RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Problems with new Cycliq Fly12 CE?

Anyone else have one and having trouble? Fresh out of the box, won't charge. Light goes from red to green, but when I unplug, it won't start up. Starts *while* plugged in, but app says 0% battery and light doesn't come on plugged or un-plugged.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both Fly6 and Fly12 which I received in December 2014 and April 2016 respectively. The Fly6 is still working fine but Fly12 died couple months ago. When plug in for charging the red light popups but that's all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Yeah, my FLy6 works great. Sounds like you have the previous version of the Fly12. Did they give you any help? I entered a support ticket last night and still no word back from them. Their ďchatĒ was busy too - wondering if a bunch of people are having my problem. It was drop-shipped from the contract manufacturer in China and I know they had at least one release date push-out, so wondering about QC....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like my Fly12 is the first batch they released, I ordered it from Kickstarter. I didn't do anything about this till today because I forgot but when I read your post I realized my is dead as well. So I sent them an email, actually I opened a new ticket on Cycliq web site. Let's hope they will response with some reasonable options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Still no response. Posted and messaged on their Facebook page we'll see if that has any effect. Wonder if they're shipping bricks like a certain computer company did back in the '90s to claim they're "shipping product."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I received the response from TS last night, please see below. In my case removing SC Card and letting unit to be charged from wall outlet did the trick. Today morning all is working fine, I even install CycliqPlus on my Note 4 and it works fine as well.

Received instructions:
    Thanks for getting in touch with Cycliq Support. We understand the issue you are having. Rest assured that we will do our best to help you out.

Please note that no matter how long the unit is plugged in, if the charge port light does not turn on, your Fly12 will not take charge. We recommend reading the fact sheet about How to Charge your Fly12 carefully.

To help resolve the issue, please try the techniques indicated in the charge sheet. I would also suggest that you use the supplied USB cable and charge it through a wall charger. Then follow the steps below.

1. Remove the SD card from your Fly12.
    2. With the wall charger plugged into a power point, insert the USB cable to your Fly12 and check if the charge light turns on.
    3. If the charge light does not turn on, leave it connected for 2 minutes and then disconnect.
    4. Reconnect the USB cable and repeat the process for about 6-8 times until the charge light turns on.
    5. Once the charge port light turns on, your Fly12 will begin taking charge.

If the above suggestions do not work, please try a different USB cable and wall charger and try different power points and see if that makes a difference.

If the charge port light still won't turn on after doing the steps above, please complete a Master Reset by following very carefully the fact sheet below.

How to do a Master Reset

Note that the reset button is slightly off-centre from the pinhole. You will know that this is done correctly as you will feel the reset button being depressed.

Next, complete a full charge making sure the charge port LED turns green indicating a full charge. Please note that we recommend a wall mount universal USB charger (6-8 hours) as charging from a laptop can take 20+ hours.

Full charge is only complete when the charge port light (inside the charge port flap) has changed from red to green.

Kindly confirm that you have done each step and let me know if there is any difference when you turn the unit on with and without the SD card.

Lastly, may we request for a photo of your unit and close-up photo of the USB port as well as a copy of your proof of purchase for our review?

Let us know if these suggestions help.

Kind regards,

Joan
    Cycliq Support

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Problems with new Cycliq Fly12 CE?

That looks to be the old FLY12 not the newer FLY12 CE. Mine is the latter and the charge light definitely comes on and turns from red to green, but when I disconnect from power, it wonít turn on. Only when itís connected to wall power will it turn on at all but then the app says 0% battery despite a green charge light.

The latest is theyíve asked me to return it **AT MY COST** to Western Australia via the cheapest method available which of course will result in the longest time to me actually having a functional unit. Cost to ship it was US$50 so at this point theyíre into me for over $300 and I still donít have a working unit and no idea when Iíll get one. Add that to their day-and-a-half turnaround per email communication and Iím never buying another one of their products and recommend no one else does either. Or just wait until REI carries them and you can get immediate unlimited exchanges on defective items.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    That looks to be the old FLY12 not the newer FLY12 CE. Mine is the latter and the charge light definitely comes on and turns from red to green, but when I disconnect from power, it wonít turn on. Only when itís connected to wall power will it turn on at all but then the app says 0% battery despite a green charge light.

