners around bicycles.

Fecal indicator
    phhht...bfd.

no one cares that some guy on a bike got a close pass.

NASCAR driver, NBA/NFL/MLB player, Nobel laureate...it just doesn't matter who is doing the pedaling.

Joe Numbnuts Motorist isn't really concerned about the cyclist, he just wants them out of his way...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It had nothing to do with the cyclists or cycling. It was a commentary on his driving career.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. Takes Up Bicycling, Gets Flipped Off

I laughed when he found out how well cyclist are liked:

'Earnhardt was unprepared for the bad habits of America's drivers. "They are like six inches from the shoulder," Earnhardt said. "I can't ride that close to the shoulder. I'm all over the place and I'm wobbling all over the damn road and this guy goes by and flips me off. I guess I kind of ticked him off. Anyways, I was surprised at how rude drivers are on the road."'

Here's hoping a few of these big name NASCAR drivers actually speak out on road driver's manners around bicycles.
    Showed bikes to a customer who said he was a formula ! driver wanting to carry a bike on his tours to ride for fitness. Tried to sell him a nice road bike, but he chose a full suspension mountainbike.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    NASCAR driver, NBA/NFL/MLB player, Nobel laureate...it just doesn't matter who is doing the pedaling...
    many cyclists have had better luck riding in the south kitted in the flag. so it does matter "who" in many areas, especially rural america.

as for the southern nascar driver on his maiden voyage bike ride: why wear spandex if you don't want to for a 17 mile ride? and why ride "wobbly"?

well, i hope he figures it out and gets hooked.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So what you're saying is I need a "come and take it" bike jersey?

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Showed bikes to a customer who said he was a formula ! driver wanting to carry a bike on his tours to ride for fitness. Tried to sell him a nice road bike, but he chose a full suspension mountainbike.
    I used to take my beat up Windsor Pro along when I was a race mechanic/engineer on a CanAm car. Usually got a few laps around the track in the evening if our driver didn't break the car.

Lost the bike one weekend. 20 years later I mentioned that I lost the bike on an auto forum, and someone asked me at what CanAm race. Turned out he had it, it had been sitting in his garage for the last 20 years. What happened was another team moved the bike when they were loading their transporter, then a second team accidentally loaded it in their transporter thinking it was one of their bikes. Second team contacted first team to let them know they had their bike, first team said what bike?

When the second team folded at the end of the season this individual, a mechanic on the second team, took the bike and hung it up in his garage. He moved it several times, hoping he could someday return it to the owner. I told him he could keep it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I used to take my beat up Windsor Pro along when I was a race mechanic/engineer on a CanAm car. Usually got a few laps around the track in the evening if our driver didn't break the car.

Lost the bike one weekend. 20 years later I mentioned that I lost the bike on an auto forum, and someone asked me at what CanAm race. Turned out he had it, it had been sitting in his garage for the last 20 years. What happened was another team moved the bike when they were loading their transporter, then a second team accidentally loaded it in their transporter thinking it was one of their bikes. Second team contacted first team to let them know they had their bike, first team said what bike?

When the second team folded at the end of the season this individual, a mechanic on the second team, took the bike and hung it up in his garage. He moved it several times, hoping he could someday return it to the owner. I told him he could keep it.
    Did you ever read the book Paddle to the Sea as a kid? Sort of the same story of things passing hand to hand. You should have had him ship you the bike and then framed it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Dale Jr only got flipped the bird. I had a guy flip me the bird after he (passenger) barely missed swatting my handlebars. And I was in a well marked and signed bike lane. The driver actually swerved into the bike line so that the passenger could swat my handlebars. Granted, these guys are the exception rather than the rule. Welcome to road riding, DJ.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Until the day that all drivers understand that they do not have unbridled sovereign right to every inch of the road at all times, there will be problems. This will never happen. Many American drivers (and many police officers) simply believe that there are no other permissible uses for paved surfaces other than driving.
    Last edited by Hiro11; 03-09-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Actually, if we do get several big name NASCAR drivers out there cycling and then talking about how badly they are treated then some of the rubes might just re-think the way they treat cyclists. After all, that might be one of their heroes they just cut off... then again, they might be happy to run their hero's chief rival off the road.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013

How did you like your laps at Road Atlanta? I used to ride a few laps during the Sunday quiet hour there (for those who've never been there, Road Atlanta is close to a local church and has an agreement to have no cars on the track for an hour on Sunday morning - 11ish, IIRC). That last drop down the hill to the start/finish straight allowed you to get up quite the head of steam!

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Jimmy Johnson is a serious cyclist

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    many car racers, soccer players (futol), motorcycle racers, and current and ex-NFL players are cyclists. But I guarantee you that when people are behind the wheel and on their phones, they won't know shhh who's on the bicycle. It does us absolutely no good if drivers are not even aware.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    many car racers, soccer players (futol), motorcycle racers, and current and ex-NFL players are cyclists. But I guarantee you that when people are behind the wheel and on their phones, they won't know shhh who's on the bicycle. It does us absolutely no good if drivers are not even aware.
    If the NASCAR boys were to heavily publicize their love for cycling it could do some good, IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    If the NASCAR boys were to heavily publicize their love for cycling it could do some good, IMO.
    One can always hope that an influential somebody can influence the demographic. But do the people who hit and kill cyclists, are they Nascar fans? I would guess that most Americans either don't watch Nascar. Now, if talking the NFL, that may have more bite. NFL could do a cycling community a great service if they were to promote cycling by running some stories of their athletes doing things to keep in shape outside of football (which they do by cycling).

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Based upon the amount of number 3 (or 24) decals I see on pickup trucks and SUVs around here - a very liberal area not prone to idolizing redneck sports - I would say that a decent percentage of those who are intolerant towards bicyclists are NASCAR fans.

I agree that the NFL could help tremendously as well.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    LeBron James is a dedicated cyclist and even bought part of Cannondale several years ago...

don't see his high-profile image doing much for keeping the rest of us safe.

the idea that celebrity riders are going to increase motorist awareness simply isn't very realistic...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    If they were to take part in a highly visible publicity campaign it might make a difference - say a campaign of public safety oriented television spots.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    Jimmy Johnson is a serious cyclist
    I feel like Carl Edwards and Mark Martin were as well. Believe it or not, there's a TON of off-track conditioning that goes into NASCAR riding...
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    If they were to take part in a highly visible publicity campaign it might make a difference - say a campaign of public safety oriented television spots.
    keep dreaming...it's not happening.