Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Many companies do not provide warranty on gray market products - very common with electronics. Here's a quote from Consumer Warranty explanation page which raises a question in my mind of what they will cover if the source was from outside the country which appears to be the case here. Either way, it's got the wrong map and he won't be getting all the free updates to the map if he installs a US map, because it's still going to be a European model - I would definitely return it and get a US version.

International Purchases: A separate warranty may be provided by international distributors for devices purchased outside the United States depending on the country. If applicable, this warranty is provided by the local in-country distributor and this distributor provides local service for your device. Distributor warranties are only valid in the area of intended distribution.
    Yes, good points on grey market, if that's what this is. Only Garmin could answer how they would deal with it.

The 820 as sold for US market comes with the Garmin US Cycling map. If it's the same as the 1000 (and I think it is) it's as usable as OSM, but is it better ?, anybody's guess. I used an 810 with OSM and it was really no different, but then I'm not relying on any Garmin to give me recent and updatable info as to location of bagel stores, as example.

Garmin does push updated maps for the 1000, but I'm not sure I've noticed any changes.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Why no warranty ?, I would think that Garmin would honor no matter where you purchased from. If the vendor was not an authorized Garmin dealer, maybe, or black market item ?.
    There are several reasons why.
    Some has to do with laws of different countries. While the product might seem the same, sometimes there are slight differences. I had an Edge 500 from Taiwan once. It had a TW specific serial number and it wouldn't accept the same firmware updates as other Edge 500's. Maybe it was just a software issue, but maybe there was circuitry difference, so it'd be impossible for a U.S. service facility to repair it.

It could have to do with pricing, taxes, tariffs. If it's much cheaper to buy the product in Europe because of this, US distributors don't want everyone to go buy it overseas. So by not covering the warranty, it's a deterrent.

If you purchased a unit in Europe, travelled to the US for a tour, had a unit fail under warranty, I would think Garmin would have you ship it to them.
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/c...mited-warranty
    If your device is still not functioning properly after making use of these resources, contact a Garmin Authorized service facility in the original country of purchase

If you seek warranty service outside of the original country of purchase, Garmin cannot guarantee that the parts and products needed to repair or replace your product will be available due to differences in product offerings and applicable standards, laws and regulations. In that case, Garmin may, in its sole discretion and subject to applicable laws, repair or replace your product with comparable Garmin products and parts, or require you to ship your product to a Garmin Authorized Service facility in the country of original purchase or to a Garmin Authorized service facility in another country that can service your product, in which case you will be responsible for complying with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and for paying all custom duties, V.A.T., shipping fees and other associated taxes and charges. In some cases, Garmin and its dealers may be unable to service your product in a country outside of the original country of purchase or return a repaired or replaced product to you in that country due to applicable standards, laws or regulations in that country.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There are several reasons why.
    Some has to do with laws of different countries. While the product might seem the same, sometimes there are slight differences. I had an Edge 500 from Taiwan once. It had a TW specific serial number and it wouldn't accept the same firmware updates as other Edge 500's. Maybe it was just a software issue, but maybe there was circuitry difference, so it'd be impossible for a U.S. service facility to repair it.

It could have to do with pricing, taxes, tariffs. If it's much cheaper to buy the product in Europe because of this, US distributors don't want everyone to go buy it overseas. So by not covering the warranty, it's a deterrent.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/c...mited-warranty
    If your device is still not functioning properly after making use of these resources, contact a Garmin Authorized service facility in the original country of purchase

If you seek warranty service outside of the original country of purchase, Garmin cannot guarantee that the parts and products needed to repair or replace your product will be available due to differences in product offerings and applicable standards, laws and regulations. In that case, Garmin may, in its sole discretion and subject to applicable laws, repair or replace your product with comparable Garmin products and parts, or require you to ship your product to a Garmin Authorized Service facility in the country of original purchase or to a Garmin Authorized service facility in another country that can service your product, in which case you will be responsible for complying with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and for paying all custom duties, V.A.T., shipping fees and other associated taxes and charges. In some cases, Garmin and its dealers may be unable to service your product in a country outside of the original country of purchase or return a repaired or replaced product to you in that country due to applicable standards, laws or regulations in that country.
    We aren't really arguing, it's mostly an interesting discussion, but I wonder if a US citizen, residing in the US, purchasing from an on-line vendor such as Amazon, who re-sells via a 3rd party located ?, would legally meet the requirements of having purchased in the US. Regardless of where the unit was intended to be sold. It's a world wide economy for sure.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    We aren't really arguing, it's mostly an interesting discussion, but I wonder if a US citizen, residing in the US, purchasing from an on-line vendor such as Amazon, who re-sells via a 3rd party located ?, would legally meet the requirements of having purchased in the US. Regardless of where the unit was intended to be sold. It's a world wide economy for sure.
    It is a worldwide economy...But remember the USA is basically laissez-faire free-for-all where you can do anything with regard to warranty/support/data-mining/etc so long as you have a TOS/EULA (that no one reads) giving the manufacturer an out. Whereas the EU (for example) still has consumer protections galore making much of the grating EULA/TOS games in the USA not legal.

Hence different SKUs with different software for different markets through different distributors. You buy EU parts in the USA...most every manufacturer's US offices will not even talk to you--remedy is through the retailer. Buy a Campag FD from the EU and have a failure, Campagnolo USA will not answer your emails or calls.

Also there's the Amazon problem...Amazon basically does nothing to quash grey-market sales or resales of goods. My ALite camping chair broke inside of a year, called ALite (their site says lifetime warranty) having bought it off Amazon...they told me that 3rd party sellers on Amazon were NOT authorized resellers. And legally were grey market WRT their warranty. They told me to try for warranty through the retailer....who completely abdicated responsibility--in spite of the warranty paperwork they included stating their own liability...Alite was stand-up about it and warrantied my chair anyway.
    Last edited by Marc; 05-11-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some companies are very clear about this, however Garmin has left some ambiguity in how they will handle a claim in print (they probably have internal policy which directs more specifically). Nikon is an example of a company that is very clear - if are in the US and want warranty support, and it doesn't have a US serial number on the equipment, Nikon US will have nothing to do with it regardless of where you purchased it. They will also not provide warranty support for anything not purchased from an authorized dealer.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12