The latest is theyíve asked me to return it **AT MY COST** to Western Australia via the cheapest method available which of course will result in the longest time to me actually having a functional unit. Cost to ship it was US$50 so at this point theyíre into me for over $300 and I still donít have a working unit and no idea when Iíll get one. Add that to their day-and-a-half turnaround per email communication and Iím never buying another one of their products and recommend no one else does either. Or just wait until REI carries them and you can get immediate unlimited exchanges on defective items.

Thanks for sharing the experiences you are having with the Fly product. I have been thinking about getting a camera and this was one I would be considering. I will now look at another model such as the virb 360 I have saw and has caught my attention.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    You do not appear to be alone. Read the comments following DC Rainmakerís review. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...irst-look.html

I was so impressed with my 2nd generation Fly 6 that I plunked my $$$ down instantly on a Fly 12 CE and Fly 6 CE just after the product release, despite the fact that it was snowy here and I wouldnít be outside for few months. Iím feeling pretty stupid. The products were not ready for release, and the ďconnectivityĒ that was advertised Cycliq is pretty much non-functional. There is nominal connectivity with my Garmin Edge 1030 and my iPhone, but the cameras canít really be operated with my Garmin, and the only thing I can do with my iPhone is change the camera settings. That is not what I bargained for based on the affirmative representations made on Cycliqís website.

Iím going to give the benefit of the doubt for now, and hope Cycliq is able to sort out the issues with these devices and correct them through firmware updates. There are updates that just were released yesterday, btw.

If you want to get Cycliqís attention, post in the comments to DC Rainmakerís review and you will get an immediate response. I posted after an unfortunate experience with Cyclic Customer Service pertaining to a Cycliq Duo Mount I purchased (it is too short to hold a Garmin Edge 1030), and I got a response instantly and my issue was quickly and satisfactorily resolved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Here's another issue I've encountered, but it seems to be more of a Wahoo problem. Mounting the Fly12 CE and Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT in a stacked configuration leads to GPS accuracy problems on the BOLT. At times in wooded mountains or next to tall office buildings, the BOLT will fail to keep a satellite lock at all. This only happens when the Fly12 CE is turned on, and the affect is greatest in the stacked configuration. If I move the BOLT 4 inches to any side, it will be fine. If I move the BOLT 4 inches up, it will still have signal issues.

I have performed the same test with a Garmin Edge 520 and it is much better about keeping a signal and maintaining 10ft accuracy. Meanwhile the BOLT goes from <10ft accuracy to >60ft and then loses the signal.

Here is a video clip of the behavior:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0txNdWLfiY

So it seems that neither the BOLT or Fly12 CE have decent strategically placed shielding. It also seems the BOLT's GPS receive strength is quite low. I noticed that its accuracy dips a lot inside some buildings when the Edge 520 has no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bumping for some updated experiences. I've just about had it with my Session 5; battery life is for sh!t and the thing is wonky as hell about taking a full charge at times. I'm really interested in the Cycliq 12 CE, and would have it in a stacked setup with a Wahoo ELEMNT. Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Bumping for some updated experiences. I've just about had it with my Session 5; battery life is for sh!t and the thing is wonky as hell about taking a full charge at times. I'm really interested in the Cycliq 12 CE, and would have it in a stacked setup with a Wahoo ELEMNT. Thanks in advance!
    Canít speak for the regular ELEMNT, but between the BOLT and the Fly12 CE, I elected to drop the BOLT and go back to Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Many of the initial bugs were ironed out and addressed in firmware updates. Some still are complaining about condensation inside on the lenses when used in wet weather. Iíve not had this issue, but I havenít been out riding in the rain for long periods either.

The connectivity is next to worthless. I can use my iPhone to set the things up, and I can connect to my Garmin Edge 1030, but I never have managed to use the Garmin or IPhone to turn on or operate the units, and the CycliqIQ Connect software (for the Garmin) is garbage. I end up turning on the cameras and lights manually before riding. Turning off the connectivity also saves battery life, which has been an issue for many.

IMO, these products were released too soon, while still in what amounted to beta. They are getting better as the firmware has been updated, but still are not perfect.

The Fly6CE OEM mount is also garbage. Mine lasted 2 rides. Cycliq said it was sending a new one, but that was 6 weeks ago, and I never received it. In the interim, i bought a mount that snaps into my Fizik Seat (ICS). Itís pretty slick, and works well. https://www.shapeways.com/product/QB...li=marketplace

Cycliq did away with its own discussion forum, and the most robust discussion regarding the problems with the Cycliq cameras is in the comments at https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...irst-look.html

My sense is that if youíre looking for a front safety camera, the Fly 12CE is still the way to go, but donít expect the connectivity functions to be of any real value.
    Last edited by djg21; 05-29-2018 at 12:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    My sense is that if youíre looking for a from safety camera, the Fly 12CE is still the way to go, but donít expect the connectivity functions to be of any real value.
    That is pretty much the exact reason I am looking into it; my rides aren't anything to write home about, so it's all about safety for me. Appreciate the detailed response, I will continue to look into the 12 and read the DCR thread as well. Thanks!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Another update. A friend purchased and spoke highly of the Fly6 CE, so I decided to give them one more chance. The unit is nice ang more compact, but the battery life is for sh!t. I get MAYBE 2 hours at 1080p 60fps and flashing lights on full (daytime riding). The previous version had MUCH longer battery life. Wondering if they're having through-going supplier problems with batteries for their units.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Another update. A friend purchased and spoke highly of the Fly6 CE, so I decided to give them one more chance. The unit is nice ang more compact, but the battery life is for sh!t. I get MAYBE 2 hours at 1080p 60fps and flashing lights on full (daytime riding). The previous version had MUCH longer battery life. Wondering if they're having through-going supplier problems with batteries for their units.

I have both the 12 & 6 CE's and they are a big improvement over the older ones for sure. I know they reduced the battery size on both because they realized people wanted smaller and lighter more than 8 hours of battery life, I think they claim 6 hours now. I did a 5 hour ride with camera and flashing light the other day and it was still going when I got home.
    When I first got mine a few months ago I did have an issue with the 6 CE shutting down randomly after an hour or two, which sounds like it might be what you're experiencing. Tech support was great and it turned out to be a known issue that they fixed with a firmware upgrade. Here is the link: https://support.cycliq.com/support/s...rrent-firmware

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    I have both the 12 & 6 CE's and they are a big improvement over the older ones for sure. I know they reduced the battery size on both because they realized people wanted smaller and lighter more than 8 hours of battery life, I think they claim 6 hours now. I did a 5 hour ride with camera and flashing light the other day and it was still going when I got home.
    When I first got mine a few months ago I did have an issue with the 6 CE shutting down randomly after an hour or two, which sounds like it might be what you're experiencing. Tech support was great and it turned out to be a known issue that they fixed with a firmware upgrade. Here is the link: https://support.cycliq.com/support/solutions/articles/13000044787-fly6-ce-current-firmwar.

I just asked for a refund. Iím done with Cycliq. Itís the Fly12 and Fly 6 CE cameras were not ready to be brought to market and have too many issues. They have proven unreliable nd are more of a hassle than theyíre worth.

My note to cycliq:

How do I get a refund? I was an early adopter of the Fly 6CE and Fly12CE based on my great experience with a Fly6. Iím not impressed with the CE editions.
    The connectivity doesnít function Ė all I want is to be able to quckly and simply turn the cameras/lights on and off using my Garmin. My battery life is not impressive, and I come home from rides less that 2 hours long to find my Fly6 6ce turned off.
    The seatpost strap fell apart after the first ride, with the silicone peeling off. Cycliq supposedly was to send a replacement, but itís been three months and Iíve received nothing. IĎm now out $39 for an aftermarket mounting solution.

