RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

question on shoes/pedals

Went into my LBS to buy some shoes and pedals last week.
    The guy fitting me (had my bike in for a fit as well) didn't like the way my knees were lining up with the shoe/pedal combo while I was on my bike on a trainer. His rational being that my knees were pointing inward and he wanted to space my feet out a little more?

He added some shims to the cleats and then added what looks to be spacers to the pedals (see pic ).
    Is this common? Does it compromise the strength/structural integrity of the pedal/crank connection?
    question on shoes/pedals-image-copy.jpeg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Every fit system has its theories and practices. No "one" system is totally correct.

Regarding your pedals: if you weren't experiencing knee pain, I wouldn't have bothered with the pedal extenders.

Will the extenders damage anything? As long as they have complete engagement in the crankarm and the pedal has full engagement in the extender, I wouldn't worry, even though there's extra leverage on the crankarm.

Try to watch a bike racing video and observe the knee position of various riders. Then if possible, get on a trainer or rollers and watch yourself in a mirror to see if your knees do anything excessively weird.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Thanks Peter.
    To the guy's credit - I did feel some discomfort to the inside of my knee prior to the extenders being put in.
    I went for a 50km ride the day after purchasing the pedals/extenders/shoes and everything felt great.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    a small shim is fine, because you have plenty of thread engagement between the pedal and crank arm.

If the shimming of the pedal compromises the thread engagement too much, some pedals have longer spindles that can be swapped on to.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Uphill70 View Post
    To the guy's credit - I did feel some discomfort to the inside of my knee prior to the extenders being put in.
    I went for a 50km ride the day after purchasing the pedals/extenders/shoes and everything felt great.
    To refer to an old '60s expression and to amplify what others have said: "If it feels good, do it." Sounds like the extenders (or pedals with longer axles) are right for you.