RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Quick release through-axle skewers. Who makes 'em?

I know Shimano makes them, but I can't seem to find the rear skewer anywhere. I'm talking about the through axle skewers that are tightened by a cam mechanism.

Who else makes them? And where to buy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    what do you want, a thru axle or a skewer??

RoadBikeReview Member
    thought they are more of a proprietary system?

Some are a simple screw. Others are screw-on then cam tightened. But on my Suntour MTB fork, it is a slide-in cam tightening system, with no threads at all - the fastest way to do it, albeit completely incompatible with any other brand of thru axle.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Paragon Machine Works sells many. But it depends on exactly what you need WRT axle length, threading, and cam system (Maxle, E-Thru, bolt head, or DT Swiss)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Paragon Machine Works sells many. But it depends on exactly what you need WRT axle length, threading, and cam system (Maxle, E-Thru, bolt head, or DT Swiss)
    Screw-in then cam-tightened.

Standard through axle length for road bike (12x100 front, 12x142 rear).

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Screw-in then cam-tightened.

Standard through axle length for road bike (12x100 front, 12x142 rear).
    Try again: All About Thru Axles - Fairwheel Bikes Blog TL ; DR, as 12x100 or 12x142 TA does not actually measure 100 or 142mm

The one legit gripe about TA...bike manufacturers screwed it up, by trying to make all their axles unique and specific to their frames. Most of these spacings can be had via QBP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I know Shimano makes them, but I can't seem to find the rear skewer anywhere. I'm talking about the through axle skewers that are tightened by a cam mechanism.

Who else makes them? And where to buy?
    They come with the frame and fork.

As written earlier, there are different thread pitches, etc. The threaded female part is integrated into the frame/fork.

The thru axle must be compatible with a plurality of different aspects of the frame/fork.

You don't just buy a thru axle b/c you like its design. Like bottom brackets. You don't just buy one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    They come with the frame and fork.

As written earlier, there are different thread pitches, etc. The threaded female part is integrated into the frame/fork.

The thru axle must be compatible with a plurality of different aspects of the frame/fork.

You don't just buy a thru axle b/c you like its design. Like bottom brackets. You don't just buy one.
    The Shimano through axle screws into my fork nicely. No issues there. The DT Swiss axle it came with is an absolute piece of s**t (as is the entire through axle design). There's no cam. You just screw it down to tighten it. Screwing the skewer in to tighten it down is just plain idiotic. How idiotic? As idiotic as it was before quick release, when bicycle wheels were held in place by bolts that could come loose. Except with the through axle system, there's no nut ito screw the bolt into. Then nut is integratd into the dropout. Yeah, that's a real intelligent design! Damage the threads and you're buying yourself a new fork (or frame).

Before I purchased my T1SL disc, the very first question I asked Litespeed about it was where the through rear through-axle screws in (i.e. into the derailleur hanger or into the dropout). Litespeed was smart enough to make it screw into the derailleur hanger, which is replaceable.

Anyway.... getting off my soapbox.... I'm at least happy to have something in there like the Shimano cam-tightened axle that restores some of the security of quick release fasteners.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    well as much as im not the biggest fan of TA and don't like the DT design either, I have it on my FS mtb and it has never, ever even thought of coming undone.

But also, since you hate TA so much, maybe buy a seven or firefly where you could have speced a QR instead of a litespeed with a TA...
    All the gear and no idea

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The Shimano through axle screws into my fork nicely. No issues there. The DT Swiss axle it came with is an absolute piece of s**t (as is the entire through axle design). There's no cam. You just screw it down to tighten it. Screwing the skewer in to tighten it down is just plain idiotic. How idiotic? As idiotic as it was before quick release, when bicycle wheels were held in place by bolts that could come loose. Except with the through axle system, there's no nut ito screw the bolt into. Then nut is integratd into the dropout. Yeah, that's a real intelligent design! Damage the threads and you're buying yourself a new fork (or frame).

Before I purchased my T1SL disc, the very first question I asked Litespeed about it was where the through rear through-axle screws in (i.e. into the derailleur hanger or into the dropout). Litespeed was smart enough to make it screw into the derailleur hanger, which is replaceable.

Anyway.... getting off my soapbox.... I'm at least happy to have something in there like the Shimano cam-tightened axle that restores some of the security of quick release fasteners.
    Talk about eggs before they hatch...you don't even know if Shimano axles will work on your frame...and you clearly don't know how they're designed or work.

Sure. Go spend money. Then come back here and kvetch some more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Talk about eggs before they hatch...you don't even know if Shimano axles will work on your frame...and you clearly don't know how they're designed or work.

Sure. Go spend money. Then come back here and kvetch some more.
    I know how they're designed to work. I asked my original question because I couldn't find a rear one from Shimano. (I could find the product, but no one seemed to have it in stock).