These things are far more of a hassle than theyíre worth. They are little better than vaporware and do not function as advertised.

Please provide,instructions on how Imay obtain a refund. In the
    meanwhile, Iíll reach out to my credit card provider to dispute the charges and issue a chargeback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    When I first got mine a few months ago I did have an issue with the 6 CE shutting down randomly after an hour or two, which sounds like it might be what you're experiencing. Tech support was great and it turned out to be a known issue that they fixed with a firmware upgrade. Here is the link: https://support.cycliq.com/support/s...rrent-firmware
    Nice theory, but no. I get home after a ride of less than two hours and get one (vs 2 or 3) beep when I turn it off (indicating the battery is almost done). Iím out riding and after a little more than 2 hours, it switches to ďhome safeĒ mode i.e. no camera but lights keep flashing. I get home after a 4 hour ride and the thingís dead as a rock (which is effectively is at that point). Yeah, people want light weight, but people also ride more than a couple of hours. MIght be fine for commuters, but as a ďsafetyĒ measure for serious riders, itís become significantly less useful. Will probably go back to using the old one if not just a simple light like the Bontrager Flare.

Buyer Beware.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    I just asked for a refund. Iím done with Cycliq. Itís the Fly12 and Fly 6 CE cameras were not ready to be brought to market and have too many issues. They have proven unreliable nd are more of a hassle than theyíre worth.

My note to cycliq:

How do I get a refund? I was an early adopter of the Fly 6CE and Fly12CE based on my great experience with a Fly6. Iím not impressed with the CE editions.
    The connectivity doesnít function Ė all I want is to be able to quckly and simply turn the cameras/lights on and off using my Garmin. My battery life is not impressive, and I come home from rides less that 2 hours long to find my Fly6 6ce turned off.
    The seatpost strap fell apart after the first ride, with the silicone peeling off. Cycliq supposedly was to send a replacement, but itís been three months and Iíve received nothing. IĎm now out $39 for an aftermarket mounting solution.

These things are far more of a hassle than theyíre worth. They are little better than vaporware and do not function as advertised.

Please provide,instructions on how Imay obtain a refund. In the
    meanwhile, Iíll reach out to my credit card provider to dispute the charges and issue a chargeback.
    Not sure why you quoted me for your rant, I don't work for the company. Mine has been great so far, no issues. The connectivity with my garmin seems to work, though I haven't really used it. And I know a few others who have the lights and I haven't heard them complain about it

Nice theory, but no. I get home after a ride of less than two hours and get one (vs 2 or 3) beep when I turn it off (indicating the battery is almost done). Iím out riding and after a little more than 2 hours, it switches to ďhome safeĒ mode i.e. no camera but lights keep flashing. I get home after a 4 hour ride and the thingís dead as a rock (which is effectively is at that point). Yeah, people want light weight, but people also ride more than a couple of hours. MIght be fine for commuters, but as a ďsafetyĒ measure for serious riders, itís become significantly less useful. Will probably go back to using the old one if not just a simple light like the Bontrager Flare.

Buyer Beware.
    Like I said, I've gotten 5+ hours out of them

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Not sure why you quoted me for your rant, I don't work for the company. Mine has been great so far, no issues. The connectivity with my garmin seems to work, though I haven't really used it. And I know a few others who have the lights and I haven't heard them complain about it

Like I said, I've gotten 5+ hours out of them
    Stipulating that neither of us are lying, as Iíve said before, I suspect they have serious QA/QC problems. Glad yours works, mineís pretty much worthless for its intended purpose, much worse than the previous model, and nowhere near their claimed batter life. Also the first FLY12 CE that I received was a brick that took me forever to get replaced (and they wanted me to pay shipping). Buyer Beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Anyone else have one and having trouble? Fresh out of the box, won't charge. Light goes from red to green, but when I unplug, it won't start up. Starts *while* plugged in, but app says 0% battery and light doesn't come on plugged or un-plugged.
    exactly the same thing hapend to my fly 12 ce, then for some reason I connected it to my Mac and up to now it works fine