Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

protecting willy while riding?

This is somewhat embarassing but I'm looking for advice. I have a medical issue/injury to my male member which makes it very sensitive to (and could be irritated further by) rubbing on the front of my bike shorts while riding, even with briefs.

Short of wearing a cup or giving up riding altogether (not a great choice since treatment will take about another 10 months), any suggestions for protecting that area? I've tried the Thermajock but it doesn't stay on very well.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Get a lopitoffofme. That will work for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use a thick sock in the winter. If that works to prevent problems with the cold it might work for you by preventing abrasion in that area.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

Slightly Opinionated
    A) you're not supposed to ride with underwear under your cycling shorts.
    B) no way you're going to wear a cup
    C) get good quality shorts that are the correct size: your junk shouldn't be rubbing or moving around in your shorts if they fit properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Realist
    Instead of risking further damage to yourself, take the 10 months of treatment and start riding next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    There's a great Russian urologist that specializes in that surgery---I. Kutcherpeckerov.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I use a thick sock in the winter. If that works to prevent problems with the cold it might work for you by preventing abrasion in that area, and the women love it.
    Fixxxed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    switch to some other exercise that doesn't injure it. I know it sucks but the twins are pretty useless without big sam I would personally say maybe an elliptical machine with some loose shorts that have liners to keep things from flailing around

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Downshifter View Post
    This is somewhat embarassing but I'm looking for advice. I have a medical issue/injury to my male member which makes it very sensitive to (and could be irritated further by) rubbing on the front of my bike shorts while riding, even with briefs.

Short of wearing a cup or giving up riding altogether (not a great choice since treatment will take about another 10 months), any suggestions for protecting that area? I've tried the Thermajock but it doesn't stay on very well.
    Compression shorts underneath? I know nothing underneath usually but a pair of compression shorts may be tighter and stop any movement than your ordinary bike shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    There's a great Russian urologist that specializes in that surgery---I. Kutcherpeckerov.
    rep worthy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

bibs

You were not very descriptive about the problem (and we thank you for that) but if the problem is movement and resulting abrasion I have found that bib shorts offer more support and may reduce that effect. You could also try a bit of chamois cream there

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    did u just have a circumcision ? rest for awhile before going on the bike again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    I'd refrain from this advice... You'll eventually have to undergo an Addadicktome.. and they are not guaranteed to be 'successful'...

Take the ten months off.. select a diff form of exercise.. then resume cycling when Mr Johnson is fully recuperated...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    There are all kinds of products to reduce frictions. I think in general there are two strategies to reducing rubbing of anything, constrain it, and put something slippery over it. So like robdamanii said get a pair of good shorts that fit right. But if it still give you problems I would go with an athletic boxer brief. Before I knew better I always wore under armour boxer jocks under my cycling shorts and it never gave me any problems, but it does hold everything in place. Slippery stuff could include chamios (sp?) cream, vaseline, or maybe even lube, some oil based stuff might stay put for awhile. I think with a bit of experimenting you can find something that'll work for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the constructive suggestions. I think I will reduce or stop riding until my next (surgical) treatment, scheduled for early June. Part of the problem is due to road bike shorts being tight and putting pressure against the area. Even with looser fitting shorts, riding is probably not a great idea. I have an obstruction of the urinary tract which is difficult to treat and could get worse from riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about a speedo bathing suit?

25yr Houston-Austin MS150
    Have you looked at the Nexride "noseless" saddle? ( nexride noseless saddles - Nexride Noseless Saddle Product Description ). Keeps all of the pressure points well behind your sensitive parts. My riding partner had his prostate removed in February, and he's back up and riding on one of these. He hasn't gotten used to it yet, and complains about the 'weird' feel almost every ride, but at least he's riding.
    Four wheels good; two wheels better.

Re-Cyclist
    A TIGHT fitting wicking spandex/mesh type of undershorts will contain the item and any rubbing/abrasion will be between the briefs and the cycling shorts, not your thing.
    Jockey makes some. I found a nice assortment on ebay.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an obstruction of the urinary tract which is difficult to treat and could get worse from riding.
    I wouldn't even consider riding until the full course of treatment is complete. 10 months is nothing considering the downside if something happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Throw it over your shoulder like a Continental soldier

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Healthy penis / Riding a bike

How is this even a question?

Do WHATEVER you have to do to take care of your stuff. If that means being off your bike for 10 months, then lock your bike up for 10 months. What does your Doc say? I'm kinda thinkin' you might be better off listening to your Doctor.

Or maybe......
    If you just can't manage to stay off that bike, go uber commando. No pants, no nuthin'. Let that thing breath some fresh air. Just rock out with your **** out!
    Several suggestion if if you go with this method;
    Sunscreen!
    Get one of those goofy seats with no front end.
    Stay away from bumpy roads.
    When you are done with your "treatment", burn the seat.
    Did I say sunscreen?
    Last edited by Blackbeerthepirate; 05-07-2012 at 05:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with the prevailing opinion. I would find something else to do to stay in shape. It'll suck for the first few weeks but it'll get easier after that, especially if you have another activity/sport to concentrate on.

Many of us have had to take a short, medium, or long hiatus at one point or another (having a kid comes to mind). Some have had to take a few. Things in life just get in the way of what we want. I know, being out on the bike will likely help you mentally deal with your physical health issue but, it doesn’t sound like the right idea. I would ask my Dr. just in case though. Just don’t let the bike hang in the garage for too long after you get the OK to get back to it.

I can’t believe I got through this post without saying something immature…I must be growing up, naaaahhh.

Best of luck.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    The sentiment seems to be: I should stay off the bike, especially if my doc advises against it. At the moment my doctor is non-committal, saying I can do whatever exercise feels comfortable. I think he'd prefer me running rather than cycling, but he hasn't said no riding. Hence my original post.

However, in 4 weeks I'll have surgery involving a major tissue graft in the area, with a follow-up surgical procedural 6 mos. later. After the first of these, the doc says, "no saddle sports" until I've fully recovered from the second surgery. I plan to follow that order.

I've only been riding seriously for about a year and I'm really into it, so giving it up will be difficult. But I do have other sports that can fill the void and which the doc says are OK after 4-6 weeks post-surgery.

Thanks for the helpful posts.

Go Blue
    The sentiment seems to be: I should stay off the bike, especially if my doc advises against it.
    This is a pretty remarkable thread. I have been reading and posting on RBR since 2000. In the past 12 years, there have been numerous threads where people have been advised by doctors not to ride and the overwhelming response has been: "Ride! Ride! Ride!." In fact, I am one of those people who rode against doctors orders -- after breaking my shoulder. The fact that most people here think that you should not ride is something worth noting. Maybe we (the male among us at least) value our penises more than the other parts of our bodies. But, whatever the reason, listen to us.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Re-Cyclist
    We really don't know the extent of the condition, the discomfort, and the possible solutions. If it's a threatening condition, then by all means don't ride. If you're just a little sore externally only, then you can probably find a manner to ride if the riding does not exacerbate the sore spot. I have hemorrhoids and I ride 100-150 miles a week. I just figured out how to do it without discomfort.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast