Arrogant roadie.....

Question Project "Cheap Road Bike"

After looking at those frames Chuck'sbikes has for $75, I'm not so sure about them. So, the next frame which seems to fit my demands is the Nashbar Frame' road bike frame. I like the fact that it's aluminum and not too heavy. I don't like the way the welds look, or the fact that the headtube is only 1". Still, it looks decent, and the price seems ok.

I was wondering how many people out there have this frame? I'm looking at the 60cm size, and I was wondering what your opinions of this frame are? Is the 60cm frame strong? How is the ride? Is the frame straight and true?

FWIW, I'm planning on building the bike up with Campy Centaur 10sp.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    After looking at those frames Chuck'sbikes has for $75, I'm not so sure about them. So, the next frame which seems to fit my demands is the Nashbar Frame' road bike frame. I like the fact that it's aluminum and not too heavy. I don't like the way the welds look, or the fact that the headtube is only 1". Still, it looks decent, and the price seems ok.

I was wondering how many people out there have this frame? I'm looking at the 60cm size, and I was wondering what your opinions of this frame are? Is the 60cm frame strong? How is the ride? Is the frame straight and true?

You may want to spend a bit more and get an inexpensive cross bike frame. Cross season is over and they should be on close out. You can get a sturdy frame like a Redline Conquest and use it for crossing, dirt road rides, bad weather rides, back-up road bike and general trainer related duty. I picked out an 03 on clearance (size 60) and it it really strong, and pretty light for the cost. I decked it out with left-over Campy Daytona 10, with some nice cross related parts.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

hi, I'm Larry

Don't know about Chucks bikes but how about Veloce

10 speed group. It runs $50-100 less than the Centaur and is pretty close to the Centaur weight, quality & performance. Maybe take the money you save and buy Chorus hubs or a nicer frame.

I have some Veloce parts on my bike and I am very happy with them. Stay away from Mirage parts many of them are cr@p.

Old, slow, and fat.

Cheap Road Bikes...

A few frame suggestions:
    Leader
    Tommasso (my little brother has one of these, looks like a nice frame)
    Scattante
    Spicer

If you don't need this bike RIGHT NOW, you could probably piece together a Record (well Chorus anyway) gruppo for about the price you're about to pay for the Centaur new. I've done several D/A bikes for under $1000 complete this way.

I concur with the cross frame thing too. Makes for a more "do everything" kinda bike. Put a carbon fork on it and you even lose some of the weight of the steel forks they put on those puppies. The lower gears make for a good hill riding bike...

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Maybe try something else

Somebody asked about those frames recently. Can probably still find the post on the old forum's search feature. I think the feedback was pretty poor for those. Someone recommended Supergo's Scattante frames in same price range but liked the quality better. (Although someone else once commented they always think Scattante sounds like it's Italian for 'poop' - laughed because I had the same thought myself.)

Personally, I'd find a good used frame on eBay and get higher quality for less money. I'm a big fan of steel frames, myself, and always see a good selection of frames out there.

Michael

RoadBikeReview Member

I have one...

mine's 54cm, and you're right about the welds, they are fairly ugly. But the paint was actually a lot better than I expected. I built it up with 105 components and have been extremely happy with it. The frame rides better than my 2003 Trek 1200 (in all honesty, this is at least partially due to it fitting me better).

Building it up was very smooth. Nothing special had to be done to either the headtube or the BB shell. When the frame first arrived there were a couple of aluminium shavings inside the downtube... took a few minutes to get them to slide out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project "Cheap Road Bike"-newbike.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    How's about Surly Pacer for a frame?

Arrogant roadie.....

Leader Frames???????????

I just checked out the site for Leader frames, and they look like they might also fit the bill. The welds are slightly less ugly than the ones on the Nashbar frame, but Leader must have the ugliest logo on any bike around!! Still, they look ok, but I have a few questions, if anybody here knows the answers:

How heavy are they? I'm probably looking at either the 60cm or the 62cm size.

Are they well built, or are they sh!t?

Where are they made?

Do they ride well enough?

How can you get those ugly logos off?

RoadBikeReview Member

You might wanna try cheap CF

The folks at Pedal Force have a $600 carbon frame that looks interesting;

http://www.pedalforce.com/

check out the podium

closeout cross frames on line??

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    You may want to spend a bit more and get an inexpensive cross bike frame. Cross season is over and they should be on close out. You can get a sturdy frame like a Redline Conquest and use it for crossing, dirt road rides, bad weather rides, back-up road bike and general trainer related duty. I picked out an 03 on clearance (size 60) and it it really strong, and pretty light for the cost. I decked it out with left-over Campy Daytona 10, with some nice cross related parts.
    I'll be getting a new primary road bike this year so I want to convert my current ride to a bad-weather/cross/commuter/back-up bike. Any suggestions where I can locate a decent frame?
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10
    I'll be getting a new primary road bike this year so I want to convert my current ride to a bad-weather/cross/commuter/back-up bike. Any suggestions where I can locate a decent frame?

I like the classifieds here for good deals. Ebay has had too many fraud problems as of late. I would look for a decent Al framed bike- you wan't want steel for a bad weather bike. As cross season is over, I would look for a used road or cross frame.

Stuff like this:

Frames SPECIALIZED Allez Comp 56cm w/... 56cm 01/19/2004 200.00 obo Details

or this

Frames 2002 Cannondale Caad 5 framese... 52 center-center 01/10/2004 $400 OBO Details
    or even a complete cross bike- a Redline Conquest Pro:

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Go for the Scattante

I would suggest the Scanttante. I just build up a 51cm for my wife (got the other components off a LeMond from a family member). For $250 the frame and fork are great, clean welds, nice paint, headset included, and bottom bracket already chased. Here is a pict. If not, go used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project "Cheap Road Bike"-my-turner-038.jpg  

Cicloturista

Scattante XRL

For $249 this frame awesone.I build with black 105 and Cane Creek weelset.Is better than my oldie Trek.
    Last edited by ruly62; 02-10-2004 at 04:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

I use a leader frame as my crit bike

Leader frames are cheap light and stiff.

I paid 350 for a LD735 frame carcon fork head set and carbon seat post. The decals are clear coated so the dont come off. My Leader rides well in the 25 - 33mph range is not too harsh and sprints well, most likley due to overall stiffness.

I just checked out the site for Leader frames, and they look like they might also fit the bill. The welds are slightly less ugly than the ones on the Nashbar frame, but Leader must have the ugliest logo on any bike around!! Still, they look ok, but I have a few questions, if anybody here knows the answers:

Where are they made?

Ethical Nihilist

Re: Leader frames

Where are they made?

The Nashbar Frame is a bit on the heavy side for Al. I think around 4 pounds for a 56cm.
    Good for a commuter but maybe not a racer or century bike.

The son of a riding buddy showed up on a Leader at one of our group rides. (Guess that makes him a riding buddy also). I think he went whole hog and put Dura Ace on it. The consensus was that this was a lot of bike for the buck. Looked good, rode well.

Then there's Ebay: I bought a used Macalu for 90 bucks. Built it up with parts from another bike and assorted unused parts. It's light and rides just fine. Macalu is Excel sports house brand. This frame is their old design dating back a few years. Easton taperwall main triangle.

Lot's of options for a good bike on the cheap. Pleny on Ebay, but Ebay is always a bit of a risk.

If you are looking for Ti, TST offers road frames for $625. Its the Mongoose frame. No logos.
    Work?! -- Maynard G. Krebs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003

why build? you can get complete for low $$

if you shop on-line, bikesdirect, supergo, ebay, etc -- you can get a brand new bike for a really low price

for under $1000 you can get full ultegra - brand new