Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3

    Protecting Tires on Indoor Bike Trainer

    Anyone tried the new product on Amazon called BTT Bike Trainer Tape? It protects your good tires while riding on the indoor trainer so you don't have to swap out wheels when you want to switch from indoor riding to outdoor riding.

    Robin

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    Just use last year's tires and you won't have to worry about them. I use a Continental Gator Skin back tire and it can handle plenty of trainer abuse.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3
    I used old tires during winter but became very inconvenient every time I wanted to go on a quick ride around the neighborhood. I just want to take my bike off the trainer and ride without dealing with changing tires or wheels.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    I train indoors on a trainer regularly. It's not nearly as hard on tires as people seem to claim unless you're using very delicate stuff.

  5. #5
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,828
    I just use a wheel that has a tire that I wouldn't trust to ride outside on. (worn thin)
    If there is a dry day, I just swap out the rear with another wheel with a good tire (takes 30 seconds)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,659
    What's all this talk about swapping tires, protecting tires?

    I ride the same tires on the road AND on the trainer and I have no problems.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricycle01 View Post
    Anyone tried the new product on Amazon called BTT Bike Trainer Tape? It protects your good tires while riding on the indoor trainer so you don't have to swap out wheels when you want to switch from indoor riding to outdoor riding.

    Robin
    The small number of Amazon reviews are positive, but after watching their video I have a hard time believing that tape will stay on for any length of time. However, It's only $15. Why not try it and post a review

  8. #8
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricycle01 View Post
    Anyone tried the new product on Amazon called BTT Bike Trainer Tape? It protects your good tires while riding on the indoor trainer so you don't have to swap out wheels when you want to switch from indoor riding to outdoor riding.

    Robin
    Man, just when you think you've heard of every silly, pointless bike-related product, along comes one more......I'm assuming these will go the way of the $10 titanium water bottle bolts, and the skewed saddle for people who ride on heavily-crowned roads......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,149
    Seems there's a whole new class of trainers that don't require your own rear wheel. I haven't tried them but a fellow cyclist swears by the technology.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricycle01 View Post
    I just want to take my bike off the trainer and ride without dealing with changing tires or wheels.
    This is where rollers shine.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3
    I didn't think BTT would be popular with very experienced cyclists who have no problem keeping a garage full of bike parts and changing tires and wheels very quickly; however, for the rest of us who are new to cycling or Triathlons both of those options are not convenient or quick. If all I have to do is peel off tape to switch to outdoor riding then its worth it to me. I ordered Bike Trainer Tape and will post a review next week.

    Thanks for all of the feedback

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,492
    I'm with Spade, have never had issues with normal tires on a trainer. Maybe not my 'A' tires but I certainly use any other tire I'd train on or do a Group ride or Century on.
    On a related note, do those trainer tires make a noticeable difference as far as noise goes? I use a Cycleops Fluid trainer.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

  13. #13
    Descender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,933
    I just use an old wheel with a $10 Performance house brand tire on it - this thing will last forever.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,659
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    On a related note, do those trainer tires make a noticeable difference as far as noise goes? I use a Cycleops Fluid trainer.
    The noise is caused by the "polishing" of the tire against the smooth roller. The solution is to either scuff the tire up with some sandpaper periodically or go ride on the road for a few miles if possible. Repeat as necessary. I had such a "squeaky" problem on both the trainer and rollers and this cured it.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    207
    Right now I am just using my regular tire. I wipe the tire down first with alcohol which seems to not only clean it, but makes it slightly grippier.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricycle01 View Post
    I didn't think BTT would be popular with very experienced cyclists who have no problem keeping a garage full of bike parts and changing tires and wheels very quickly; however, for the rest of us who are new to cycling or Triathlons both of those options are not convenient or quick.
    Then make it convenient and quick. Get a spare wheel set and practice. You can find decent wheelsets for $100 or so bucks, especially if you go used, and you will likely very much like having it handy (many, many times I've noticed/had a tire issue right before a ride and just grabbed another wheel and gone). It's one of those things that's nice to have around, along with a good box of tools.

