Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 61
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
    Age? Weight? I'm 52 and don't run much but I could run a sub 7 mile without too much difficulty. I know a lot of fit cyclists who would struggle to break 10 minutes. OTOH, I ride with a guy who at age 62 is a competitive distance runner.
    6'6" 235lbs, 30 years old.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DaveWC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    What a strange, impossible to answer question. How are we supposed to know? What are you hoping to get out of this thread? Go run a mile, figure it out.
    The posts to the thread took longer to write than the mile should take. I imagine the goal is to come back and amaze us with a time of 6:30.

  3. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,294
    Personally, I would allow 2 or 3 hours.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Asfos ?
    One would think.

  5. #30
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,384
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Asfos ?
    don't think so...

    the 'real' Asfos is over on BF under several different posting names.

    his latest gem was asking if you'd get a better workout by riding with both tires flat.

    classic stuff.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    The posts to the thread took longer to write than the mile should take. I imagine the goal is to come back and amaze us with a time of 6:30.
    Given that he has a 40mph sprint, I'm guessing he should amaze us with a 4:15 mile time, but not show us any evidence.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ROAD&DIRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    946
    When I was running Track and Field back in High School (many years ago) I was running a 6.25min/mile, took home a few ribbons in the Mile, 440 and hurdles
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

    "There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

    "Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    Cycling only. Have never run more than 1 mile at a time as far as I can recall and that was 15+ years ago, if not 20+ or even 25 years ago.

    Funny how some people say 10 and others say 7, big difference, no?
    When I was in my 40s, riding a bit, running a bit, definitely in better running shape than I am now, I could do laps (440 yd, 400m) in about 1:40 which is a little less than 7:00 per mile. When I was in my 50 and running 3 or so times per week for 3-4 miles a crack, I could do those 3-4 miles training pace at about 10-12 min/mile. I did my "fastest" 5 km race around that time at exactly 8:00 per mile, and I was thrashed. Oh, and at the time I was in condition to 50km ski races at about a 3:30 pace, so not "fast" but not bad.

    I'm in my 60s now and in pretty good all around shape - skiing, riding, gym workouts. But I never (literally) run. Don't like it, don't do it. But I do 3+ miles of very hilly fitness walking 1-2 times per week also and can do that in less than an hour. I'm pretty sure I could jog and/or run/walk a mile in 10-12 minutes on flat ground, but not multiples without doing a bit of training to work up to it.

    So, shoot for 10:00 would be my guess.

    But why the questions and discussion? Why don't you walk across the street and run and report back?

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,619
    If you are a cyclist, why in hell would you want to run? Riding a bike isn't really fitness practical. Especially if you want to be fast... You want to ride fast, ride. You want to run fast, run. You want to do both, see rule number 42.

    If if you can get that time down to some of the suggestions here, say well sub 6 minutes, close to 5, you should consider going to an NFL combine for tight end.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    930
    Troll klaxon is wailing.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,080
    there's no way to answer this.

  12. #37
    I make Eagles fly
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    272
    Anything slower than an 8 minute miles is pretty much walking . The average person can walk a mile in 12 minutes, doing a slow jog ( not the linebacker shuffle ) will easily be faster than 8 minutes if you have no breaks.

    my normal route is 3.8 miles , don't really push myself and do it in 27 minutes. Never really pushed hard for a mile in many years. My last Air Force Fit test I came thru the mile mark at 6:10 , just jogging at about 80% since I was recovering from being sick and snot was still pouring out my nose.

    i should mention age, I'm 41

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kjbarry86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    8
    7-8 per mile I think is a reasonable goal. I try to stay around 830 for my first mile when doing bricks for triathlon. U got this

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    Anything slower than an 8 minute miles is pretty much walking . The average person can walk a mile in 12 minutes, doing a slow jog ( not the linebacker shuffle ) will easily be faster than 8 minutes if you have no breaks.

    my normal route is 3.8 miles , don't really push myself and do it in 27 minutes. Never really pushed hard for a mile in many years. My last Air Force Fit test I came thru the mile mark at 6:10 , just jogging at about 80% since I was recovering from being sick and snot was still pouring out my nose.

    i should mention age, I'm 41
    I think your "average" person who routinely easily walks miles in 12 minutes or can just up and run a mile in 8 minutes might be an average pretty active person, which really isn't average in all. I'd say an average person takes a good 20 minutes to walk a mile, and that average person probably wouldn't be able to jog any of it without getting out of breath. I'm talking about true average people from 15 - 60, not just sub 40 year olds and not just people who are normally active.

    Take a look at community 5 K runs and see how many finish in 25 minutes or less (average 8 min/mi) - I think you'll find that there's a lot of people who are very active who finish those events slower than 8 min/mile, and many, many more who take a lot longer than that. My guess based on my own experience is that if you finish in less than 25 minutes, you're well within the top half of the overall field. Certainly not a competitive pace, but a pretty good "participant" pace, which is closer to an "average" person.

    And those sort of events only attract fairly active people, not all fitness buffs, but active in some way. Think of if everyone, say between 15 and 60 y.o. in your town entered and tried to walk 3.1 miles? My point only being that those benchmarks aren't realistic for "average" people, in my opinion.

    People like you and me on these forums tend to have friends and family who are fairly active, if not really fit - nothing like the population in general.

  15. #40
    I make Eagles fly
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I think your "average" person who routinely easily walks miles in 12 minutes or can just up and run a mile in 8 minutes might be an average pretty active person, which really isn't average in all. I'd say an average person takes a good 20 minutes to walk a mile, and that average person probably wouldn't be able to jog any of it without getting out of breath. I'm talking about true average people from 15 - 60, not just sub 40 year olds and not just people who are normally active.

    Take a look at community 5 K runs and see how many finish in 25 minutes or less (average 8 min/mi) - I think you'll find that there's a lot of people who are very active who finish those events slower than 8 min/mile, and many, many more who take a lot longer than that. My guess based on my own experience is that if you finish in less than 25 minutes, you're well within the top half of the overall field. Certainly not a competitive pace, but a pretty good "participant" pace, which is closer to an "average" person.

    And those sort of events only attract fairly active people, not all fitness buffs, but active in some way. Think of if everyone, say between 15 and 60 y.o. in your town entered and tried to walk 3.1 miles? My point only being that those benchmarks aren't realistic for "average" people, in my opinion.

    People like you and me on these forums tend to have friends and family who are fairly active, if not really fit - nothing like the population in general.
    Well I ran a 5k this weekend, only ran a few runs this year and did it in 23:10. Started slow in the back if the pack with my friend who invited me to he event.. Ended up ditching him after about a minute , made my way thru the pack and finished in the upper part of the top 25. Took 4th for the over 40 crowd, next 5k I do in a couple month will be a bit more serious. I figure that if I start running 2x a week I should have no problem getting a sub 20 time.

    Only about 40 of over 500 people did it in under 25 minutes.

  16. #41
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,384
    so, when's the OP gonna post a time...?

    thread fail.

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    don't think so...

    the 'real' Asfos is over on BF under several different posting names.

    his latest gem was asking if you'd get a better workout by riding with both tires flat.

    classic stuff.
    I just had a look over there. A couple of classic questions:

    How can I carry my 25 lb dog on my mountain bike?
    How much fast will I go? (with a fancy light bike)
    Nothing at all like this here. We're missing out on some good trolling.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10
    Like people have said, 8 minutes flat would be a good time all things considered and I'd say anything in the 7minute X seconds would be quite good.

    I work more short distance sprints, push sheds and do weighted sprints with tires chained to my waist. I haven't ran more than a couple miles in a while but I'm not built to be much of a long distance runner, more of an explosive athlete. I probably can't break into the 6 minute X Second mark without killing myself.

    That poses an interesting question, how good is biking compared to running for cardio purposes?

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRecourse View Post
    That poses an interesting question, how good is biking compared to running for cardio purposes?
    Running utilizes more muscle groups, so I'd assume that. If you have 20 minutes a day, you'd likely get more of a "workout" running than riding at the same intensity.

    Though neither are as good as cross country skiing, apparently.

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRecourse View Post

    That poses an interesting question, how good is biking compared to running for cardio purposes?

    It's nowhere close for me. I'm a good weather rider because I despise cold air in my lungs when I'm exercising. I usually run all winter long on a treadmill, nothing ridiculous but 18-25 miles a week. I don't run fast anymore (used to be a 17:40 5k in my early 20's, now at 38 I do it in 26.30) but I can still cover 7 miles on pavement in around an hour depending on terrain.

    This spring when the nice weather hit and I clipped in again for the first time in 4 months after running all winter long on a treadmill and a couple of local 5k's just to get a view on the good days, I road a little 20 miles loop around my neighborhood just to break in the cycling muscles and I hit 5 different PR's on hilly sections.

    Thing is, previous PR's were set at the end of last season after all summer of riding and these I seriously wasn't pushing for, I was riding at what felt like a maintenance pace to go for a distance ride just because I wanted to break my legs in gently.

    There was no effort to go faster than last year, just did. So I'd say running will improve cycling vastly if you stick to it.

    My best mile anymore though to stay on topic is a 7:10. I'm sure I could go back in the high 6's if I really pushed myself but with knee surgeries and arthritis I just don't push that hard anymore. The 5:xx days are LONG gone though.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Fuji Altamira 2.0
    2016 Fuji Cross 1.5

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    so, when's the OP gonna post a time...?

    thread fail.
    I think he's still out there running...

    At 235 pounds with no training, I would bet mid to low 7 minutes, but if he were 100 pounds lighter, then I'd bet around low 6 minutes maybe even faster.

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Asfos ?
    Don't think so. This is the guy who wanted to file a warranty claim at his bike shop on a cassette with rust spots on it:

    Ultegra 6800 cassette rusting with 399 miles (pic included)
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DaveWC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is the guy who wanted to file a warranty claim at his bike shop on a cassette with rust spots on it
    Which is probably why he is focusing on his ability to run fast now. Wait for it, he'll be back with a jpg of "6:20" and suggest that that is evidence of his time running the mile.

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: majbuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    523
    The Beave probably got nipped at the line by Eddie Haskell and he doesn't want to tell us.

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    31
    At age 61, I can do a 9:50 mile for 3 miles. This is without a lot of training. If I train a bit more, perhaps low 9:00's. I'm happy with that. I will never see anything faster, but I do enjoy doing both activities, but much prefer the bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Motorcyclist videos himself deliberately running into cyclist (UK)
    By wgscott in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 05:14 AM
  2. Cop Not Guilty Of Assault After Running Into Cyclist
    By uphillcrash in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM
  3. Is paying $4k for my first time reasonable?
    By bondbike in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 10:36 AM
  4. Biking 10 mile = ? miles running
    By wiwright2 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
  5. Cyclist dies after 2,400-mile ride
    By TexAg in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •