Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterproof*

RBR needs an electric bike forum

Starting with this beauty right here:

Liberator
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Darling of The Lounge
    Solar 'bent

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

I respectfully disagree

PhotonFreak

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Nah, discuss it here. Some folks who'd never sink to visiting a e-bike forum might learn something :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Is it an electric motor? Then shouldn't it be on some motorbike forum? Serious question - a motor is a motor after all, no?

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Is it an electric motor? Then shouldn't it be on some motorbike forum? Serious question - a motor is a motor after all, no?
    Legally speaking in most US states, a bicycle which can be powered by a combination of pedal power and motor power, which produces no more than 1 horsepower (746 watts), and which does not permit motorized assistance above 24mph is legally a bicycle, not a motor vehicle.

Although where I live (Tucson, AZ) I've actually heard of cops ticketing dudes for operating a moped without license/registration after clocking them at 25mph with the motor still running on their homebrew motorized bicycles (AFAIK these cases were mostly gas powered, not electrics).
    Last edited by PhotonFreak; 11-27-2012 at 02:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I disagree as motors, whether electric or gas, change up a bicycle and make it something radically different. Roadbikereview has always been a representation of pedal power, not electric power. You are obviously very confused.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Hmmm. Really depends, IMO, on how much assist the motor provides. I can certainly see where someone who's getting on in years or has become disabled might benefit from something to help them up a hill. They might use 100% pedal power for 95% of a trip but need just a bit of extra help for the unavoidable 5% (pun intended). This particularly for much heavier city or cargo bikes.

I think I might prefer the upper limits on what is an e-bike vs scooter to be quite a bit lower though - maybe 200w and no assist beyond perhaps 9 mph. That's plenty enough to help those who need it. Someone who needs assist probably shouldn't be doing more than 9 mph anyway and what we don't need on cycle tracks/lanes/trails are inexperienced cyclists going 18 or 20 mph. Pedal power naturally limits people somewhat to their own handling ability and I don't think we want to mess with that too much. There is also a discouragement factor in someone who pedals themselves and is getting in shape having their doors blown off by a doofus on an e-bike going 20 mph.

Creaky, any chance you can edit your post and shrink the pic so those of us on smaller screens can read the posts without side scrolling. BTW, 158 views, you've already educated some folks :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not even a slippery slope - it's a cliff. If it's not 100% pedal power, with 2 wheels... find another forum.

Fecal indicator
    I have the same level of interest in electric bikes as I do in recumbents.

none.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Tough crowd.

PIITWhat?
    Looks like fun. I love the shifter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How's 'bout a HTFU forum and an ebike can be a sticky?
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteLoop View Post
    Hmmm. Really depends, IMO, on how much assist the motor provides. I can certainly see where someone who's getting on in years or has become disabled might benefit from something to help them up a hill. They might use 100% pedal power for 95% of a trip but need just a bit of extra help for the unavoidable 5% (pun intended). This particularly for much heavier city or cargo bikes.
    Actually, I kind of see this. I'm thinking of discussions I saw a while back about an electric assist that somehow meshed with the crank spindle, giving a limited mild assist when needed. I live in an area of a lot of hills, some of them very steep. To ride to my house, you have to navigate three very steep hills near my house and a long series of significant hills before that. I ride a 30X28 rear gear and it's a real grind, sometimes standing on those three steep ones. My wife can just barely, and not with a lot of enjoyment, ride to and from the house. She hates it and avoids it. She has a 30X32 low gear.

Don't tell her (or me) to HTFU because we're in our late 50s and we are what we are at this point. We both enjoy every other road we have regular access to, even though they are also hilly, just much more rideable. So 1% of the ride (the steep hills) makes it impossible for her to just go out to and from the house - she pretty much as to load up the bike and drive at least a couple of miles to get into rideable terrain.

So a tiny, "when needed" assist on an otherwise normal road bike would be a boon to her and many others I know around here. Worth discussing probably.

Creaky, any chance you can edit your post and shrink the pic so those of us on smaller screens can read the posts without side scrolling. BTW, 158 views, you've already educated some folks :-)
    Another way you can deal with the expanded screens because of pic size is to just "zoom out" the view on your browser. Makes the text harder to read, but it does shrink down the overall screen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I've got a buddy who had a double lung + heart transplant about 17 years ago. He wants to ride, but just can't keep up - he gets winded quickly (reduced lung capacity). I've been trying to talk him into a road bike with electric assist.

I have an electric-assist bike....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't mind having one of these at times:
    vivax assist, Gruber Assist seat tube drive, electric bike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one of these at times:
    vivax assist, Gruber Assist seat tube drive, electric bike
    Looks like that would have horrendous parasitic friction losses with driveshaft gears like that. Plus fitting it is going to be a problem. A lot simpler to get a front wheel w/ integrated hub motor, or a motor w/ cogs that engage the chain elsewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Worked for Fabian :-)
    (j/k)

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    Aren't these things a new name for mopeds?

Who wants a moped?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Aren't these things a new name for mopeds?
    Sorta, but different. Most countries define a moped as up to 50cc (or about 2000 watts) gas or electric, no pedals required, helmets, license plate (and insurance), and drivers license usually required, prohibited from cycle lanes/tracks.

A e-bike or Pedelec is limited to 250w in the EU (most U.S. states are currently 400w), electric only (no on board gas, hydrogen, or uranium), 25kph / 15mph max assisted propulsion, must have pedals as primary method of propulsion, no helmet, license plate, or drivers license required, may be used on any track/lane a bicycle can be used on.

As I said above, I'd prefer to see them limited to 150w-200w and maybe 9mph max assisted propulsion which would put them more in the assist category rather than something that can be used without pedaling or perhaps 150w-200w with assist only while pedaling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Around my way, electric bike = chinese delivery. (The pizza guys still ride Huffy)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Does anyone know how to play an electric bike?

Velocipediologist
    Creaky, are ya happy now?
    See what you started.

Are you going into the business or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast