Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    You are *way* stretched out. Here are my thoughts:

-Zipp service course 70 handlebar. 70 reach. Inexpenisve.
    -Shorter stem. How much shorter? A lot. None of us can tell you that without seeing you on it.
    -Point that stem to the sky. My guess is you never ever use your drops, based on handlebar alignment and how low you are in the hoods. Get your hoods in a place where it feels ride-all-day comfortable. Go to the drops when you want to get after it. Embrace being a middle aged inflexible white guy, or start going to yoga.
    -I'm guessing your saddle is a bit high, but it's only a guess, I'd need to see you at point of terminal extension to know for sure.
    -Your bike won't look as cool. But the only time you care about that is when it's in your garage.

Honestly, it really seems like you need to get a fit from a fitter, not an app. Someone who can set your saddle where it needs to be. Someone who can try different length/rise stems for you. If you plan on riding with any sort of regularity, it would probably be well worth the money.

*full disclosure, I fit bikes
    Point the stem at the sky is a bit extreme. Way too stretched out is a bit extreme. Embrace being middle aged and inflexible? Really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Lots of good advice above.

To me, the most important thing about this thread is that it neatly demonstrates that fixing too long a reach is a pain. When you buy a bike effective top tube and reach are the most importantly factors, make sure you get those right. Also, shorter is better than longer if you're between sizes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Lots of good advice above.

To me, the most important thing about this thread is that it neatly demonstrates that fixing too long a reach is a pain. When you buy a bike effective top tube and reach are the most importantly factors, make sure you get those right. Also, shorter is better than longer if you're between sizes.
    I would have agreed if you substituted stack for effective top tube. Short stack for someone with limited flexibility get's ugly trying to fit if aesthetics matter at all.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for all the good advice!

I almost got the zipp 70, but ended up ordering the ritchey evomax
    wiggle.com.au | Ritchey WCS Evo Max Road Handlebar | Road Handlebars

I also got an 80mm stem. Just waiting for them to show up in the mail and get testing.

last time i rode regularly on this bike I was almost 15kg lighter. I think it has a bit to do with how uncomfortable it is now.

The reason I used the bike fit app and also changed my bars is because I hadn't ridden for ages and then started getting some elbow pain from having my arms locked straight. I feel like if i got a bike fit now they would size me up for middle aged fat white guy...which isnt what i want my bike to be ;)...just give me 2 months and ill be back closer to 80.

My hoods used to be further up the bars and my hands would get irritated but not necessarily sore by the hoods position.

I once rode it 160km solo under 6 hours and also won my local division club championship crit on it. They were both just over a year ago.

I'm hoping that by shortening the reach I will be able to have my hoods on the right part of my bars, or, that I will be very very comfortable with them a bit higher again.

I very rarely would use the drops, only when sprinting. When it was my turn on the front I used the sphinx position

I was hoping to get back into it now that I'm coping with work a bit better and have some more time, so Its a bit tricky trying to set it up right so that its comfortable now, and also suits me when im race fit again.

Im 177cm (5'9?) and weigh about 79kg in peak condition

P.S. heres a photo of me doing a tri Reach to bars too long.-14449916_1752396688356007_3124590208964541447_n.jpg

PPS i ate a whole bag of midnight taco flavoured doritos while posting this....dont bother with the flavour -_-
    Last edited by Calam; 04-18-2017 at 12:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Point the stem at the sky is a bit extreme. Way too stretched out is a bit extreme. Embrace being middle aged and inflexible? Really?
    Moving his stem to the positive and his position up is a bit extreme?
    Maybe we have different definitions of "way" but any fitter will tell you yes, he is too stretched out.
    He either needs to get more flexible or fit his bike to his current state of flexibility. You have some sort of problem with that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Moving his stem to the positive and his position up is a bit extreme?
    Maybe we have different definitions of "way" but any fitter will tell you yes, he is too stretched out.
    He either needs to get more flexible or fit his bike to his current state of flexibility. You have some sort of problem with that?
    No. Just you and your assessment. I think it's way off is all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'd like to see him get in the drops. I don't get bikers that ride all day long on the tops, never change hand positions. My hands would be killing me if I only had one riding position.
    If he is on the road to recovery/riding, I would work with the bike. If that is as low as he can go from here on out.... I think he needs a much smaller endurance bike.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Reach to bars too long.-img_5033.jpg

Heres a picture of in the drops.

what do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I'd like to see him get in the drops. I don't get bikers that ride all day long on the tops, never change hand positions. My hands would be killing me if I only had one riding position.
    If he is on the road to recovery/riding, I would work with the bike. If that is as low as he can go from here on out.... I think he needs a much smaller endurance bike.
    Here's a pic in the drops. What do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Calam View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5033.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	318839

Heres a picture of in the drops.

what do you think?
    Seems a bit hunched over compared to this pro.

Reach to bars too long.-sagan-peter011pp.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Who's that guy?

Lol, kidding.

Thanks! I see what you mean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea , u should look more like sagan, then you'd be fast however you rode.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Just looking up Sagans impressie bike and took particular notice of his set up.

These three all seem to differ significatly.

Im also wondering whats wrong with my struture or special with his that lets a 182cm rider use a 56cm frame with 140mm stem.

Im 177 but struggling to look like that on a 54cm frame with a 100mm stem. My drop from saddle to bars also isnt as large as his.

anyway, very fitting for the handlebar position of this thread, check out these pics of his bikes.

Does it just come down to variation in his bars? (they all have the drop section horizontal and parrallel to the ground).

His saddle is very far forward. Doesnt it have to be a certain distance behind the bottom bracket? Does this also help with the reach?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reach to bars too long.-peter-sagan-bike-10.jpg   Reach to bars too long.-specialized_venge_vias_sagan-18_20160630.jpg   Reach to bars too long.-untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by Calam; 04-25-2017 at 06:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    His saddle is very far forward. Doesnt it have to be a certain distance behind the bottom bracket?
    Try this video on that issue.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Just looking up Sagans impressie bike and took particular notice of his set up.

These three all seem to differ significatly.

Im also wondering whats wrong with my struture or special with his that lets a 182cm rider use a 56cm frame with 140mm stem.

Im 177 but struggling to look like that on a 54cm frame with a 100mm stem. My drop from saddle to bars also isnt as large as his.

anyway, very fitting for the handlebar position of this thread, check out these pics of his bikes.

Does it just come down to variation in his bars? (they all have the drop section horizontal and parrallel to the ground).

His saddle is very far forward. Doesnt it have to be a certain distance behind the bottom bracket? Does this also help with the reach?
    A couple of things...

1. Rider height is just one aspect... more importantly is his build in terms of leg length, arm length and torso. Those individual aspects determine fit more than just overall height.

2. Are you sure he's on a 56 frame? Most pro riders use a frame 1 or even 2 sizes smaller to save weight and be as aero as possible. They're paid to be fast, not comfortable.

3. You're looking at two different bike models with 2 different handlebar setups... the first 2 bikes are Tarmacs w/ classic bend bars. The 3rd bike is a Venge ViAS with a shallow bend bar. The frame geo of the ViAS is pretty different in terms of fit. They have an app on the website, or used to at least, that has you put in a bunch of measurements from your current bike and it spits out the recommended frame size, stem, bars, etc. I know that when I did it, it spit out something radically different from my current set up to get my contact points in the same position.

4. His saddle looks normal to me, maybe a little forward on the rails, but he's using seat posts with pretty significant setback and even with the saddle forward he's not any more forward than someone who might choose a zero setback seat post. I don't think there are any rules regard saddle setback on road bikes for the pro. I know there are rules for the TT bikes because most of them would prefer to be as far forward as possible, but on the road bikes, I don't think that concern is too important because the need to be rideable in many situations i.e. climbing.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    You have a lot to learn but you are definitely asking the right questions and noticing some things. I can smell the tinder burning.

On the topic of "saddle being forward" what you need to understand is that it's all relative. Relative to the bike geometry, chain stay length, and a host of other factors. Don't forget about physiological factors as well...these guys can probably lick their arsehole if they tried hard enough. When I followed a strict program of muscle activation and stretching it was so much easier to get long and low than now.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Iím 5í9Ē with 30 inch inseam. Saddle height is 69 cm from center of bottom bracket to top of saddle.Saddle is Fizik Arione VS set as far forward as it will go to stop pain behind knee.Frame is endurance geometry with horizontal top tube of 54.5 cm and seat tube is 52.5 cm.Iím using a 100 mm stem with no spacers and -17 degree bend.

My first bars were 100 mm reach compact bars.
    I rode a 100 mile ride mostly on the brake hoods and because my elbows were stretched out, all the front impacts went to my shoulders causing soreness.Got a 78 mm reach compact drop bars and set it so the ramps angle down (like above pic of Saganís bars with Vision stem) to shorten the reach a little and because itís a comfortable place to put my hands.Bike is a lot more comfortable on the brake hoods now because my elbows can bend to absorb impacts.Full-on sprints on the hooks/drops donít feel as good as before, but overall the bike is more comfortable not being stretched out.Trial and error for me until I found an overall comfortable set-up.
    Last edited by ra21benj; 04-26-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: units correction

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    No. Just you and your assessment. I think it's way off is all.
    Ha. Thanks for explaining why and being helpful!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Still wating on my stem, but I very much like my new bars! how come a flared drop isnt a common thing? I think its fantastic!

What do you guys think of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69OzE3KB2IY

sems like a lot of pros are pushing their saddles very far forward as part of a way to handle big reach and drop. Some of their seat postswere straight and had no setback.

Seats angled down slightly. I used to love my seat like that but got told off from other riders

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Hey guys!

I put my bars on this morning, theyre really nice! only 40g heavier than my carbon ones, so big deal.

Still havn't got my stem yet. This is still with the 100mm stem. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/foKdAm5hQ7g
    https://youtu.be/W6GuO_HFM8U
    https://youtu.be/iSuZQ6GvoJ4

Old
    Reach to bars too long.-screenshot_20170413-152641.jpg
    New
    Reach to bars too long.-snapchat-481617445.jpg
    I dropped my seat down 25mm after this picture was taken...possibly even could do with a bit more?
    Last edited by Calam; 04-28-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12