Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    trying to HTFU...
    Reputation: cwg_at_opc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,939

    reminder - thorn season

    so, being the dork that i am, i was out riding with the kids
    this afternoon and made a brief excursion off the path onto
    the un-ridden dirt and ended up with so many thorns i flatted
    almost immediately. yes, my daughter flatted too - she was
    following me. we both walked the half-mile or so home.

    it took about an hour to remove them all(with tweezers) and
    then check the insides of the tires for offending stickers.

    i stopped counting after 35(rear tire) - someone with lots of time
    on their hands can count how many are in the bucket. then
    add about 30-40 for all the ones that came out as i rode the
    next ten-twenty feet.

    that's what i get for going off-road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reminder - thorn season-can-you-say-thorns.jpg   reminder - thorn season-lots-o-thorns.jpg   reminder - thorn season-how-about-some-more-thorns.jpg   reminder - thorn season-bucket-o-thorns.jpg  
    Last edited by cwg_at_opc; 10-09-2007 at 08:24 PM.
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

  2. #2
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,094
    Quote Originally Posted by cwg_at_opc
    so, being the dork that i am, i was out riding with the kids
    this afternoon and made a brief excursion off the path onto
    the un-ridden dirt and ended up with so many thorns i flatted
    almost immediately. yes, my daughter flatted too - she was
    following me. we both walked the half-mile or so home.

    it took about an hour to remove them all(with tweezers) and
    then check the insides of the tires for offending stickers.

    i stopped counting after 35(rear tire) - someone with lots of time
    on their hands can count how many are in the bucket. then
    add about 30-40 for all the ones that came out as i rode the
    next ten-twenty feet.

    that's what i get for going off-road.
    WOW!!
    Don't believe everything you think.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Cycler64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    199
    Ok, that's just insane.

  4. #4
    Got Force?
    Reputation: sonex305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    419
    46.3
    For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    612

    Performance...

    Quote Originally Posted by cwg_at_opc
    so, being the dork that i am, i was out riding with the kids
    this afternoon and made a brief excursion off the path onto
    the un-ridden dirt and ended up with so many thorns i flatted
    almost immediately. yes, my daughter flatted too - she was
    following me. we both walked the half-mile or so home.

    it took about an hour to remove them all(with tweezers) and
    then check the insides of the tires for offending stickers.

    i stopped counting after 35(rear tire) - someone with lots of time
    on their hands can count how many are in the bucket. then
    add about 30-40 for all the ones that came out as i rode the
    next ten-twenty feet.

    that's what i get for going off-road.

    USE PErformance thorn resistant tubes... and put a tier liner in ... No more flats...
    The above tubes are VERY thick...

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: phoehn9111's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,120
    I pulled three large ones out of my arm after mountain biking in the shower. Didn't even notice on the ride home because of the gash in my leg. Thought I was a hemophiliac for a while.

  7. #7
    Alx
    Alx is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Alx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by phoehn9111
    I pulled three large ones out of my arm after mountain biking in the shower. .
    Holy smokes, please do explain how you're able to ride your bike in the shower!

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,577

    My personal record is 13...

    Big ride with my daughter's YMCA Indian Princess tribe, planned for weeks. Eight feet off the rack I led the group across a short patch of grass leading to the MUT and flatted I dunno how many tires. Thirteen punctures on my bike alone, though. We canceled the ride and went to breakfast.

  9. #9
    Ka Mate, Ka Ora
    Reputation: PltJett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    280
    About 166 btw. Then if you add the 30-40 that you say fell you (well call it 35), you picked up 201 thorns. Yes, I actaully just counted all of them, and it was amazing. Trust me, it was a great break from all my homework
    The unguided missle

  10. #10
    trying to HTFU...
    Reputation: cwg_at_opc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by PltJett
    About 166 btw. Then if you add the 30-40 that you say fell you (well call it 35), you picked up 201 thorns. Yes, I actaully just counted all of them, and it was amazing. Trust me, it was a great break from all my homework
    whoa. what is weird though, is the thorns in my daughter's
    bike was less than 20(about five minutes worth of work.)

    now all i have to do is not catch any on my ride to Santa
    Barbara this weekend...(odds are not good over an 85 mile ride)
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook