RoadBikeReview Member

Recommendations for good shoe booties

I'm looking for a pair that is wind and water proof but not too bulky. A fleece liner would be nice too. Anybody have good suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielc
    I'm looking for a pair that is wind and water proof but not too bulky. A fleece liner would be nice too. Anybody have good suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Assos-W...item45f72e98c5

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...948.158.0.html

I have both and I have no Problems w cold weather

Bike Wing Conspiracy

I have a pair from years ago.

They are neoprene and are way too bulky.

I did wear them a season, but they drove me nuts.

I tend to use the fleece socks - have never had a problem with them keeping my feet warm. .

I am thinking of getting the toe covers this year. My toes got cold this morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielc

Thanks.
    I'm liking my Pearl Izumi "Barrier" shoe covers...

Pearl Izumi Barrier Shoe Covers at REI.com

Worn with a standard road shoe (with standard wool socks) these seem to keep my feet plenty warm. Can't vouch for waterproof as...

A.) Haven't had occasion to wear in wet conditions yet
    2.) I don't ride in wet conditions

:-)
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently use $40 Performance booties that I got probably 6 years ago that are neoprene based with rubber soles and a fleece liner. They've work relatively well except for when it is raining hard, water will run down my legs into my socks and I end up with wet/cold feet. Plus the neoprene isn't really waterproof The other issue is that they are bulky to the point they rub on my crank arms during pedaling and wear off the clear coat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Performance neoprene booties. $19.99 on sale, two years ago. Just those over regular road shoes, with the little chemical toe warmers on colder days, gets me well into the 20's in comfort.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Gore Bike Wear's shoe covers are far from bulky and are both wind and water resistant, plus, you can't beat their durability (good quality zippers, well reinforced bottoms).

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Taking into account how a lot op people like to trash Performance stuff, their booties are the warmest you can buy, period. I'm riding with a pair that's about 10 years old, and they look like they'll last at least another 5.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1082829_-1___
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    If you do much cold weather riding, consider a pair of winter shoes. I had a pair of booties for years, and didn't use them much because they were such a PITA. Last year Nashbar had a killer deal on some Lake winter MTB shoes, so I pulled the trigger and now I'm soooo much more comfortable in the winter. Being warm in cold weather, for me, comes down to keeping the feet, hands and face/head warm. Keeping the rest of your body warm isn't that tough, but those areas make all the difference. Probably the biggest advantage of winter cycling shoes is that the soles are insulated, in addition to the uppers. Booties do very little to insulate the bottom of your feet. And if the soles of your shoes are ice cold, there's no way your feet are going to stay warm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Most of my riding now is winter commuting in wet and 40 F weather. I also use my booties in early spring events that require me to ride in the rain. Winter shoes would be nice but will add more to the cost and I'd also need to buy a pair of cleats. Definitely something to consider in the future.
    I might give the Performance booties another try. As I mentioned above, I have gotten good use out of them. Maybe with the new velcro closures, it'll help prevent water from running down my leg into my shoes.

The Wanderer
    I've found that neoprene booties retain water and still leave my feet wet. I use these for rain http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=FC6450 They have a polyurethane coat that reflects water well. They are not warm but work good in the rain. I use a thicker winter sock to balance it out. These work just as well but a little more expensive http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...paign=Datafeed

I use these for cold weather but not for rain http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C2531 or these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=38101
    And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Bike Club, you have to race.

Cpk
    banned
    http://www.uplandsg.com/capo/WindBooties.htm

I like these but I don't think they are water-proof but the do a great job with the wind and are warm!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclust
    If you do much cold weather riding, consider a pair of winter shoes. I had a pair of booties for years, and didn't use them much because they were such a PITA. Last year Nashbar had a killer deal on some Lake winter MTB shoes, so I pulled the trigger and now I'm soooo much more comfortable in the winter. Being warm in cold weather, for me, comes down to keeping the feet, hands and face/head warm. Keeping the rest of your body warm isn't that tough, but those areas make all the difference. Probably the biggest advantage of winter cycling shoes is that the soles are insulated, in addition to the uppers. Booties do very little to insulate the bottom of your feet. And if the soles of your shoes are ice cold, there's no way your feet are going to stay warm.
    I have come to the same conclusion. I bought a pair of Sidi winter mtn bike shoes after using neoprene shoe covers for years. I think they keep your feet about as warm as the shoe covers, but are a lot easier to take on and off. I do most of my winter riding back and forth to work. Its 16 miles each way, so about an hour. Much more than that and I think cold feet are inevitable no matter what you wear. The chemical toe warmers do work well, but I can't justify the cost of them for commuting an hour one way. If you don't want to spend the $$$$ on winter shoes, I'd say just get the cheapest neoprene covers you can find -- likely the Performance ones. Who cares what kind of fleece lining they have -- only the outside of your shoe is going to feel that.

I also tried Gore-Tex socks -- don't go there. Lastly, don't go overboard on the socks. If you wear heavy socks and cram your feet into the shoes, your feet will actually be colder than wearing thin socks. I hate cold weather.

Large Suburban Male
    I have some old Neoprene booties - forget the make. They've lasted me for years, and have gotten me through some pretty cold rides...no fleece...
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I have the Sugoi booties, good for like maybe -8 to -10c, But rain, in 20 minutes your feet will be soaked.
    My neoprene ones lasted 25 minutes and they were soaked.
    I wonder if waterproof booties exist. If so, let me know.......I want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Deadwrong666- The Gore shoe covers I have are waterproof.

Beetpull DeLite
    I have some fleecy ones at home that cover the entire shoe (other than the cleat) and your ankle, and wrap around the back. They're held in place via velcro and are nice and toasty. I'll check on the brand when I get home.

edit: They're Sidetrak brand, and I guess they are neoprene. They're pretty thick though. I like 'em.
    Last edited by GirchyGirchy; 12-08-2010 at 01:20 PM.