RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Putting a noseless saddle on my fixie and you can't stop me.

Well, I haven't done it YET, but getting to it in the next week or so. Got the Hobson Easyseat. The bike is my beloved and faded Schwinn Continental, converted to fixed gear, with original suicide lever for front brake and 1/2" spd pedals. Had to build those.

Was just wondering if anyone here was so inclined to ride a noseless saddle, additionally with a fixie, and how it went.

I shall pre-emptively answer the anticipated general reactive questions:

"You'll look ridiculous. Those are ugly as sin."
    - I don't care.

"You can't do that, you won't be able to steer your bike without the nose."
    - I have read debate over this and will find out for myself. Besides, most of the time on this bike is spend out of the saddle anyways.

"Don't go with the Hobson, go with an Adomo."
    - I have wide sit bones and the Adomos are too narrow.

Let the games begin!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's a suicide lever?

And if you spend most of your time out of the saddle, why do you need an un-saddle anyway?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    What's a suicide lever?
    Putting a noseless saddle on my fixie and you can't stop me.-0620170639.jpg

Let us know how it works out. You never said why you are trying this? have you ridden them on other bikes?
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

Sleep Expert

And if you spend most of your time out of the saddle, why do you need an un-saddle anyway?
    Bam! Argument winner.
    Seriously, you will stop yourself in the form of an accident. Good luck.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If you need such a saddle for a medical reason, who's to stop you? If you don't need such a saddle, just make sure you're not cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Get a Brooks and man up
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Aha, unintended question, well justified.

1. I do have a testicular cyst (benign) that has enlarged my left testicle to about twice the size of the right, and I've had problems lately with nosed saddles (both racing and touring, both men's and women's). So I thought I'd give noseless a chance. As I mentioned in the post, I've read that some prostate cancer survivors swear by the Adomo (which is kind of a noseless saddle and kind of not), but it's too narrow for me.

2. To clarify, most of the time spend out of the saddle in a fixie is accelerating/decelerating, especially if setup with a higher gear ratio/slower cadence. So with urban riding, maybe this is 50% or so. Much of the maneuvering time is spent in the saddle, thus the interest in the role of the nose in steering.

3. My buddy back in Madison had one and loved it. Don't remember if it was on his fixie or not, and it wasn't a Hobson, but it sure looked weird.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    If the brooks fit me, I'd do it. The only model they have that fits me is the ladies' version of the Team Pro, and it's more an issue of shelling out over $100 for a saddle on a bike that is really my 4th in line than it is an issue of "manning up."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, I'll tell you what. Ditch the fixie.

I had testicular cancer (my cyst was not benign). Cycling helped me realize what was going on, because my rides were much more painful than I'd ever remembered. At the time, I was commuting here in NYC on my fixed gear bike. The trouble with fixed is you need to be on (or just hovering over) the saddle at all times, even over potholes. With a freewheel, you can coast over bumps with your feet at 3 and 9-oclock, absorbing impact, and keeping your boys off the saddle.

How do you know it's benign? I was told there was no way to do a biopsy without a radical orchiectomy (removing the affected testicle). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious, since I seemed to have no choice in the matter. Mine was found to be malignant, so it was all worth it. Now that $hit is out of my body, and my normal saddles feel great...even over pot holes. But I still ride a freewheel, because freewheels are faster.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bbulmann View Post
    1/2" spd pedals. Had to build those.
    Curious—how'd you do that? Change out the spindle and bearings?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Curious—how'd you do that? Change out the spindle and bearings?
    Wellgo used to make a SPD kit that allowed you to build the clips onto a plain pedal provided it had the room. I used BMX style Redline pedals, it's all I had at the time in 1/2" spindle. I still see those on fleabay from time to time and think of grabbing them to build some up. There seems to be quite a market for 1/2" SPD pedals from people who own the old Schwinns and want to used a recessed cleat. I don't know why Wellgo stopped making them. They're awesome. When I find my camera, I'll post a pic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    How do you know it's benign? I was told there was no way to do a biopsy without a radical orchiectomy (removing the affected testicle). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious, since I seemed to have no choice in the matter. Mine was found to be malignant, so it was all worth it. Now that $hit is out of my body, and my normal saddles feel great...even over pot holes. But I still ride a freewheel, because freewheels are faster.
    I will keep your suggestion to ditch the fixie for the freewheel in mind for reasons of impact absorption. But I disagree that they're faster. It seems they are only faster in hilly areas where you can coast faster than you would pedal. I would not be upset if I was disproven on this though, it's simply from my own perception.

As for diagnosis, different cysts can be detected and diagnosed in different ways. The determination of malignancy of depends on the type and can be sometimes only be determined by needle biopsy, sometimes only by cyst removal, but sometimes simply by ultrasound (for example with retention cysts like spermatoceles or cysts that are the result of an injury or testicular torsion). My doctor (who rocks and also does tri's) says the surgical option is more complicated that it's worth at this point, unless the pain level or interference with physical activity increases, in which case it may come out. I've been bicycling and touring for over ten years, but this is my first year racing, and I've had the cyst for about two years now and we'll see how it goes.

Glad to hear you're enjoying biking again after the recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbulmann View Post
    I will keep your suggestion to ditch the fixie for the freewheel in mind for reasons of impact absorption. But I disagree that they're faster. It seems they are only faster in hilly areas where you can coast faster than you would pedal. I would not be upset if I was disproven on this though, it's simply from my own perception.
    Yes, in hilly areas. Descending on a fixed gear is a humiliating waste of effort. You look like a bow-legged monkey running down a slide. Meanwhile anyone who can coast is making up whatever time you gained on the climb. That said, I prefer fixed for foul weather descents, since you can control traction a bit more on slippery surfaces (by which I mean they excel at being slow).

Anyway, one can never have too many saddle options. Buy it, try it, and let us know how it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I rode an ISM Adamo on the TT bike and liked it once I figured out the angle. Many triathletes use them around here but, I've only seen a couple guys using them on road bikes. IMHO you need to run the nose a touch lower otherwise the "prongs" will dig into the soft tissue of the perineum. It was easy to run the nose down on the TT bike because of the forward weight distribution over the pads and the leverage the aero bars created while using them. Not sure if I'd like it on a road bike but anything is possible. When I used one they only had a few options but, it looks like they have expanded the line a bit.