Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    The Beave probably got nipped at the line by Eddie Haskell and he doesn't want to tell us.
    June Cleaver: Ward, don't you think you were a little rough on the Beaver last nite...?

best line to ever make it past the censors...!

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Did a 21:13 today in a 5k, then when I run 10k I seem to hold an 8 minute mile pace. Running the San Diego marathon this year, hoping to hold an 8 minute mile once for the whole race

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I'm late to the thread, but I can't believe the OP hasn't told us how he fared (re: how sore he was after the attempt!)

Good cyclists aren't necessarily good runners, and vice versa.

I'm a better runner than a cyclist. I was once in a team triathlon event, and some of the competitors in the run were also cyclists I'd raced with. A couple were state champions and I would easily be dropped in a bike race against them.

I smeared both of them in the run. One even congratulated me on my finish, which was top 5 overall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    these sort of "running vs cycling" discussion is always fun.

but any physiologist will say that running is ALWAYS harder than cycling at the top level

- in running, you never see a big guy in the front
    - tall and skinny guys can be great climbers and time trialists in cycling, but in running their joints won't last
    - big and heavy guy can be great road sprinters in the pro peloton, but in running, they'll be promptly dropped in the first couple miles by highschool runners, nevermind elite runners

IMO, running at the elite level requires much more specificity. That is, most of them have the same body type and similar physiology, where as in cycling you have a much wider spectrum of body types and physiology. Calves and achilles are also very important in running, so if you're not blessed with good anatomy in these area, then you're screw even if you may have a big aerobic capacity. In cycling, because of the bicycle's mechanical advantage, it somewhat levels out the differences anatomical advantages/differences between cyclists, thus making aerobic capacity more of a determinant factor in cycling.

my opinion is that a great runner can much easier transform into a good/great cyclist than the other way around. But a good/great cyclist would not automatically be a great runner. The older ones get, the harder it is to transition to running, and it's completely foolish for any aging cycling "Masters" or Cat1/2/3/4/5 local hero to even think they could hang with the good local high school runners (yes, local high school) in, say, a half marathon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    The older ones get, the harder it is to transition to running, and it's completely foolish for any aging cycling "Masters" or Cat1/2/3/4/5 local hero to even think they could hang with the good local high school runners (yes, local high school) in, say, a half marathon
    While I don't necessarily disagree with the notion of a random bike racer not being able to run well, most high school runners aren't that good, either, and very few of them are running a half marathon. Sort of a random distance there. 5ks? Sure. Halfs? No.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree with the notion of a random bike racer not being able to run well, most high school runners aren't that good, either, and very few of them are running a half marathon. Sort of a random distance there. 5ks? Sure. Halfs? No.
    I'm talking about county level runners, they'll run 5:30 - 5:45 mile in the 5k. But for argument's sake and take a 6 min mile. How many your local Masters and climber heroes (nevermind fat crit guys with beer bellies) can hold that pace in a 5k? My guess is NOT many. Serious high school runners will do low 5min mile in 5k, state level will do sub-5min. How many Tour racers will run sub-5 min mile in 5k? Probably not many either.
    Ehhh let's just get ot the bottomline here, aging Masters and local Cat1,2,3 will be dropped by good high schoolers in 5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon (yes, they do run those though it's outside of school competition). End of story bro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Running sucks, just ask Usain Bolt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I'm talking about county level runners, they'll run 5:30 - 5:45 mile in the 5k. But for argument's sake and take a 6 min mile. How many your local Masters and climber heroes (nevermind fat crit guys with beer bellies) can hold that pace in a 5k? My guess is NOT many. Serious high school runners will do low 5min mile in 5k, state level will do sub-5min. How many Tour racers will run sub-5 min mile in 5k? Probably not many either.
    Ehhh let's just get ot the bottomline here, aging Masters and local Cat1,2,3 will be dropped by good high schoolers in 5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon (yes, they do run those though it's outside of school competition). End of story bro.
    Your post implies you don't know very much about high school running.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    You're mixing and matching here. How many middle aged 5K / 10K shufflers can keep up with high school CCers? How many high school CCers would keep up with even a Cat 4 race? Not many in either case.

Also, I'd add that success in cycling racing is about far more than physical prowess. For example: Joe Dombrowski, a physical prodigy who's won very little in pro racing despite years of experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Here's my take. Running and riding can support each other nicely if your goal is to be a faster runner AND a faster cyclist or if adding in the cross training is a way to increase workout time per week.

That said, a seasoned athlete replacing some weekly runs with rides (and vice versa) probably won't see an improvement. That is unless it clears up some over training / rejuvenates some burnt out legs and mind.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Down to a 20:24 5k and I need to run another 10k to see where I'm at. Rode some of my old areas from before I moved a couple weeks ag, and am crushing my old personal records. Between running and cycling,, getting stronger , faster and stronger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123