RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Pro Vibe 7S Round bars with Campy

I'm wondering how it is thumb shifting from the drops on these bars with Campy shifters, specifically "older" 10s Centaur. I have medium-ish hands and tend to ride deep in the hooks while in the drops... shifting while sprinting is crucial for me, and that bend on the Vibe bars seems like it was made for my hands, but I have yet to touch a setup with Campy hoods on it.

One pic I found on a quick search...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

only person that can answer that is....

only person that can answer that you is you. Sorry...

But based soley on my experience & physioligy, it's possible, but not really all that feasibe, especially if you're on the rivit or mashing in a hectic sprint. My hands/fingers/thumbs seem to be what I'd consider "average", but I feel like I tend to have a hard time reaching the brake levers (classic bend bars like the pic tend to be the best for me).

However, that being said, I'd say the newer Ultra Shift shifters are by far quite easy to reach the thumb shifter from the drops. Not the answer you want to hear, but that's how it is from my point of view...

RoadBikeReview Member

Should be fine but

JP raises a fair point but I guess the question is with your current bars. Is reaching the ergo button a problem? If it's not, my guess is that switching to the Vibe bars should be fine.

I have small hands (7), ride mainly in the drops and have no problems shifting from the drops, seated or out of the saddle.

Bars here are ITM Millenium strada bend, sadly no longer available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro Vibe 7S Round bars with Campy-dscn6439-large-.jpg  
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know what the exact model is but I have the oversize carbon pro vibe bars with the round / classic bend with campy chorus 10 speed. I don't ride in the drops much so it's hard for me to say exactly but I just went over to the bike and tried different hand positions and found that with my hands in a postion that I could work the levers and shift paddles that I could also reach the thumb shifters fairly easily (I have short fingers by the way). However you would have to assume a pretty low upper body postion to acheive it or your arms will be blocked by the top of the bar. Hope this helps. They are very comfortable though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Boneman - I'm switching from Shimano to Campy on a new bike but am not receiving it for a few more days. It's going to have some ITM anatomic drops on it, but I can't really stand an ergo/anatomic bend for comfort reasons.

Currently I'm running FSA Energy Traditional bends for reference. They wouldn't give a flat ramp to the Campy hood at all without angling the bars far upwards, so they're out for consideration.
    Last edited by rubbish haep; 11-27-2009 at 09:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Strada bend

The ITM bars in my picture are not anatomic but normal road bend. Again, I think you'll be fine. The other option to look at is the new very shallow drop bars although I'm not sure how the shifters line up on the bend. Good luck.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time