RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Removing hose from a camelbak

It's been 100+ out here and I need more water, so I've gone over to the dark side and got a CamelBak. Since I hate hot water, I also got the insulated hose. The problem I'm having right now is removing the old hose. I've pulled and yanked on it, it just wonít budge. I have try running it under hot water, twisting it, nothing seem to move it. Is there a trick to taking these hose off?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Unless you have the new antidote resivoir, the tubes dont come out. You can put the insulation on the tube you have. If it is the new design theres a yellow button you press and the tube pops out.

I use one, and it sounds stupid but you can just blow the water from the hose back into the resivoir when your done drinking to keep it cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It takes a little bit of elbow grease but I have removed the tube on multiple Camelbaks. I am not sure if there has been a design change but the one I am currently using is 2008 vintage; I would say it has taking me about 5 minutes to remove the tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You hate hot water? The insulated hose won't work that well.

Put ice in the Camelbak before you fill with water. Sure, your initial draw from the hose will be warm, but there's not much in the hose and you'll be amazed at how long and how cold the water in the reservoir will be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The easiest way to get a hose off of a barbed fitting is to cut the hose at the fitting. Just use a sharp knife and slice parallel to the fitting the same length as the fitting and the hose will pop right off. If you slip your hosed and will buy a new bladder. To re-install just cut the hose about an inch shorter, get it wet and shove it back over the fitting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find that pushing up on the end of the hose can work. Use a dull tool, perhaps a butter knife or similar, and push up at the end of the tube at the base of the hose barb on the bladder.

Pulling on the tube makes it contract radially, like a Chinese finger trap, making it grip tighter. Pushing up on the bottom of the tube make it expand.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I find that pushing up on the end of the hose can work. Use a dull tool, perhaps a butter knife or similar, and push up at the end of the tube at the base of the hose barb on the bladder.

Pulling on the tube makes it contract radially, like a Chinese finger trap, making it grip tighter. Pushing up on the bottom of the tube make it expand.
    Thanx, the pushing up technique of yours worked like a charm. Had cold water for a 3+hr ride, even the first sip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    You hate hot water? The insulated hose won't work that well.

Put ice in the Camelbak before you fill with water. Sure, your initial draw from the hose will be warm, but there's not much in the hose and you'll be amazed at how long and how cold the water in the reservoir will be.
    I despised hot water. Iíll even avoid room temp water if I can. For whatever reason, I can only drink cold water, so ice will always be going into the Camelbak and water bottle. The insulated hose was to prevent that initial warm draw.