Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Striker

Real world advice for hemorrhoids?

Got a little problem that seems persistent. What are some good remedies for the dreaded "H"?

I've tried preparation H and it seems to shrink them a bit but they keep coming back.

Does using a chamois butter help prevent them? Any home remedies out there I can try?

Thanks for your advice,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Gross out alert! This post is gonna get nasty...

"H' sucks. I have been there before. I seriously doubt that cycling is a cause and chamois creme will not make a difference. I have been managing it for years and have been pretty successful. Here are the things that help on the prevention side:

1. do your business regularly - for me, that means every morning right after breakfast. After a while, it becomes like clockwork.
    2. don't force it - this will always give me H
    3. Eat lots of fiber, and avoid things that give you burning diarrea - you want your business to be firm, but not hard.
    4. Enzimes - especially acidopholis - this really helps things move along peacefully.
    5. exercize - being a couch potato messes with your digestive tract
    6. go for a walk after eating - especially dinner
    7. avoid certain foods if you have problems with them - for me, that means steak and mozzarela cheese - they both bind me up and make me miserable
    8. minimize alchohol - depresses your digestive tract

So those are the preventative - what to do when you have it? Well - all of the above applies as well (but in bad cases, you won't want to exercize). Frankly, there isn't much that really helps - it usually just takes time for you body to get back on track, but here are some potential aids:

1. get your business out, but no pushing! This is why some people take laxitives. Personally I have found that they give me the runs, which always makes H worse so I avoid it.
    2. keep it clean! This is super important. Use witchhazel on it after doing your business. If possible, take a shower - after getting the area clean, spray cold water on it - it helps reduce swelling.
    3. take advil - helps reduce swelling
    4. After doing your business, lie down on your stomach for a while
    5. if it is really bad, put on some doctor's gloves, slather some prep H on your finger, and try to gently push the protrusion back inside. Have fun with this one! Dim the lights and put on some nice music (just kidding)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

One more idea

Sitting in a warm bath for 15-20 minutes seems to help ease pain and shrink them too... I think it promotes circulation in that area. My Dr. recommended this as part of the treatment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Dare I ask...

What the hell IS a hemroid? Sounds like a hernia.

Kyle

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

do a google.com search

Quote Originally Posted by IUbike

Kyle
    You'll find out more than you ever wanted to know.
    <<a sig line goes here>>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

They are a pain in the a**

From WebMD:
    http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_...avbar=hw213498

An H is an enlarged, inflamed vein in the rectum.

I knew zip about H until about three years ago. I always associated H with lazy slobs who sat on the couch all night eating pizza and never bathed. Nothing could be further from the truth. One of baseball's greatest hitters, George Brett, had to leave a World Series game early b/c of H.

I've been an athlete all my life, so one day when I found blood on my toilet paper I freaked out. My first thought was colon cancer.

Turns out it was an H, caused by lifting heavy weights and, believe it or not, helping a friend move his furniture. (He still owes me big.) Any workout that involves heavy strain on the muscles in your lower torso or even thighs can cause H. You've got to get your breathing right (exhale on the exertion) and take it easy to avoid them.

Good advice above. Also, use premoistened pads (Tucks?) when you wipe. If it is really bad, consider surgery.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

n00bsauce
    A nice 20 min. soak in the hot tub helps alot. When my H acts up I make sure to spend at least this amount of time in the hot tub every day.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

pain in the butt

Kyle
    it is a real pain in the a$$....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Preparation H Suppositories work for me. Actually, the house-brand version of them: Rite Aid Medicated Hemorrhoidal Suppositories . They do require developing a certain new, well, skill, but they work well within a couple days without overly-strong ingredients like hydrocortisone. And if you read the ingredient list, you can get a whole new appreciation for cocoa butt’r.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    1. take a nice hot bath.

2. eat at least a couple bowls of oatmeal every day.

if it doesn't clear up in a day, repeat until it does.

sd

RoadBikeReview Member

It's similar to

Kyle
    visits from a relative you don't like.....they're o.k. for a day or two but after 3 days, they become a pain in the @ss.....

RoadBikeReview Member

I only have trouble with this

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Got a little problem that seems persistent. What are some good remedies for the dreaded "H"?
    I've tried preparation H and it seems to shrink them a bit but they keep coming back.
    Does using a chamois butter help prevent them? Any home remedies out there I can try?
    Thanks for your advice,
    when I've spent too many contiuous days in the saddle; and at the first sign of tenderness, I use a suppository once in the morning and once at bedtime. I continue this until I feel o.k, then I do it as a preventive-cautionary practice for the next few rides...and maybe try to skip a couple of days riding to let the body catch up...(Prep. H is twice as expensive as the Equate brand; and both have the same ingredients).
    Sodade's remedies are on target.....and don't read a magazine when you use the john...Gravity is also a co-culprit..

If you still have to ride and it's painful, here's what I suggest:
    When you're ready to put your shorts on, get some pure CORN STARCH, sit on the john and pat as much of the CS on the 'area' as you can....make sure you have it coated well.....now, pullup your shorts and clean the powdered residue from the toilet seat.
    Unless your condition is extremely severe, you should be able to survive a nice ride.
    Remember: Corn Starch, not talcum powder, or talcum powder w/CS.....I might add that this is excellent for your babies that have diaper rash (been there, done that).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker

Thanks for your advice,
    Like many have said above...

Fiber (Fibercon tablets or Metamusel are convienent)
    Stiz bath http://www.1st-in-hemorrhoids.com/2/...eatments-.html Very good!
    Baby wipes.

*Don't sit on one of those rubber donuts...they make things worse!

Best,
    Frank

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

Hemorrhoid Advice from Painful Experience

I've suffered from those horrible things for nearly 25 years, and I've figured out a few tips and tricks for long-term and immediate relief. I hope my advice helps. Hemorrhoid Advice

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post

Thanks for your advice,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congratulations on the epic dredge.

However, there's no way I'm clicking a link from someone's first post.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    How about his second post? Haha. I'm a real person. Who has to ride a bike far back on the seat.

Hemorrhoid Advice

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Congratulations on the epic dredge.

However, there's no way I'm clicking a link from someone's first post.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I believe we have a spambot.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Manwipes.

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/our-...ts/fresh/wipes

Plus, guaranteed no skidmarks on yer chamois.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I believe we have a spambot.
    Is this how the DNC got phished??
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Baby wipes. Clean that thing out thoroughly every time. Makes all the difference and will eliminate them completely.

Howard Stern preaches this often so it’s not just me being weird.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Keep the area clean after you’ve done with number 2,therefore use the bidet. Oh wait,USA and UK seems to have a lot of issues with the presence of bidets....lol..

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    .... Oh wait,USA and UK seems to have a lot of issues with the presence of bidets....lol..
    Well, not in my neighborhood it seems. Last winter, I went past a house where a homeowner had put to the curb the old toilet AND bidet........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by team_sheepshead View Post
    From WebMD:
    http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_...avbar=hw213498

An H is an enlarged, inflamed vein in the rectum.

I knew zip about H until about three years ago. I always associated H with lazy slobs who sat on the couch all night eating pizza and never bathed. Nothing could be further from the truth. One of baseball's greatest hitters, George Brett, had to leave a World Series game early b/c of H.

I've been an athlete all my life, so one day when I found blood on my toilet paper I freaked out. My first thought was colon cancer.

Turns out it was an H, caused by lifting heavy weights and, believe it or not, helping a friend move his furniture. (He still owes me big.) Any workout that involves heavy strain on the muscles in your lower torso or even thighs can cause H. You've got to get your breathing right (exhale on the exertion) and take it easy to avoid them.

Good advice above. Also, use premoistened pads (Tucks?) when you wipe. If it is really bad, consider surgery.
    Almond Oil promotes healing. There are different versions of this malady. The one you don't want is the internal that protrudes and requires that you push it in. The external 'H' can bleed if you over-clean or use too much pressure.

Thank God I'm not hirsute(hairy), but like to use Vaseline(cuts down on friction)/Neosporin(friction and pain relief).
    2016 Orbea Orca OMR w/Dura-Ace 9070 Di2, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, Vision Tri-Max 35's, S-Works Carbon Power saddle, FSA Force SB32 seatpost, Sram XG1090 cassette, Look Keo Blade Ti's.
    15.9lbs

2013 Wilier Zero. 7 w/e-Tap, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, S-Works carbon Power saddle, Red cranks w/Rotor "Quarbon"/Roval 50's, Ritchey Superlogic post, Look Keo Blade Ti's, Rotor Uno cassette, Red 22 brakes. 14.08lbs.

2016 Cervelo Rca, THM Clavicula cranks, AX Lightness stem, bar and seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    Manwipes.

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/our-...ts/fresh/wipes

Plus, guaranteed no skidmarks on yer chamois.
    Great commercial!
    2016 Orbea Orca OMR w/Dura-Ace 9070 Di2, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, Vision Tri-Max 35's, S-Works Carbon Power saddle, FSA Force SB32 seatpost, Sram XG1090 cassette, Look Keo Blade Ti's.
    15.9lbs

2013 Wilier Zero. 7 w/e-Tap, Zipp Aero SL70, Enve stem, S-Works carbon Power saddle, Red cranks w/Rotor "Quarbon"/Roval 50's, Ritchey Superlogic post, Look Keo Blade Ti's, Rotor Uno cassette, Red 22 brakes. 14.08lbs.

2016 Cervelo Rca, THM Clavicula cranks, AX Lightness stem, bar and seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sitting is one of your biggest enemies. In other words, get off your @$$ and move (when you're not on the bike of course).
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast