RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Recreational rider Sidi Genius 5 or Sidi Zeta Carbon??

I ride at least 3 times a week and have a group of friend that I talked into grabbing road bikes. I have had mine about a year now..a 2004 Trek 1500.

My question: Is the Genius 5 that much better of a shoe compared to the Zeta Carbon or will the Zeta suffice?

Also are the LOOK Keo classics that great in comparison to some cheapo Fortes?

banned
    If the Zetas fit your foot, then you'll be fine. You won't be missing out on anything. As for the pedals....well, I'm a Speedplay guy....but I'd choose the Looks over the Fortes. You don't have to get the top end Keos, and you should still be able to find other look models elsewhere online....eBay.....

Moderatus Puisne
    Genius isn't "better" than zeta carbon -- it may be worse.

Basically, one has a carbon sole, the other, the clicky-buckle.

You probably won't care bout the carbon sole stiffness. Get the zeta if you like the three-strap, or the genius of you like the clicky-buckle.

If you're riding recreationally, a pedal that's two-sided is a big boon. I have no info on the durability of the bearings in the Fortes, or who really makes 'em.

gone biking...
    Jul 2004
    I've had the Zeta's for about 7 months now - w/ no complaints. It's a great shoe.

Get the Looks. Aren't FortÚs made by Performance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I got the Genius's for Christmas.

The buckle isn't that hard to use, but on my smaller foot, I have a harder time getting them as tight as I would like. The buckle just doesn't get any tighter and the next size down didn't fit my larger foot.

The buckle can also break. I saw a guy with Specialized shoes trash the buckle in a wreck. He was pretty ticked.

As for pedals, my mother-in-law bought me some Keo Carbons for Christmas and I love them. They're the only road pedal I've ever used, but they're great. If you got to Total Cycling or one of the other international dealers, you can get them pretty cheap - around $130 - compared to US prices.
    "It's supposed to be a challenge; it's a shortcut! If it were easy
    it would just be the way." - Road Trip

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Buckles are for little kids rubber winter boots. They are another example of "high tech" that answered a question that no one asked.
    Don't believe everything you think.

ari
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Buckles are for little kids rubber winter boots. They are another example of "high tech" that answered a question that no one asked.
    The question is: "How do I quickly, precisely, and safely tighten my shoes just a bit while riding?" My previous shoes were Zetas, and I definitely appreciate the buckle on my Specialized Pro Carbons. My shoes tend to loosen up later in a ride, and tightening the buckle a notch is as easy as grabbing a water bottle, even in a group.

Cheers,
    Ari
    My saddle weighs more than your honors student.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Please, that logic says we should all be wearing lace up shoes too, and I don't see that all too often.

Have you ever tried a shoe with a buckle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by topflightpro
    I got the Genius's for Christmas.

The buckle isn't that hard to use, but on my smaller foot, I have a harder time getting them as tight as I would like. The buckle just doesn't get any tighter and the next size down didn't fit my larger foot.

The buckle can also break. I saw a guy with Specialized shoes trash the buckle in a wreck. He was pretty ticked.

As for pedals, my mother-in-law bought me some Keo Carbons for Christmas and I love them. They're the only road pedal I've ever used, but they're great. If you got to Total Cycling or one of the other international dealers, you can get them pretty cheap - around $130 - compared to US prices.
    My Vote for the Genius. To the above poster - have you tried adjusting the other end of the buckle "strap". If you look on the other side of the buckle there is a sleeve w/a one way adjustment. You should just be able to push it through several more notches which would make up for the lack of adjustment in the buckle.

The buckle is a great way to adjust the tightness of the shoe on the fly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Well I ordered the Zeta Carbons and the Look 396 Pedal for 150 and 100, which I thought was a pretty good deal at Performance. I couldn't see the reason for the price difference for a buckle when both are made out of the same upper material and the carbon with the edge on the lower. Plus I got it in white!

Thanks for the help guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My opionons from a recreational rider.

The Zeta carbon sles are not that stiff. I use the 06 Zeta for my spinning classes and the Genius 5 for road riding.

Going with the type of closure you prefer is the best way to go.

The Lorica on the Genius 5 seems to be a just a little more nicer and supple .
    Both breathe very well and will serve you a long time. The Genius 5 seems to be slighty more comfrotable for me on longer rides, but the Zeta are comforatble as well, as my prevoius Titan model that I used before the Zeta. The Zeta is the updated version of the Titan.

The MTB version have the same differnces to me as well. Dominator vs. Bullet

Also on the Genius 5, I need a 1/2 size bigger as the cut is slighty different.

Great shoes and enjoy them. I might have bought the Zeta carbon, but I don't like white personally.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    The Zeta's seem to be a little wider: they didn't fit my narrow heel as well. I bought a pair if the MTB equivalent Bullets, and the fit is sloppy compared to the Geniuses I have had for 3 years. Plus, I like the buckle on the Genius, although I break one every year or so. I keep a spare around for that purpose. If you adjust the floating tounge on the Genius from the non-buckle side, you will find that you can get a bit better fit than on a shoe without that feature (at least I can). If I am spending 50-65 hours per month in a pair of shoes, I want them to fit as well as possible! Mine are starting to wear down in spots after a few years, so I will probably upgrade to the Genius 5.5 this summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    My Vote for the Genius. To the above poster - have you tried adjusting the other end of the buckle "strap". If you look on the other side of the buckle there is a sleeve w/a one way adjustment. You should just be able to push it through several more notches which would make up for the lack of adjustment in the buckle.

The buckle is a great way to adjust the tightness of the shoe on the fly.
    No, I hadn't noticed that. I'll check it out when I get home tonight. Thanks.
    "It's supposed to be a challenge; it's a shortcut! If it were easy
    it would just be the way." - Road Trip

djg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    The post that suggested a slightly different fit may be right. I've always found the standard sidi last to be a little narrower than I like in the front of the foot, and the megas to be a little wider than I wanted through the back. Not a spectacular misfit necessarily, but not ideal. I found a pair of zeta carbons on the return/clearance table at a deep discount and they seemed to fit better than the genius did and at least as well as a pair from my preferred brand, Carnac, which were also on the table (but at a higher price). So for 39 bucks I took home the zeta carbons, and I've been pretty darn happy with them so far.

Whether one shape or another is better for your feet is beyond me, and for all I know either one would work just fine. But I've been happy with the zeta carbons thus far, and I've been happy with them in absolute terms (that is, although I'm happy they were cheap, I don't regard them as compromise backup/rain shoes, but as nice shoes period).

BTW: I don't have a problem adjusting straps on the fly, and the genius model has a couple of straps anyway, but if you have a preference for buckles then get those.