Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13

    Questions/Opinions about performance eyewear! (oakley!!!)

    As I'm not a professional cyclist (just do some training when i was teenage), i would like to know more about the opinion of professional cyclist!

    I'm a Product design student in London, now i'm doing performance eyewear research! can anyone give me some opinions or eyewear improvement that could be improve??


    here is some questions im particular interest in!



    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?


    Do you wear sunglasses while partaking in events?


    What is your primary reason for doing so and are there any other reasons?


    Would you wear your event glasses for training? Also, would you wear them in everyday life?


    What made you choose your particular make & model of sportswear glasses? (Consider the balance between technical proficiency and cycling fashions).


    Have you ever experienced any problems with your current glasses? Perhaps add reasons why, if any, this made you lose valuable seconds or required unnecessary concentration


    Have you ever changed the lenses in your glasses due to wear and tear or due to differentiation in polarization needed? If not have you ever considered it? If so why?


    Do you think there's any psychological benefit to wearing glasses which are likely to intimidate? i.e, glasses with sharp edges, reflective lenses, perhaps garish or darker colours.


    Do you have any particular cycling rituals or superstitious actions you perform during or before racing? (one thinks of the tour de France rider who always took his water bottle out of its frame holster and into his jersey whenever climbing although this had no particular benefit)


    Do you know of any aspects of the sunglasses you've come across that are lacking and could be improved on?


    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your glasses to have?

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    That will be lovely if anyone can help me! cause i did sent out lots of email to pro cyclist, but none of them reply me hope you will be free to discuz with me



    p.s. it's more about the cycling! what do u think of road cycling and track cycling.

    Like Criterium, circuit race, road race or time trial. do you think there are different requirement and equipment need???

    and is there anyone use this kind of helmet before?



    i saw people use it in time trial and track only, why
    Last edited by Adroit Mak; 02-12-2012 at 05:07 AM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,502
    I won't answer all your questions but I might have some useful information.

    I first started wearing Oakleys in the mid-eighties in the day of the Factory Pilot and the Blade.

    I stopped wearing glasses for a couple reasons.

    When I sweat, it drips onto my lenses and reduces vision to crap. I've even tried items such as the "sweat gutters" and Sweat-Vac cycling beanies, but they only hold so much sweat then the surplus drips onto my glasses.

    I wore Oakleys such as the Blade and M-frame where the lens attaches to a frame above your eyebrow. My problem is, when cycling in the drops, that frame above the eyes obscures part of my vision down the road even as I tilt my head back from riding in the drops. It was annoying. I know some glasses are frameless, but I was too cheap to try them and besides, they wouldn't solve the sweating issue.

    Solve those 2 issues and I'd buy your product!

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JackDaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    430
    Sorry if it sounds jaded but it's almost all marketing mixed with a little luck. There's little or no design engineering in cycling eye wear. But if you hit it big, you get an absolutely massive markup on your product.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Ventruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,411
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?
    Road

    Do you wear sunglasses while partaking in events?
    Yes

    What is your primary reason for doing so and are there any other reasons?
    Eye protection and general UV protection; also wear contacts so the wind surely needs to be blocked off

    Would you wear your event glasses for training? Also, would you wear them in everyday life?
    Since I'm a failure of a racer, my expensive pairs are worn almost every day on the bike unless it's foul weather. I wear my backup, cheaper glasses in that case, Said cheaper pair is used in everyday life since they don't look too radical.

    What made you choose your particular make & model of sportswear glasses? (Consider the balance between technical proficiency and cycling fashions).
    My Rudy Hypermasks were chosen for the sake of having something that was "up there". The functional side of the Hypermasks was also a huge plus. Really light on the face and unbeatable coverage+visibility. Imo they look cool also.

    My other backup pairs of glasses are Tifosi's (Logic and Dolomite). The Logic serves it's general purpose but I got it particularly for the aesthetics. The Dolomite was purchased for the sake of being flexible as casual wear and coming at a discounted price. Has interchangeable lenses too for the case of low-light rides.


    Have you ever experienced any problems with your current glasses? Perhaps add reasons why, if any, this made you lose valuable seconds or required unnecessary concentration

    With my narrow face and nose, my Tifosi Dolomite sometimes slips down, but only when the ride gets rough. As it is, it's resting on cheekbones and not my nose. Did keep me from out of saddle efforts because you can't take your hands off the bars to scoot up the glasses until you sat back down. Not the biggest deal as this doesn't happen often and it's not my primary cycling eyewear.


    Have you ever changed the lenses in your glasses due to wear and tear or due to differentiation in polarization needed? If not have you ever considered it? If so why?

    Nope. Despite me purchasing the Dolomite for it's interchangeable lenses, I'm too lazy to actually swap them out. Haven't found myself on a dark ride as of late anyway.

    Do you think there's any psychological benefit to wearing glasses which are likely to intimidate? i.e, glasses with sharp edges, reflective lenses, perhaps garish or darker colours.

    Not really. There is that given conscious for aesthetics. People just want to look good in their own view, but I don't think they try to correlate it with ride performance. The heat of a race will totally make a rider quit giving a **** about how they look in the moment.


    Do you have any particular cycling rituals or superstitious actions you perform during or before racing? (one thinks of the tour de France rider who always took his water bottle out of its frame holster and into his jersey whenever climbing although this had no particular benefit)

    Sometimes I unzip my jersey more because I think my lungs are constricted at some point of the ride. But I have asthma, so I get overly-conscious about such stuff.


    Do you know of any aspects of the sunglasses you've come across that are lacking and could be improved on?

    My Hypermasks should've come with adjustable temples. But as a whole, I don't know what the cycling eyewear industry hasn't addressed. I'm confident everyone can find the right pair for their needs and selves

    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your triathlon glasses to have?

    Adjustable fit. I mean being glasses they already have to offer a reasonable degree of visibility and coverage.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13


    Actually when the moment i was joining the teenage cyclist training, I got a pair of oakley called racing jacket.

    The nose pad and steam with grip (rubber like material) is kinda weird, i was keep washing it, but it stick more dust on it!!!

    and now i know im doing research with the brand, they say they create that material called “Unobtainium®” that was engineered to become sticky when wet!!! how amazing!!

  6. #6
    Just Plain Bitter
    Reputation: rward325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    Same thing I posted in the earlier Cheap Sunglasses thread.

    I only get one set of eyes. I have watched my mother go blind over the last 10 years from macular degeneration. I'll pay the extra bucks to protect my eyes with quality optics thank you.

    I have a problem with sunglasses like some people have a problem with shoes or bikes and I own many pairs from many manufacturer. In many cases they are like tools to me. The right one fro the right job. Like said though, you only have one pair of eyes so protect them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

    2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jmitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325 View Post
    Same thing I posted in the earlier Cheap Sunglasses thread.

    I only get one set of eyes. I have watched my mother go blind over the last 10 years from macular degeneration. I'll pay the extra bucks to protect my eyes with quality optics thank you.

    I have a problem with sunglasses like some people have a problem with shoes or bikes and I own many pairs from many manufacturer. In many cases they are like tools to me. The right one fro the right job. Like said though, you only have one pair of eyes so protect them.
    well said.
    I use eyewear on every ride whether it's day or night. Protects my eyes from sun, dirt, grit, debris, and wind.
    I really like the Oakley Radar frame; also use the M frame. Have used Tifosi glasses as well.

  8. #8
    Winner!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    296
    I wear M-frames cuz i get them free (not sponsored, in the military)
    So comfortable i for get I'm wearing them.
    If I could change anything it would be:

    FOG RESISTANCE!!!
    Out here in sunny san diego, its hot for the most part, but theres mountains so after a very long climb it gets quite cool and humid which creates fog. THEN after the decent you're cold, so once you get down, guess what? FOG.

    Ive tried the McNett "op drops" (anti fog lens cleaner), this works, but only for a short time, you have to apply everyday if you love mountains, its like it wears off.

    again, i have only used the free stuff (ess ice, and oakley m-frames) so i don't have much more to compare them to but if i were shopping id look for extreme fog resistance.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?
    Road
    ...........................
    ...........................

