Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Replace old Pearl cycling shorts

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  brucew 
#1 ·
I have an old pair (15 years) of PI road shorts that are comfortable. They have not had 15 years of use since I took a small 12 year break from cycling. Anyway I love them. Did two 200 mile two day rides without any issues. I thought since these worked so well I'd just but another pair of PI shorts and be good to go. I bought the attack shorts for about $80. I hate the 3D chamois. My old shorts have a two layer chamois, tan surrounded by white material. Does PI or anyone else make a quality built, quality fabric, short without a 3D diaper chamois? If so what brand/model? I am not interested in bibs, just shorts. Thanks, Scooter.

#4 ·
Padded cycling shorts are such a personal thing. What one likes, others may not. I've tried different brands over the years, and find the PI In-R-Cool Pro Leader bibshorts are the ones I like best. I've tried a few other brands, Assos, Castelli, Louis Garneau, and a few others. Be aware, that most shorts and bibshorts are cut for the European male, not the American male, so they will run a size or two smaller. The American male usually, but not always, has wider hips and more girth around their waist, like me. I wear a 38 waist pants, but need a XXL bibshorts. I've tried the large and struggle to get in them. Once I am, I can't even walk. An XL is slightly better. So, if you are looking for new bibs, try some on and shop around. And don't forget, you need to go commando when wearing the new bibs. No undies required.

#5 ·
I took Brucew's advice and ordered a pair of the Aerotech shorts. Perfect! 50 miles on Saturday and they felt like the old PI shorts. Half the price of the new PI shorts I bought with the 3D padding. For me, padding is not the issue, I just need abrasion resistance and the Aerotech's seem like they will work perfectly.

Thanks to all on these forums for the communal wisdom!

Scooter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.