    Not being able to change a wheel quickly is just silly.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,056
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Then make it convenient and quick. Get a spare wheel set and practice. You can find decent wheelsets for $100 or so bucks, especially if you go used, and you will likely very much like having it handy (many, many times I've noticed/had a tire issue right before a ride and just grabbed another wheel and gone). It's one of those things that's nice to have around, along with a good box of tools.

    Not being able to change a wheel quickly is just silly.
    A spare set of wheels goes a long way on keeping a cyclist riding when there is an issue with a wheel. Specially when said cyclist only has one bike.
    Too old to ride plastic

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    32
    How about a bike just dedicated to the trainer! That is my set-up, and I use the trainer specific tire and it shows no signs of wear.

    Just an option for those with N+1 bikes.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,860
    I think it's worth a try......assuming you can take off and put back on the same tape unlimited times. It would get too expensive if it were single use and you did a lot of both trainer and outdoors.

  20. #20
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,509
    get some rollers...I don't notice any tire wear with them.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ExChefinMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    735
    OP,

    There's a simple solution to this issue, it's called N+1. Buy another bike, then you have a dedicated trainer bike and one to ride outside. No more swapping wheels/tires as the amount of time spent doing that is far more considerable then the expense of another bike.

    Yes, this post is tongue in cheek. Consider the swapping of wheel/tire as practice for dealing with flats out on the road. The more you practice the better you get and are less likely to hold up the rest of the group while they wait for you.

    EEC
    ExChef

    -----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

    Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

    Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,438
    Quote Originally Posted by ExChefinMA View Post
    OP,

    There's a simple solution to this issue, it's called N+1. Buy another bike, then you have a dedicated trainer bike and one to ride outside. No more swapping wheels/tires as the amount of time spent doing that is far more considerable then the expense of another bike.

    Yes, this post is tongue in cheek. Consider the swapping of wheel/tire as practice for dealing with flats out on the road. The more you practice the better you get and are less likely to hold up the rest of the group while they wait for you.

    EEC
    I am pretty sure I could swap a wheel faster than I could apply that tape.

    Anyway, when I first responded to this point I did not realize that this was Trictcle01's first post. So, I think we are looking at more of a product plug than an actual question
    Last edited by DaveG; 01-03-2017 at 09:35 AM.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    138
    I've been using the same tires for the trainer and the road for several years. I just wipe off the rear tire before mounting the bike on the trainer.

    What problem have I not been noticing?

    Sorry, I don't hang out here much, so I can be a bit out of the loop on conventional road biking wisdom.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    I would agree that new tires get noisy on my Cycleops. I usually don't have this problem. I generally put on new tires in the spring and try to avoid the trainer as much as possible when I'm able to bike without a jacket.

    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    How about a bike just dedicated to the trainer! That is my set-up, and I use the trainer specific tire and it shows no signs of wear.

    Just an option for those with N+1 bikes.
    IDK, I might not want to use a 1,000g race frame a bunch in a trainer. I have a heavier frame with pretty strong wheels as my every day bike for indoor and outdoor use. I've been beating the heck out of this frame since 2011 on the trainer. The back wheel has been abused on the trainer since 2009.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I've been using the same tires for the trainer and the road for several years. I just wipe off the rear tire before mounting the bike on the trainer.

    What problem have I not been noticing?

    Sorry, I don't hang out here much, so I can be a bit out of the loop on conventional road biking wisdom.
    I think guys get hung up on what could possibly happen. Most guys aren't putting that much time on the trainer that they'll destroy their precious frame and/or tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best ways to prolong life of indoor trainer tires
    By WEG in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 03:26 PM
  2. Indoor Trainer Bike
    By Longhair-NL in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM
  3. Tires for indoor trainer
    By cowheelz in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
  4. CF bike on indoor trainer
    By pedal_damn_it in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
  5. indoor trainer help(tires)
    By clipz in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •