Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3

    Quarq Compatibility

    I've been reading lots of stuff online but am still a bit confused about Quarq Compatibility.

    Basically, i want a power meter which will be able to be used in either BB30, or Shimano Pressfit type shells. My understanding is that the best option is to get the GXP Quarq, as this will fit 24/22mm spindles , and for BB30, use an adapter to take up some space (or just change the bottom bracket)?

    Hidden vs non hidden bolt: is this just for the looks? I know some SRAM cranks/rings have a bolt under the arm, but am i correct in saying every other crank is non hidden?

    Rings: what chain rings are compatible? can i use my FSA rings from a supersix to attach to a dzero?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,320
    Truthfully, its a bit complicated. You need to be very specific about what your plan for the Quarq is. How many bikes you may want to run it on and specifically what bottom brackets you have on those bikes. Because Quarq's come in many varieties including the DZero they tout...some will and some won't....work on every bottom bracket, my suggestion would be forearmed with specifically what bikes you want to use this pricey power meter on...contact Sram customer service and determine specifically what model they suggest. Sram GXP which satisfies spindle length requirement for wide shell BB's...like BBright, BB90 and BB86...is not 30mm and therefore would have to be spaced both diametrally and laterally for BB30. Can be done but there may be a more elegant solution Quarq...but you have to be very specific which BB's you want to run and if dropping this kind of money, I would call Sram for their advice....but know specifically what bikes and BB types you want to run before you call.

    A further note and will share my personal opinion. I don't think of Sram as making the best cranks on the planet. If spending a lot of money, I want the best crankset and IMHO, Shimano makes the best cranks and I am a Campy guy. Shimano cranks with some adaptation will fit every bottom bracket out there. The new 8000 series Ultegra crank bang for buck is probably the best crankset on the planet. So...why not run Shimano cranks on all your bikes and if you want power and any of them, simply swap the left crank arm fitted with Stages PM? Accomplishes two things....you ride the crank with stiffest chain rings for best shift integrity....Shimano in my experience has the most reliable crank design...dual pinch bolt..mechanical preload is my personal favorite...you have easy convertibility of all your bikes to riding with power. Stages + Utegra or even DA cranks is cost effective compared to a Quarq...and why settle for an inferior crank?

    My opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fU07EBUEc
    Last edited by 11spd; 01-10-2018 at 03:00 AM.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,387
    Quote Originally Posted by DHogg View Post
    I've been reading lots of stuff online but am still a bit confused about Quarq Compatibility.

    Basically, i want a power meter which will be able to be used in either BB30, or Shimano Pressfit type shells. My understanding is that the best option is to get the GXP Quarq, as this will fit 24/22mm spindles , and for BB30, use an adapter to take up some space (or just change the bottom bracket)?

    Hidden vs non hidden bolt: is this just for the looks? I know some SRAM cranks/rings have a bolt under the arm, but am i correct in saying every other crank is non hidden?

    Rings: what chain rings are compatible? can i use my FSA rings from a supersix to attach to a dzero?

    Thanks in advance
    Yes get a GXP version. You can either use adapters from say Wheels Manufacturing or use an appropriate BB. I did this with Kogel for a BB386EVO in a Derosa last year. Kogel link HERE.

    Hidden v. non-hidden: Hidden = SRAM Red DZero (yes a Quarq). Non-hidden = Quarq DZero carbon or aluminum chassis. I'm not entirely sure about the Red but, I believe any 5 bolt ring (depending on 130 or 110 BCD) will work with the regular Quarq or non-hidden. Not sure about the hidden (Red) version. They used to have a nut with an oversized flange but the latest version I think you just torque the bolt through the ring into the crank arm. I'm not explaining it well so give SRAM/Quarq a call to be sure.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by DHogg View Post
    Rings: what chain rings are compatible? can i use my FSA rings from a supersix to attach to a dzero?
    For re-using your chain rings:

    If you look at your cranks and can see 5 chain ring bolts, then you have non-hidden bolt.

    If you look at your cranks and see 4 of the 5 chain ring bolts, then you have hidden bolt.

    Hidden and non-hidden chain rings have the chain catcher knob thing in different places. Depending upon the chain ring, you may or may not be able to move that knob thing to another location.

    Advantages either way: As I recall, stiffness and weight savings - i.e., marketing with negligible/no real benefit. So, if you want to re-use you rings, buy the power meter with the same hidden/non-hidden as your rings.

    Note: you also need to know the bolt center diameter of your chain rings/crank and but the crank with the same BCD.

    Spindle size: You should have bought bikes with the same bb size. But, Woodys got it. Buy the gxp and an adapter for the 30 mm bike. You have a whole bunch of adapter choices (wheels manufacturing link) with the better option of a new bottom bracket for the 30 mm bike (praxis works bb conversion link).

    Re Quarq: I have an Elsa R for over 3 years. It has been great. I would buy it again. I would like to buy a dzero so I have power on both my bikes without switching cranks from one to the other.

    Re 11 spd's run left power only: There are reasons not to do that including same money for guesstimating power from right leg vs actually measuring it. There are many threads about it. Look for posts from rchung.
    Last edited by crit_boy; 01-10-2018 at 06:59 AM.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    625
    Price wise (DA vs Red) stages is more expensive for dual sided. For the single sided DA is slightly cheaper but only because red doesn't include the rings. If you are only going Ultegra then stages wins the price battle. More importantly than which crankset works better might be what groupset is being run on the rest of the bike, while compatibility wise it might not matter as much, people tend to run whatever matches the rest of the groupset.

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Truthfully, its a bit complicated. You need to be very specific about what your plan for the Quarq is. How many bikes you may want to run it on and specifically what bottom brackets you have on those bikes. Because Quarq's come in many varieties including the DZero they tout...some will and some won't....work on every bottom bracket, my suggestion would be forearmed with specifically what bikes you want to use this pricey power meter on...contact Sram customer service and determine specifically what model they suggest. Sram GXP which satisfies spindle length requirement for wide shell BB's...like BBright, BB90 and BB86...is not 30mm and therefore would have to be spaced both diametrally and laterally for BB30. Can be done but there may be a more elegant solution Quarq...but you have to be very specific which BB's you want to run and if dropping this kind of money, I would call Sram for their advice....but know specifically what bikes and BB types you want to run before you call.

    A further note and will share my personal opinion. I don't think of Sram as making the best cranks on the planet. If spending a lot of money, I want the best crankset and IMHO, Shimano makes the best cranks and I am a Campy guy. Shimano cranks with some adaptation will fit every bottom bracket out there. The new 8000 series Ultegra crank bang for buck is probably the best crankset on the planet. So...why not run Shimano cranks on all your bikes and if you want power and any of them, simply swap the left crank arm fitted with Stages PM? Accomplishes two things....you ride the crank with stiffest chain rings for best shift integrity....Shimano in my experience has the most reliable crank design...dual pinch bolt..mechanical preload is my personal favorite...you have easy convertibility of all your bikes to riding with power. Stages + Utegra or even DA cranks is cost effective compared to a Quarq...and why settle for an inferior crank?

    My opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fU07EBUEc
    Nevermind
    Last edited by cxwrench; 01-10-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Price wise (DA vs Red) stages is more expensive for dual sided. For the single sided DA is slightly cheaper but only because red doesn't include the rings. If you are only going Ultegra then stages wins the price battle. More importantly than which crankset works better might be what groupset is being run on the rest of the bike, while compatibility wise it might not matter as much, people tend to run whatever matches the rest of the groupset.
    I personally don't believe in a matched groupset. I don't need a Vittoria seat post to match my tires either....or a Zipp saddle to match my wheelset. Honestly, one of the silliest conventions I have come across. I run Shimano brakes on Campy bikes and also Shimano cranks here and there. I believe Shimano makes the best cranks. You of course may disagree.
    DA cranks have little value added. Ultegra 8000 with Stages Gen 2 is the sweet spot for me. No Quarq or Sram cranks for me. No thanks. No powertap either FWIW.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Truthfully, its a bit complicated. You need to be very specific about what your plan for the Quarq is. How many bikes you may want to run it on and specifically what bottom brackets you have on those bikes. Because Quarq's come in many varieties including the DZero they tout...some will and some won't....work on every bottom bracket, my suggestion would be forearmed with specifically what bikes you want to use this pricey power meter on...contact Sram customer service and determine specifically what model they suggest. Sram GXP which satisfies spindle length requirement for wide shell BB's...like BBright, BB90 and BB86...is not 30mm and therefore would have to be spaced both diametrally and laterally for BB30. Can be done but there may be a more elegant solution Quarq...but you have to be very specific which BB's you want to run and if dropping this kind of money, I would call Sram for their advice....but know specifically what bikes and BB types you want to run before you call.

    A further note and will share my personal opinion. I don't think of Sram as making the best cranks on the planet. If spending a lot of money, I want the best crankset and IMHO, Shimano makes the best cranks and I am a Campy guy. Shimano cranks with some adaptation will fit every bottom bracket out there. The new 8000 series Ultegra crank bang for buck is probably the best crankset on the planet. So...why not run Shimano cranks on all your bikes and if you want power and any of them, simply swap the left crank arm fitted with Stages PM? Accomplishes two things....you ride the crank with stiffest chain rings for best shift integrity....Shimano in my experience has the most reliable crank design...dual pinch bolt..mechanical preload is my personal favorite...you have easy convertibility of all your bikes to riding with power. Stages + Utegra or even DA cranks is cost effective compared to a Quarq...and why settle for an inferior crank?

    My opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fU07EBUEc
    I wasn't that specific, but thanks for that. Useful post.

    Bascially, my bike now is a supersix evo, however i'll be upgrading in the near future and don't know what the next bike will be. I'd prefer to not have to also replace the power meter, which is why i wanted something which isn't limited to a certain spec bottom bracket. If price wasn't an obstacle, i would just get Vector 3's.

    I thought about stages, but don't really want single sided.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    I personally don't believe in a matched groupset. I don't need a Vittoria seat post to match my tires either....or a Zipp saddle to match my wheelset. Honestly, one of the silliest conventions I have come across. I run Shimano brakes on Campy bikes and also Shimano cranks here and there. I believe Shimano makes the best cranks. You of course may disagree.
    DA cranks have little value added. Ultegra 8000 with Stages Gen 2 is the sweet spot for me. No Quarq or Sram cranks for me. No thanks. No powertap either FWIW.
    I'm not saying it is any sort of requirement, and even think wheel/saddle "brand" matching is taking things a bit too far. But typically speaking you don't see sram cranks on a shimano groupset bike or shimano cranks on an otherwise sram bike.

    I've never actually used a shimano crank despite my bikes all having shimano everything else, FSA cranks came stock and later upgraded to an sworks crank with praxis rings, but I don't doubt they are the best in terms shifting. I would have less of an issue mixing brakes between sram/shimano but unlikely I would ever do cranks. It might be a superficial preference but not one that is uncommon.

  10. #10
    The Slow One.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,648
    I will add that anything older than Riken/Elsa (eg S975) will not work with press-fit bottom brackets because of physical clearance issues. My 10 speed SRMs are the same way.

    As mentioned, give SRAM a call and see what they suggest.

Similar Threads

  1. Quarq/Red Cranksets & Madone Compatibility - What have I got here?
    By cpecrivaine in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2017, 12:22 PM
  2. Crux (2014) questions and Quarq compatibility
    By ritchie75 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 04:31 AM
  4. New Quarq+ Garmin Edge 500 or Used Wired SRAM SRM Powermeter?
    By kramteetop in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
  5. Anyone receive their Quarq Cinco?
    By cre8sleep in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest RoadBike Articles

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.