RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Regal Saddle Owners Please chime in

So I have been riding Regal saddles for something like forever. 25 or so years.
    I just had a new steel frame built and would like a newer style saddle on it.
    My sit bones are 143mm sitting upright and 138mm in my riding position. I am not a big guy @5'9" 155#. Also I am no spring chicken, on the down side of 50. I ride about 20 to 40 miles 3 to 5 times a week.
    I will keep the regal on my Dean ti bike but for the new Rich Adams steel frame I would like to update.
    So my question is for you guys coming off a regal what saddle did you find that was regal like. I have a test saddle on now. It is the fizik aliante and it is close but not quite. I seem to be getting a bit of hip joint soreness on it. Butt wise it is close tho.
    Does the new Regal E have the same shape minus some of the skirting.
    Any other suggestions out there?
    Thanks Brian

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I had a Regal Ti and put a RegalE on last year. No discernible change in comfort or position for me, but it is a more "modern" looking saddle. Saddle is one place I do not mess with success. Regal shape just fits me better than anything else I've ever tried.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac View Post
    I had a Regal Ti and put a RegalE on last year. No discernible change in comfort or position for me, but it is a more "modern" looking saddle. Saddle is one place I do not mess with success. Regal shape just fits me better than anything else I've ever tried.
    Thanks.

This is good to know. I am in the same situation as a OP. I love my Regal saddles. I can ride eight hours and never think about my saddle. Regals fit that perfectly. But I would not mind a more modern looking, lighter saddle. I have been wondering about the RegalE for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Turbomatic?

I used turbomatics for a long time and then they all died before they began to make the modern versions. After trying a bunch of saddles I decided to try a regal and its nice but also a boat anchor. A newer turbomatic might be worth a try.

chamois creme addict
    I tried a Regal E and it does feel like the old Regal but maybe a bit more flat front-back. My big complaint was the material choice, it has a synthetic suede on the rear corners, the rest of the saddle is smooth Lorica. Where the two materials join there is a bit of an "edge" at the junction. This edge also happens to be where the inside/rear of my thighs rubs and the Regal E did undo the chamois stitching on a pair of Giordana Forma Red bibs. I think the lack of side skirt contributed to this as well. I think if I could get the saddle with just a smooth Lorica top I would be happy, but I'm not about to destroy any more expensive bibs.

I tried the new Turbomatic and its fit is much different than the old Turbomatics. The transition from nose to tail is much more dramatic, viewed from the top the middle of it is much more narrow than the old version or a Regal. I did not get on with it at all. If anyone is interested in a Turbomatic Team (white with red stripes and carbon rails), send me a PM. Ridden 2x.

Hi
    Perhaps an Antares. The Aliante does have a tendency to keep/lock you into a single position that can be uncomfortable over time if you're not aware of it and consciously move around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I tried the antares and it is a lot like the SLR XP that I have. I it OK for shorter rides but anything over 25 mile it does get uncomfortable. A bit to flat and no cradle.
    A friend is lending me a Prologo Kappa saddle. I tried it out today on a 25 miler and it seemed to feel nice. It is a bit narrower @ 143mm but the shape feels nice. It does not have the "cradle" that some of the other saddles have that limit your movement on the bike.
    So the search continues. If all else fails I will just keep riding the regals.
    Thanks for the help and keep them coming.