    Adjustable fit. I mean being glasses they already have to offer a reasonable degree of visibility and coverage.





    Thank you so much for your reply!!!!!!
    that's is nice!!!! i got much more information.
    (cause my first language is not english, those previous interviews are all speaking, even i record those interview, i couldnt understand all of them)

  10. #10
    Hanging 10 bra
    Reputation: scottzj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,125
    I used Oakley's in the 80's skating and surfing but I have sense went towards the Rudy Project line. It could be due to my race team getting sponsored by them and we get discount prices.
    I bought the first part Genetyk models. They were great fit with great lenses, but I found out later they really dont work as well as I thought with cycling. I get a tad too much wind onto my eyes. This is very important eps when racing. So, I bought a pair of the Rudy SportMasks. These, in my opinion are perfect for cyclings, esp racing. They are form fitting around your face, large enough to block the wind and sun. They are also extremely light weight, as they dont really have a frame, just ends.

  11. #11
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Mak View Post

    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?

    Road/Mountain

    Do you wear sunglasses while partaking in events?

    Every time I ride, no matter what

    What is your primary reason for doing so and are there any other reasons?

    Primary reason is to protect my eyes... from anything. UV when it's sunny out or from flying debris such as rocks, bugs, rain, tree limbs, etc. I also wear contacts, so it keeps the wind out of my eyes

    Would you wear your event glasses for training? Also, would you wear them in everyday life?

    I wear them anytime I'm on the bike. I have Flak Jackets for sports stuff and other Oakleys for everyday wear. Also have a few pairs of their goggles for snowboarding

    What made you choose your particular make & model of sportswear glasses? (Consider the balance between technical proficiency and cycling fashions).

    I like the Oakley brand in general. Started with their glasses, but I have tons of other apparel, shoes, accessories, etc. Designs are awesome, the engineering that goes into their products is amazing. Plus their glasses are always functional and protective.
    Have you ever experienced any problems with your current glasses? Perhaps add reasons why, if any, this made you lose valuable seconds or required unnecessary concentration

    Sweat dripping on lenses. Oakley's hydrophobic coating helps a lot with this, but they stopped pre-applying it on the lenses, and I find the pen they give you to apply doesn't work as well.

    Have you ever changed the lenses in your glasses due to wear and tear or due to differentiation in polarization needed? If not have you ever considered it? If so why?

    Yes, I've scratched a few lenses, but also change them out due to different light conditions. I have two lenses for my flak jackets (need more) and goggles with different lenses as well

    Do you think there's any psychological benefit to wearing glasses which are likely to intimidate? i.e, glasses with sharp edges, reflective lenses, perhaps garish or darker colours.

    Nah, not trying to scare anyone haha.


    Do you know of any aspects of the sunglasses you've come across that are lacking and could be improved on?

    The glasses I have let a bit too much air in, which makes my contacts start to dry up. I'd like to try Jawbones with the bigger lenses to see if they help this issue.
    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your triathlon glasses to have?

    Great UV/glare blocking as well as physical protection for my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpimpo View Post
    I wear M-frames cuz i get them free (not sponsored, in the military)
    So comfortable i for get I'm wearing them.
    If I could change anything it would be:

    FOG RESISTANCE!!!
    Out here in sunny san diego, its hot for the most part, but theres mountains so after a very long climb it gets quite cool and humid which creates fog. THEN after the decent you're cold, so once you get down, guess what? FOG.

    Ive tried the McNett "op drops" (anti fog lens cleaner), this works, but only for a short time, you have to apply everyday if you love mountains, its like it wears off.

    again, i have only used the free stuff (ess ice, and oakley m-frames) so i don't have much more to compare them to but if i were shopping id look for extreme fog resistance.
    Try the new Radar's, they are an updated M-frame and they have vented lenses that may help. Plus you can still get them cheap on Oakley's standard issue website.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    421
    I wear sun glasses every time I ride. Even if it's not a sunny day I wear them because it keeps the wind out of your eyes. Also, if you've ever been hit by a bee while going 20 mph, you'll appreciate the protection. I wear relatively cheap wrap-around glasses made by Maxx. Thirty-bucks, I think they were.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    thanks Dale! that's lovely!!!! i couldn't pm you cause i dont have enough post :P

    thank you so much !!!!! have a nice weekend~!

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    I wear glasses for every ride. My main reason is protection of my eyes. I have been smacked on the cheek by a pebble. That would not be very much fun in my eye.

    I wear Oakley Fast Jackets.

  15. #15
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,110
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?
    Road

    Do you wear sunglasses while partaking in events?
    Yes

    What is your primary reason for doing so and are there any other reasons?
    Physical protection from the elements, eg., wind, dust, UV, etc.

    Would you wear your event glasses for training? Also, would you wear them in everyday life?
    If I'm on a bicycle there are glasses covering my eyes. Always. I wear them for daily wear as well because I buy styles that don't make you look too much like George Jetson or an alien from Saturn. Sometimes I think people who design glasses go out of their way to make them look as ugly as possible. Strange.

    What made you choose your particular make & model of sportswear glasses? (Consider the balance between technical proficiency and cycling fashions).
    I almost always by my cycling glasses from Performance for a couple of reasons. Cost is one of the most important reasons. If the physical protection, UV protection, and shatter resistance is the same I'm not likely to pay extra for the privilege of wearing a certain name brand. Some cite superior optics as a reason for buying the high priced brands. My eyes aren't as good as Zeiss or Nikon lenses. I honestly can't see the difference.

    Have you ever experienced any problems with your current glasses? Perhaps add reasons why, if any, this made you lose valuable seconds or required unnecessary concentration
    The chief problems I've had are with scratches. I ride a lot all year 'round & at the end of a year the lenses are usually ready to be replaced. Over the years I've experienced broken earpieces always at the joint where the ear pieces are hinged to the frames. This hasn't been common, but it's happened.
    Have you ever changed the lenses in your glasses due to wear and tear or due to differentiation in polarization needed? If not have you ever considered it? If so why?
    Wear & tear, yes. I don't like to wear polarized lenses because it blocks out the readings from my computer, and heart rate monitor.

    Do you think there's any psychological benefit to wearing glasses which are likely to intimidate? i.e, glasses with sharp edges, reflective lenses, perhaps garish or darker colours.
    LMAO!! I leave intimidation up to the cops & their mirrored glasses. As I said in an earlier post, IMO glasses that look like that are just silly. To me they don't look intimidating, they just look ugly.

    Do you have any particular cycling rituals or superstitious actions you perform during or before racing? (one thinks of the tour de France rider who always took his water bottle out of its frame holster and into his jersey whenever climbing although this had no particular benefit)
    I quit racing decades ago. I used to meditate before events to calm my nerves & to center my thoughts. I did some creative visualization which I found quite affirming.

    Do you know of any aspects of the sunglasses you've come across that are lacking and could be improved on?
    I wish that scratch resistance coatings could be significantly improved. I'd also like lenses to be easier to change. Some glasses I've had the lenses were so hard to change that I could have installed a new headset faster than I could change lenses. I like the kind where you can hold the frames in one hand, the lenses in the other hand, then toss both of them into the air & have them perfectly installed when they come down.

    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your triathlon glasses to have?
    I'm not sure where the word "triathlon" came from all of a sudden, but the Performance brand glasses I wear have all the important characteristics I want. They're comfortable, they protect as well as anything else, they're versatile, which is important with a name like mine, they look good (IMO) and they're inexpensive. They're not perfect and I've noted the imperfections above.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?
    Road

    .......

    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your triathlon glasses to have?
    I'm not sure where the word "triathlon" came from all of a sudden, but the Performance brand glasses I wear have all the important characteristics I want. They're comfortable, they protect as well as anything else, they're versatile, which is important with a name like mine, they look good (IMO) and they're inexpensive. They're not perfect and I've noted the imperfections above.
    Thank you for your answer!!!!! that's soooooo lovely~!

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    674
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?
    Road only, I commute, train and do century rides.

    Do you wear sunglasses while partaking in events?
    Always, for almost all sports (I also row and sail). I have clear lenses for cloudy days and smoked lenses for sunny.

    What is your primary reason for doing so and are there any other reasons?
    Protection. I also have sensitive eyes that dry out easily, yet I need to wear contacts.

    Would you wear your event glasses for training? Also, would you wear them in everyday life?
    Yes. I have a pair of Oakley Radars, when I haven't lost my other, casual pair, they are not so weird that I feel awkward using them.

    What made you choose your particular make & model of sportswear glasses? (Consider the balance between technical proficiency and cycling fashions).
    Have used Oakleys before. Their clarity is very good. They are very, very light and comfortable. When I am on the drops the frame is still out of the way. They look good and sporty without making me look like I'm Terry Try-Hard. Plus Oakley used an ad where they shot gunned a pair of their lenses. Marketing hyperbole, I know, but that ad resonated.

    Have you ever experienced any problems with your current glasses? Perhaps add reasons why, if any, this made you lose valuable seconds or required unnecessary concentration
    Radars are pretty difficult to change the lenses. Jawbones are easier but they look like they belong on a B-grade sci-fi movie..

    Have you ever changed the lenses in your glasses due to wear and tear or due to differentiation in polarization needed? If not have you ever considered it? If so why?
    See above: clear for cloud and winter commute, smoke for clearer days. I once had a pair of red iridiums that scratched easily, plus it was difficult to see in shady conditions. I like the smoke lens because it reduces sun but not so much that I cannot use them if it clouds over. And I am not convinced that yellow lens are better than clear ones in low light conditions; they let less light in!

    Do you think there's any psychological benefit to wearing glasses which are likely to intimidate? i.e, glasses with sharp edges, reflective lenses, perhaps garish or darker colours.
    I would like to have Robocop's glasses and helmet combo. Just kidding. I used to take note of what glasses people wore, but I was young and stupid and one day noticed that wearing stupid glasses had no relation to whether they were good. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now I don't care.

    Do you have any particular cycling rituals or superstitious actions you perform during or before racing? (one thinks of the tour de France rider who always took his water bottle out of its frame holster and into his jersey whenever climbing although this had no particular benefit)
    Not really.

    Do you know of any aspects of the sunglasses you've come across that are lacking and could be improved on?
    The lens swapping on the Radars could be much, much better. The M Frame is by far the best for this (and arguably a better looking, classic frame).

    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your glasses to have?
    A Heads-Up Display. What were Oakley thinking when they put cheap-ass headphones in their frames? The only reason these won't happen is because they'll make contact lenses with a micro emitter that beams the HUD directly onto your retina. Very terminator!

  18. #18
    Pitts Pilot
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    430
    I never wear eye protection. For 75% of my ride, I'm going uphill very slowly. In this situation, I mostly don't need protection. It's often dark anyway, so don't need sun protection. Plus, I'm usually sweating profusely, so the glasses are problematic. I tried putting them in my jersey pocket, but they just get sweaty there as well. I'd like to wear glassess for the descent. Maybe it would be solved for me if someone could come up with a good system for holding the glasses while I climb - a clip on the helmet or bike or something. I know most people stick them in their helmet, but mine never seem to fit right. I also have a problem getting glasses to fit well around the helmet straps and uder the helmet comfortably. Perhaps glasses specicfically designed to work with a given helmet. HEY - maybe a helmet with a flip down visor!

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy748 View Post
    What kind of particular cycling you are doing? Road cycling? track?
    Road only, I commute, train and do century rides.

    Do you wear sunglasses while partaking in events?
    Always, for almost all sports (I also row and sail). I have clear lenses for cloudy days and smoked lenses for sunny.

    What is your primary reason for doing so and are there any other reasons?
    Protection. I also have sensitive eyes that dry out easily, yet I need to wear contacts.

    Would you wear your event glasses for training? Also, would you wear them in everyday life?
    Yes. I have a pair of Oakley Radars, when I haven't lost my other, casual pair, they are not so weird that I feel awkward using them.

    What made you choose your particular make & model of sportswear glasses? (Consider the balance between technical proficiency and cycling fashions).
    Have used Oakleys before. Their clarity is very good. They are very, very light and comfortable. When I am on the drops the frame is still out of the way. They look good and sporty without making me look like I'm Terry Try-Hard. Plus Oakley used an ad where they shot gunned a pair of their lenses. Marketing hyperbole, I know, but that ad resonated.

    Have you ever experienced any problems with your current glasses? Perhaps add reasons why, if any, this made you lose valuable seconds or required unnecessary concentration
    Radars are pretty difficult to change the lenses. Jawbones are easier but they look like they belong on a B-grade sci-fi movie..

    Have you ever changed the lenses in your glasses due to wear and tear or due to differentiation in polarization needed? If not have you ever considered it? If so why?
    See above: clear for cloud and winter commute, smoke for clearer days. I once had a pair of red iridiums that scratched easily, plus it was difficult to see in shady conditions. I like the smoke lens because it reduces sun but not so much that I cannot use them if it clouds over. And I am not convinced that yellow lens are better than clear ones in low light conditions; they let less light in!

    Do you think there's any psychological benefit to wearing glasses which are likely to intimidate? i.e, glasses with sharp edges, reflective lenses, perhaps garish or darker colours.
    I would like to have Robocop's glasses and helmet combo. Just kidding. I used to take note of what glasses people wore, but I was young and stupid and one day noticed that wearing stupid glasses had no relation to whether they were good. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now I don't care.

    Do you have any particular cycling rituals or superstitious actions you perform during or before racing? (one thinks of the tour de France rider who always took his water bottle out of its frame holster and into his jersey whenever climbing although this had no particular benefit)
    Not really.

    Do you know of any aspects of the sunglasses you've come across that are lacking and could be improved on?
    The lens swapping on the Radars could be much, much better. The M Frame is by far the best for this (and arguably a better looking, classic frame).

    Finally, As you see it, what is the most important aspect/characteristic you want your glasses to have?
    A Heads-Up Display. What were Oakley thinking when they put cheap-ass headphones in their frames? The only reason these won't happen is because they'll make contact lenses with a micro emitter that beams the HUD directly onto your retina. Very terminator!
    thank you so much for ur answer!!! it does help a lot )))))

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpimpo View Post
    I wear M-frames cuz i get them free (not sponsored, in the military)
    So comfortable i for get I'm wearing them.
    If I could change anything it would be:

    FOG RESISTANCE!!!
    Out here in sunny san diego, its hot for the most part, but theres mountains so after a very long climb it gets quite cool and humid which creates fog. THEN after the decent you're cold, so once you get down, guess what? FOG.

    Ive tried the McNett "op drops" (anti fog lens cleaner), this works, but only for a short time, you have to apply everyday if you love mountains, its like it wears off.

    again, i have only used the free stuff (ess ice, and oakley m-frames) so i don't have much more to compare them to but if i were shopping id look for extreme fog resistance.
    If you can develop a fog proof lens you will be rich! That is my main complaint is that all glasses I have used fog up.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    Recon Instruments MOD Live Heads-up-display available now

    Oakley, Scott and others have just released their HUD (Heads-up-display) glasses using the Recon's MOD Live system, includes Contour's GPS and much more. Displays a 14" screen 5ft away. Features include Speed, Altitude, Navigation, Buddy Tracking, Smart Phone Connectivity (using Bluetooth LTE). You can view incoming text messages as well .
    Does not record any information, only displays it, but this is most certainly the future of bike computers.
    It's not ANT+ compatible yet only LTE, but one could use a Smartphone to work around that for now .

    reconinstruments.com/products/snow-heads-up-display

    Not affiliated to Recon Instruments, just an avid cyclist come techno geek working in a bike shop in Cape Town , SA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook