RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

Recovery from Double Pneumonia

I am an avid year-round biker. I stay in excellent shape with a resting heart rate of about 48 or so. Recently I had the unfortune to come down with double pneumonia.

Here's my question: has anyone on the board experienced a recovery from double pneumonia? How long does it take to regain your former lung capacity. I am in week three of recovery and find that a 3 mile walk around the hilly neighborhood is a challenge. I have been told that it can take 5 months for full recovery, but this came from a knucklehead friend at work. I am very anxious to resume my commuting rides - about 22 miles each way.

Does anyone have this experience?

Bikerneil

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

No experience

Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    Here's my question: has anyone on the board experienced a recovery from double pneumonia? How long does it take to regain your former lung capacity. I am in week three of recovery and find that a 3 mile walk around the hilly neighborhood is a challenge. I have been told that it can take 5 months for full recovery, but this came from a knucklehead friend at work. I am very anxious to resume my commuting rides - about 22 miles each way.

Obviously your experience is not common, otherwise you would have received some replies. A general comment is that recovery from both injury and disease are quite individual, so your co-worker's "5 months" comment is not all that relevant. This is especially true given that you were in good shape before you got sick. The key advice here is to monitor yourself closely during your return to full health, and make sure that you don't dig a hole. Some people have real difficulty in controlling their impulse to train hard and if you see yourself in this, then be especially vigilant to prevent setbacks due to trying to come back too fast. I would guess that you should focus almost entirely on base-building rather than intensity until you feel pretty much normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    good question. about 6 yrs ago, i came down with a case of bacterial pneumonia while working in patagonia in argentina. it just about killed me, until i finally got some antibiotics. great weight loss program. i did take nearly 1-2 months to feel strong again. i'm only guessing, as i have not real way of knowing this (too many other variables), but i think i may have lost some permanent lung capacity. only a guess, though, with no VOmax or other way of verifying this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Including the illness, it took me about six weeks to feel recovered. My advice, don't push it coming back. If you feel like riding, go for it. If not, just rest. I didn't have any ill affects from pneumonia, in fact, I ended up having my best racing season yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I had pnemonia two years ago. It took me about 3-4 months to get back to where I was feeling pretty good.

Best thing is to rest and don't push it else you will be susceptible to ongoing problems.

Last year I got some kind of virus in my lungs. The doc said it was a form of adult RSV. I got that in June and it my lungs possibly 6 months to fully recover. I went back to racing thinking I was healed but at times my lungs/airway would clamp down and couldn't get enough O2.

Be careful and get healthy.

ScubaD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    What is "double" pneumonia ?

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by UpStroke
    What is "double" pneumonia ?
    That would be infection / inflammation in both lungs.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bikerneil
    Not sure if I had "double pneumonia*", but I had pneumonia about 5 years ago and it took a couple of months to get back to "normal" and a couple more months to get back to "fast". Your doctor ain't lying. It's tough and you gotta ramp back up slowly or you will only end up on your back again.

* I may have had double secret pneumonia...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I had double pneumonia 3 years ago. I discovered it while I was on a bike trip and it wasn't pleasant. Aside from being the sickest I've been in my life the breathing was really difficult so I know where you're coming from. I was on the varsity crew team at the time and in great shape but it took me a month to fully inhale and about 3 months before I could engage in any sort of physical activity without panting or coughing. Unfortunately, I'd say the 5th months is about right for a complete and full recovery but everyone is different. You have to be patient with these things and take them a few weeks at a time and don't over exert yourself! I tried to work out again after 2 weeks and ended up back in bed. Good luck!

Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct 2005
    I am an avid year-round biker. I stay in excellent shape with a resting heart rate of about 48 or so. Recently I had the unfortune to come down with double pneumonia.

Bikerneil

I had this once also a few years back while in my late 20's (read that as in better shape to kick off this kind of stuff if you8 give your body a chance). Pneumonia germs are all around, and the way it was told to me, is that you get so run down that it gives the pneumonia germs a foot hold so the immune system can't kick it off without help. (Interesting stat I heard - don't know if it is true - that most people who have a heart attack and survive it don't die from that, instead, from the pneumonia they develop a number of days later).

When I had this the doctor called my work place, called my boss, and told him I would be out of work for the remainder of that week and for two weeks beyond. Next, he told me to go home and REST during that time. Sleep when I was tired, read, watch TV, good diet, and generally just hang out until I kicked this thing (and a handful of pills every few hours too).

Your lungs have been ravaged by an infection and they need time to repair themselves. This is going to take a while to do the repair, reduce the swelling, and clean out all the junk that collected in there (now probably at a microscopic level).

Give your self some time to recover. If you went for a walk and it gave you problems, then back off, let yourself rest, and recover.

Also, one you have had pneumonia, you are more susceptiable to getting it again. There is a pneumonia vaccine that you can get and I would get that shot too. Your doctor may give you an inquisitive stare (most people who get this shot are older) but get it anyway -- good for 5 years I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never had pneumonia, but just recovering from adult onset chicken pox was tough. It's been 4 months and I just now feel back to where I was in December before I got sick.

Frustrating, I know.

I feel badly for my husband and riding partner. He must be bored to death when riding with me by now. He can out pace me easily. He even got a new bike (as did I) and neither one of us are getting the most out of them cause I'm still trying to get back to where I was.