RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

Rain jacket survey

I haven't bought a rain jacket in over a decade and I need to get one. My current jacket is meant for commuting in sustained downpours and rather bulky. No way it fits in a jersey pocket; it's one you don in the house when you are heading out for a day in the rain. Nice but I'm looking for something that can compress into a jersey pocket when caught out in a shower.

I tend to buy jackets that fit very loosely but they flap around a lot, obviously. My question:

Do you own more than one rain jacket; for example, one compact-able for just-in-case carry and one for commuting in heavier rain?

Do you have separate rain jackets for summer and fall/winter, one that fits snugly with just a jersey and the other for use over layers?

How snugly should it fit?

If you have a favorite brand/model please share it. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Snugly.

I have a Gore Fusion GT AS which I reviewed here, that I use as my multi-purpose rain jacket. It has plenty of room for layers underneath, and when I know I'll be riding in the rain and need layering, it is my jacket of choice. For warmer weather, when I don't need layering, or if I need a jacket to throw in a jersey pocket, I just picked up a Gore Oxygen jacket, which I reviewed here. Those reviews provide some pretty detailed thoughts on the jackets.

I prefer snug fit to avoid the flapping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3.Kind of snug. My touring heavy rain jacket is more loose fitting.
    I have 2 Craft rain jackets and have been very happy with them.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Assos sJ.climaschutz.

Assos is the only company I know that make their jackets snug enough and with long enough arms for me.
    That said I'm a freak. All arms and legs, preferred jeans size 31/34, 183cm tall and 197(!) cm between fingertips.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's the one I like best:
    Original Cycling Jacket | O2 Rainwear

Cheap, very light and packable, waterproof and more breathable than any other waterproof material. It's only drawback is that it's not very durable. But they're so cheap I don't mind replacing it after a few years if it gets torn up. I use it for commuting. It handles the heavy downpours, and is light and compact enough to stuff in a jersey pocket. Much lighter and less bulky than Gore-Tex and the like. Might suit your needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    No
    No
    Loosely

IME, a rain jacket that is waterproof is not breathable enough to keep up with perspiration - IOW I get wet with sweat instead of rain.

So, I just go with a water "resistant" jacket that is primarily a wind barrier, and it does double duty as cold weather gear under which I wear insulating layers. So, it is loose fitting.

If it is warm enough, I don't bother with a jacket and just get wet.

------------------------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    No, No, kind of snug but with enough room for a couple of layers underneath.

I really like the PI Barrier series. Work very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    No
    No
    Loosely

IME, a rain jacket that is waterproof is not breathable enough to keep up with perspiration - IOW I get wet with sweat instead of rain.

So, I just go with a water "resistant" jacket that is primarily a wind barrier, and it does double duty as cold weather gear under which I wear insulating layers. So, it is loose fitting.

If it is warm enough, I don't bother with a jacket and just get wet.
    ------------------------------
    ^^^

But even wearing as wind jacket I HATE having any garment loose enough to flap in the breeze.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the feedback

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    This is the best, cheap, rain jacket I've used. Well ventilated and no worries about messing up a $25 jacket. I've been using mine year round, except when it just better to get wet due to warm weather, for 3 years.
    http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/pr...N_IMPER_JACKET

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you go with a hybrid type jersey or jacket then you don't have to worry if it rains. I like stretchy softshell type wet weather jackets and jerseys that fit snugly. Endura and Castelli have got some of my money. The Castelli Gabba jersey line is good stuff, I have the long and short sleeve versions. The Castelli Gabba is good between spring and fall when you don't know what the weather will be. The Endura is great when you know it will be really wet and cool; the arm pit and chest vent zips allow you to adjust your temp. This stuff isn't cheap but life is short so when you end up riding in the rain why not enjoy it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmess View Post
    . Endura .... have got some of my money. .
    I've read good reviews about this brand but no LBS near me carries it. I'd rather try it on in person than play the back and forth game online if it doesn't fit well.

There's so much "data"on the web that it becomes impossible! With Gore and Showers Pass, so many people love or hate the stuff that's it's tough to make an informed choice based on reviews, particularly if you have to purchase over the web.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes

No (layering system)

Slim/Snug fit, room enough for a base-layer OR a thicker jersey, but that's it...

Gore Oxygen GT, backup spare jacket is a Castelli Leggero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
    1. Yes.

I have a Gore Fusion GT AS which I reviewed here, that I use as my multi-purpose rain jacket. It has plenty of room for layers underneath, and when I know I'll be riding in the rain and need layering, it is my jacket of choice. For warmer weather, when I don't need layering, or if I need a jacket to throw in a jersey pocket, I just picked up a Gore Oxygen jacket, which I reviewed here.
    Your reviews were helpful and motivated me to go to the LBS and try on a bunch of Gore items. Strangely, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the sizing from one item to the next.

Tried on one soft shell in large ( I have a 43.5 in chest) and could barely get it zipped. XL in the same item had sleeves that extended 6 inches past my fingertips BUT I could not raise my arms because it was so tight across the shoulders. XXL in a vest was gigantic, but XL could not be zipped up. Very odd and disappointing because they look well-made but the sizing isn't for me.

Anyone here have the Pear Izumi wind stopper garments? Are you happy with them? How about PI rain jacket (dealer didn't have anything for rain).?

At least the PI stuff fits me in XL so, if I have to, I can order online with confidence.

Thanks again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Strangely, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the sizing from one item to the next.
    This is true of EVERYTHING related to bicycles except metric threads.

Anyone here have the Pear Izumi wind stopper garments? Are you happy with them? How about PI rain jacket (dealer didn't have anything for rain).?

At least the PI stuff fits me in XL so, if I have to, I can order online with confidence.

Thanks again
    The PI stuff is good. Not up to a drenching N'easter (is anything?) but good.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Gore Bike Wear Fusion. Very thin, warm and packable.

I always layer underneath during the winter.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

chamois creme addict
    Depends how much time you spend riding it the rain. I live in a wet climate so having a good breathable rain jacket is essential. I have an older Descente "Bobby J" rain jacket that was made for use by Team CSC, also was sold for a couple of years before Descente bit the dust. It is a nice snug fit and constructed with eVent fabric which is a waterproof breathable. Overall it is good rain jacket. Other cycling companies use eVent, namely Hincapie, Bontrager and Castelli I believe. This stuff is not cheap, the jackets can run up to $300.

I also have a Sugoi Hydrolite jacket that is a waterproof breathable. The sleeves in the forearm area are huge, I ended up cutting them off to make a rain vest after I got the Descente jacket.

The comment about Gore products having random fits is spot-on. They have different cuts from product line to product line, but even then I have bought items from the fit category and found the sizing varies quite a bit. For example a Xenon WS jacket and an Oxygen LS jersey, both in the "Tight Fit" category and the size L are very different in fit. I have kind of given up on trying to buy Gore stuff online because of this. Try before buy definitely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Capo, $20, It is sized accordingly. If you want it tighter buy smaller, if you want it loose buy bigger. Would I race in one, no. Would I commute yes.

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Do you own more than one rain jacket; for example, one compact-able for just-in-case carry and one for commuting in heavier rain?
    Yes- a jersey-pocket one, a full-on downpour one and a racing one. I used to have more...

Do you have separate rain jackets for summer and fall/winter, one that fits snugly with just a jersey and the other for use over layers?
    Sort of- the jersey pocket one is only for spring/summer/fall.

How snugly should it fit?
    Depends a bit on what you're doing- if racing, snug as possible. If commuting, it should be a tad more loose, but still not flapping- NEVER that loose.
    If you have a favorite brand/model please share it. Thanks
    Endura Flyte is my go-to heavy downpour jacket. Castelli Sotille is my favorite jersey-pocket one. (I also have a Castelli Leggero, but it's really just a wind jacket)
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Got the PI Pro Aero Jacket and its pretty sweet. Super thin and packable yet blocks wind pretty well. Will still need something long sleeved (jersey v baselayer) lower 40s. but felt great with just sleeveless craft baselayer and short sleeve jersey in lower 50s. Wasnt cold at all. best part its fitted so no flapping in the wind.

Amazon.com: Pearl iZUMi Men's P.R.O. Aero Jacket: Clothing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
    1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Snugly.

I have a Gore Fusion GT AS which I reviewed here, that I use as my multi-purpose rain jacket. It has plenty of room for layers underneath, and when I know I'll be riding in the rain and need layering, it is my jacket of choice.
    I have the same jacket. I have found it works really well in cold Wisconsin winters too.