Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Question about maps on the Garmin 820

I have a Garmin 800 that is getting a bit old. I was looking at the manual for the 820 and I’m confused as to what level of maps it uses. There does not appear to be a separate SD slot for map data. Do you download detailed street-level maps onto the device? Does it just use a high-level base map? Any users of the 820 that can make this clear?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You download the maps to the internal memory.
    It has a base map, but the built in map isn't that great IMO.

Here's some info on downloading maps. I use the opensourse maps on my 520 and my GF's 820. They're really good and detailed.
    dcrainmaker has been updating this info as new units are released.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/...705800810.html

It's a little vague on the 820 itself but this clears it up.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/...omment-1621824
    Hi DCR,

I was able to add OSM map into my Edge 820 successfully.

I just copy the downloaded “gapsupp.img” directly into the “X:\Garmin” folder found in 820’s internal memory.

I test it by disabling all pre-installed maps (base map, gmapdem, cycle map, etc.) and only enable the OSM map I installed. Then I did a search for a couple of addresses. My 820 was able to find the address from the OSM map.

So you may want to edit the title of this article to include the new Edge 820
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You download the maps to the internal memory.
    It has a base map, but the built in map isn't that great IMO.

Here's some info on downloading maps. I use the opensourse maps on my 520 and my GF's 820. They're really good and detailed.
    dcrainmaker has been updating this info as new units are released.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/...705800810.html

It's a little vague on the 820 itself but this clears it up.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/...omment-1621824
    Hi DCR,

I was able to add OSM map into my Edge 820 successfully.

I just copy the downloaded “gapsupp.img” directly into the “X:\Garmin” folder found in 820’s internal memory.

I test it by disabling all pre-installed maps (base map, gmapdem, cycle map, etc.) and only enable the OSM map I installed. Then I did a search for a couple of addresses. My 820 was able to find the address from the OSM map.

So you may want to edit the title of this article to include the new Edge 820
    Are the open source maps better than the Garmin maps?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Way better.
    Lots of cool details like streams, schools, fire house, campgrounds.

Because of this, the files become huge so you only download the regions you want. Opposed to the Garmin base map that's the entire U.S., so much less detail.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

I find the basemap on the Edge 1000 better than downloadable maps. Might not have say topo data...but it is fully routable with local residential detail and has POIs that are similarly searchable and routable. I think the 820 uses the same basemap....unlike say the utterly useless basemap included with the Edge 305-705 and others (that only had interstates and major highways).

The question is whether you need routing abilities or not. And how much or little love you have for Garmin.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found the base level maps quite good actually - not sure what people are looking for but it has all the streets in my area listed and had everything including unimproved dirt roads used in Dirty Kanza 200 this year on the map. They send updates to the bicycle maps about every 2 months it seems which is also loaded in the data base although I haven't ever really used them.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I find the basemap on the Edge 1000 better than downloadable maps. Might not have say topo data...but it is fully routable with local residential detail and has POIs that are similarly searchable and routable. I think the 820 uses the same basemap....unlike say the utterly useless basemap included with the Edge 305-705 and others (that only had interstates and major highways).

The question is whether you need routing abilities or not. And how much or little love you have for Garmin.
    The high level basemaps from the older units is what I remember reading about. I just wanted to make sure that there are options for street level maps. Maybe I get that out of the box

RoadBikeReview Member
    you get street level maps out of the box with the 820

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    you get street level maps out of the box with the 820
    I just got an 820 in the US. I went to a map screen, and it has nothing!

So I went to setup, settings, activity profiles, train, navigation, map, map information (says select map) and these are the maps,

1. enabled-intl standard basemap, nr
    2. enabled -garmin cycle map eu 2016.11
    3. Enabled -edge dem map eu 2014.10
    4. Enabled -garmin geocode map eu 2016.10

Assuming none of these cover North America? How do I get the correct map on the system?

If I go to navigation on the home screen, then intersection, it comes up with Albania as the only country, and says enter country, put in usa, nada.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    I just got an 820 in the US. I went to a map screen, and it has nothing!

So I went to setup, settings, activity profiles, train, navigation, map, map information (says select map) and these are the maps,

1. enabled-intl standard basemap, nr
    2. enabled -garmin cycle map eu 2016.11
    3. Enabled -edge dem map eu 2014.10
    4. Enabled -garmin geocode map eu 2016.10

Assuming none of these cover North America? How do I get the correct map on the system?

If I go to navigation on the home screen, then intersection, it comes up with Albania as the only country, and says enter country, put in usa, nada.
    Where'd you buy it online? Looks like you got a European model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Yes, purchased from Amazon. Got it in 2 days though, so didn't ship from overseas...

Anyway to get the NA maps that you know of? Thanks.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, purchased from Amazon. Got it in 2 days though, so didn't ship from overseas...

Contact who you bought it through on Amazon. Sounds like they're getting European models and selling them.

There is a way to download the North America maps, I don't know how. You could try the garmin forums. They're pretty helpful.

Also, check post #2 above. You can always download open source maps. I find them more detailed than the garmin maps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

From Amazon - return it.
    Buy another one.
    Done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    From Amazon - return it.
    Buy another one.
    Done.
    yep, this! The seller is selling gray market garmins, it won't have a US warranty either. Did you buy it on Amazon through another seller or from Amazon on Amazon? Either way return it and get another one from someone you can trust. For what it's worth, Amazon doesn't have the best prices on Garmins, you can do better elsewhere when they are on sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    yep, this! The seller is selling gray market garmins, it won't have a US warranty either. Did you buy it on Amazon through another seller or from Amazon on Amazon? Either way return it and get another one from someone you can trust. For what it's worth, Amazon doesn't have the best prices on Garmins, you can do better elsewhere when they are on sale.
    Agree. Return it with Amazon. Only other option is to move to Albania

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks everyone! I contacted garmin who confirmed it was an EU model, and can't get maps on it unless 3d party or pay $50.

I didn't purchase direct from Garmin as my 810 crapped out just as riding started here in the Northeast, and needed a new computer. Garmin was out of stock, but Amazon had one. It was not direct from Amazon, though you have to look carefully. It said they were in NY, and was a regular 2 day shipment, not one of those 2 week deals.

I have thrown away the box, since I rode with it a few x before needing to use the maps, and all other functions were working ok.

I will return it, and purchase from Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks everyone! I contacted garmin who confirmed it was an EU model, and can't get maps on it unless 3d party or pay $50.

I didn't purchase direct from Garmin as my 810 crapped out just as riding started here in the Northeast, and needed a new computer. Garmin was out of stock, but Amazon had one. It was not direct from Amazon, though you have to look carefully. It said they were in NY, and was a regular 2 day shipment, not one of those 2 week deals.

I have thrown away the box, since I rode with it a few x before needing to use the maps, and all other functions were working ok.

I will return it, and purchase from Garmin.
    Make sure you CAN return it before ordering a new one. It can be more complicated returning items to private sellers on Amazon. You have to contact the seller and get permission first, not the same as the E-Z process returning items bought direct from Amazon. They may not take it without a box/original packing, or charge re-stocking fee.

I also use third party maps on my Garmin 520 via DCRainmaker links, not a problem at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Make sure you CAN return it before ordering a new one. It can be more complicated returning items to private sellers on Amazon. You have to contact the seller and get permission first, not the same as the E-Z process returning items bought direct from Amazon. They may not take it without a box/original packing, or charge re-stocking fee.

I also use third party maps on my Garmin 520 via DCRainmaker links, not a problem at all.
    Thanks. He never said in the description that it was a EU model , and he is based in NY, so in my mind either defective or not accurate web description. Amazon will back that up, so I believe it will be returned no problem. Return label went through with no issue as well.

It comes with good maps, it was a reason I choose this over the 520 for the extra $50

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. He never said in the description that it was a EU model , and he is based in NY, so in my mind either defective or not accurate web description. Amazon will back that up, so I believe it will be returned no problem. Return label went through with no issue as well.
    You should have no problem getting a refund if it was misleadingly advertised. You could always dispute it with your CC company too. But I'm sure Amazon will take care of you.

It comes with good maps, it was a reason I choose this over the 520 for the extra $50
    Don't discount the 520. The open source maps linked above work with the 520, and they're superior to the Garmin maps.

If you don't need the navigation of the 820 and just want the maps for routes, the 520 does it great.
    Many people don't like the touch screen of the 820 (I definitely don't). The 520 has actual buttons. If you ride in the fall/winter with full gloves, the touch screen can be useless.

Just food for thought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I really wouldn't be bothering to return the 820, the process to install Open Street Maps is really simple and well documented on the DC Rainmaker site. I had to install maps on my 810 when I got it and it was easy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I'm confused. If you use OSM maps, you can't do routing?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I really wouldn't be bothering to return the 820, the process to install Open Street Maps is really simple and well documented on the DC Rainmaker site. I had to install maps on my 810 when I got it and it was easy.
    There's still the issue of not having a warranty with his European garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Yes, OSM maps are route-able.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Yes, you can do routing. Garmin Connect works well. So does RideWithGPS, though to use that course you need to either do a USB/computer transfer, or use a stand alone app that transfers. I actually like the Garmin system, as it does a BlueTooth course transfer via the smartphone mobile app and is painless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There's still the issue of not having a warranty with his European garmin.

Yes, OSM maps are route-able.
    Why no warranty ?, I would think that Garmin would honor no matter where you purchased from. If the vendor was not an authorized Garmin dealer, maybe, or black market item ?. If you purchased a unit in Europe, travelled to the US for a tour, had a unit fail under warranty, I would think Garmin would have you ship it to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Why no warranty ?, I would think that Garmin would honor no matter where you purchased from. If the vendor was not an authorized Garmin dealer, maybe, or black market item ?. If you purchased a unit in Europe, travelled to the US for a tour, had a unit fail under warranty, I would think Garmin would have you ship it to them.
    Many companies do not provide warranty on gray market products - very common with electronics. Here's a quote from Consumer Warranty explanation page which raises a question in my mind of what they will cover if the source was from outside the country which appears to be the case here. Either way, it's got the wrong map and he won't be getting all the free updates to the map if he installs a US map, because it's still going to be a European model - I would definitely return it and get a US version.

International Purchases: A separate warranty may be provided by international distributors for devices purchased outside the United States depending on the country. If applicable, this warranty is provided by the local in-country distributor and this distributor provides local service for your device. Distributor warranties are only valid in the area of intended distribution.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast