Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

Question for Jack about the Corrida Series

First I'll start by thanking you for the participation in the forum. Your professionalism is appreciated.

I just happened to notice the new forum the other day and was very impressed with the response from some of your previous customers. Another thing I have noticed that I think reflects highly upon your bikes is that I hardly ever see any used Ibex's for sale on ebay.

To the questions:

Does the Corrida series frames have rack and fender mounts?

Do they all accept Disc brakes or just the Ultimate?

Do you ever sell it as just a frame (set) in this series?

Does the B-series have rack and fender mounts?

Do you have (or could recommend) a rigid fork for the B-series

Now the dreaded question:
    Are the stickers under the clear coat. I normally would never go to the trouble of removing the stickers but I have a specific project in mind that would require a bare frame and the paint scheme on the Ultimate would be perfect.

I few comments:
    IMO it would be nice if you offered Frame sets (F/F/HS) instead of just frames for some of the models.

I would love to see a curved top tube frame like the B-series but for 700 wheels

Keep up the good work. I truly hope to be an Ibex owner one day although it most likely will have to be from the second hand market.

Thanks
    Greg
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

Company CSR
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for your kind words!

Corrida frames do have rack and fender mounts. Forks on the stock Corrida models vary on this issue, depending on the model. All Corrida frames are disc ready. We are, in fact, coming out with a disc equipped version of the Corrida LT this Spring.

We do not normally offer the Corrida frames separately. There just does not seem to be much demand for scratch-built flat-bar road bikes. On top of that, we do sell our X-Ray cyclocross frame separately and it is also disc ready. So, most customers interested in building a disc roadie seem to gravitate to the X-Ray. That said, we might have the odd Corrida frame hanging around. You'd need to give me a call after January 4th when our warehouse reopens from the holiday break. I'll need to physically check inventory to see what we have in Corrida frames and what sizes they are. BTW, the Corridas & X-Rays have 135 O.L.D. spacing on the rear to accommodate MTB disc hubs. We do try to keep a few extra wheelsets on-hand for those since it is rather difficult to find them ready-built. That includes disc wheelsets from the Corrida Ultimate, past and present.

The B-series frames also have rack and fender mounts. Keep in mind, though, that the discs may be interfered with by the struts on most standard racks & fenders. If you're running discs with a rack you will either need to buy a rack made for use with discs or make some modification to the strut. Easiest is to use a stand-off at the left eyelet that puts the rack strut about an inch outboard of the drop-outs. The same situation applies to Corridas & X-Rays with discs.

We do not stock rigid forks for the B-series, but it should be relatively easy to find one for 26" wheels and 1 & 1/8" threadless headset. We have a few of the 2006 B-series frames left, but are sold out of the complete bikes. The B-27 RSR will be on hiatus for 2007, though expected to be revamped somewhat and return in 2008.

All of our decals are water-transfer under clearcoat (double clearcoat, in most cases). These are much more attractive than peel-off stickers, but might not work out for what you have in mind unless you want to strip down to bare metal.

We are planning to offer some road frames as frame/fork sets later in 2007. In particular, we will have X-Ray and Aprisa frame & fork sets this Spring. Most of our frames already include headsets, especially road bikes since we use integrated headsets that are specific to the headtube machining (Cane Creek IS format).

I agree with you on the curved T/T 700c issue. That is one of the possibilities were looking at for the new B-series for 2008.

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the reply!

I had not considered the issue of racks with disc brakes. I certianly will keep that in mind.

I may very well call you in a few weeks to ask about the spare frame. I would need a 57 I assume. However your teaser about a curved TT 700 bike in the future has me questioning if I should be more patient.

One more question about flat bar road bikes in general. I'm very intrigued with the flat bar road bikes but there is a part of me that worries that in the end I will want to go back to a drop bar.

Is there a significant difference in geometry that would prevent me from using the Corrida frame with drop bars?

Thanks again
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifelover
    One more question about flat bar road bikes in general. I'm very intrigued with the flat bar road bikes but there is a part of me that worries that in the end I will want to go back to a drop bar.

Is there a significant difference in geometry that would prevent me from using the Corrida frame with drop bars?
    The Corrida frame could certainly be used with drop-bars. There are issues involved in doing this that revolve around the components, though. A few things to consider are:

Road bike brake levers have a different cable pull ratio than mountain bike levers. The frame is set-up for either cantilever / V-brakes or discs. If you go with drop-bars then you need to stick with those types of rim brakes or discs made for road applications... Avid BB-Road discs being the only ones I know of commonly available on the US market at the moment. Tektro is now also making a road compatible disc brake which we'll be using on future models, but I have not seen those available as aftermarket items in the US. If you go with rim brakes you'd want to stick with cantilevers or mini V-brakes. Standard V-brakes would require the longer cable pull of MTB levers and the frame's canti/V-brake bosses would interfere with road calipers.

The only good possibility I see for going with MTB discs (standard V-brakes) would be to use bar-end shifters and Dia-Comp 287V levers. Those levers were designed for drop-bars, but have MTB brake pull ratio. They may be out of production now, but can still be found if you look hard. Those are brake levers only, so you wouldn't have STI shifting.

I realize that you're looking seriously at discs, but for clarification let me also address the details for cantilevers. The Corrida frame does not include an integrated rear hanger for cantis (as the X-Ray frame does). You'd have to use a seatpost mounted cable hanger for the rear brake as well as a headset mounted one for the front brake.

If you go with the discs remember that you'll have to locate a road fork with disc tabs... not necessarily all that easy to find. Also, as mentioned above, the rear spacing requires MTB hubs. That's certainly a good thing when it comes to mounting disc brakes as there are few hubs in 130 spacing made for discs (Ritchey makes or made one, but they are very hard to find). Therefore, no matter what brakes you go with, you'll need a special wheelset,, not just your standard road wheels.

One other minor issue. If you are swapping from flat-bars to drops (i.e., if you bought a complete-bike Corrida model and wanted to install drops), the front derailleur for Shimano's flat-bar road shifters is different from a standard road FD. We do use road lever compatible brakes on all our production Corridas so that a swap to drops will be possible there without changing brakes, but there is no getting around the FD issue.

Best regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles