RoadBikeReview Member

regular White Lightning versus White Lightning Epic

Any reason to select one over the other?

I think I understand the difference between these two products conceptually...at least insofar as I've read the marketing schpiel on the website & on the back of the bottles.

I've even used both, though not for long enough to form an opinion of one product's performance versus the other. I guess the fact that Epic requires no shaking nor drying time is a plus in its favor.

So...is there anything regular White Lightning does or is good for that Epic can't/isn't?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Or neither

Not familiar with WL Epic, but WL in general is a lot better for lubing cleats (to prevent the squeak) than for chains. The application window for WL is a pretty dry climate that also has lots of dust. Otherwise, there are a lot better lubes on the market. If your only choice is WL and WLE, then WLE has GOT to be better! But really, there are better choices.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Not familiar with WL Epic, but WL in general is a lot better for lubing cleats (to prevent the squeak) than for chains. The application window for WL is a pretty dry climate that also has lots of dust. Otherwise, there are a lot better lubes on the market. If your only choice is WL and WLE, then WLE has GOT to be better! But really, there are better choices.
    I use WLE in the Midwest, Central Illinois, and love it. What would you recommend, Kerry?
    -estone2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Have you been reading?

Quote Originally Posted by estone2
    I use WLE in the Midwest, Central Illinois, and love it. What would you recommend
    The BROAD consensus on this board, Cyclingforum.com, RoadBikeRider, etc. is that ProLink is an excellent combination of lubrication and cleanliness for maximizing chain life. There's always someone who has bad luck with it, but what can you say about that. The so-called homebrew or forum lube is 1 part motor oil in 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits is considered by many to be a viable alternative to ProLink.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    The BROAD consensus on this board, Cyclingforum.com, RoadBikeRider, etc. is that ProLink is an excellent combination of lubrication and cleanliness for maximizing chain life. There's always someone who has bad luck with it, but what can you say about that. The so-called homebrew or forum lube is 1 part motor oil in 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits is considered by many to be a viable alternative to ProLink.
    You're talking about cleaning the chain and lubing it at the same time?
    Ah, that would be why we have different experiences i guess. I clean my chain till it looks brand new, then i lube it, myself.
    Simple Green:Water 1:1 ratio in a spray bottle, spray your drivetrain till its absolutely dripping, that's my love.
    I'm just a bit scared of putting mineral spirits on my chain, because really, anything you put on your chain will eventually get onto your skin...
    -estone2

Bickety bam!
    Jun 2004

Prolink...

Ah, that would be why we have different experiences i guess. I clean my chain till it looks brand new, then i lube it, myself.
    Simple Green:Water 1:1 ratio in a spray bottle, spray your drivetrain till its absolutely dripping, that's my love.
    I'm just a bit scared of putting mineral spirits on my chain, because really, anything you put on your chain will eventually get onto your skin...
    -estone2
    Prolink, best lube out there, hands down.

Here's how I clean my chain. Wipe with a dirty rag until it looks sort of clean. Lube. Complete this cleaning process about once every other week, or after it rains. Ride for about 2000 miles, replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'm another WL fan. Started using it on LBS recommendation. I ride road & MTB in the Midwest in most all conditions. WL works well for me & doesn't leave a big greasy mess (or not as much as wet lube) if you happen to brush against your chain. I lube about every 200-250mi (roadie) or 50-100mi (MTB), and lube after riding in the rain or mud. On my roadie I'm at about 2300mi on my latest chain (Shimano) & it's still right at 12''/24 links. No squeeks or stiff links. I don't get that much life from MTB chains, but I don't expect to with the extra wear in the dirt.
    Only disadvantage to WL is the cost. May try the home-brew for a while- on the wife's bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Do a search

Lubes have been covered on this forum ad nauseum. Do a search on ProLink or home brew and you will find more data than you can stand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've never heard of Pro-link but I'll look into it.

I used to use WL all the time (I do live in a dry dusty climate) but a few years ago I started having trouble with it gunking up in the nozzle of the bottle and I could never get it to drip out onto my chain. Wierd and annoying enough to make me switch to Pedro's ice wax or their teflon based stuff - neither of which I'm terribly fond of.

Folsom City Blues...
    Dang! I must be out of sorts! I use Rock "N" Roll Gold The King of Lube. Cleans and lubes, keeps my chain smooth and quite...

Peace
    Last edited by Elfstone; 08-10-2006 at 12:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I HATE White Lightening. The wax in it gets built up inside the nozzle and clogs it making it a P.I.T.A. to clean. plus it doesn't last very long. Prolink is awesome. TriFlow is awesome. Purple Extreme is sorta awesome. Anything but W.L. is awesome.

thats just me though