Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Which thickness of Lizard Skin did you feel too squishy? It comes in 1.8mm (no padding at all), 2.5mm (minimal padding), and 3.2mm (too squishy for my liking) thickesses. Something there for everyone.
    It was their 2.5mm tape. I'm using Fizik's performance tape now which I believe is 3mm. It has a firmer feel that doesn't squish around under your hands but still provides cushion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Looks like Lizard Skins tapes have layers of different material which the outer layer is thin. I suppose the tapes with solid material would fare better like solid foam or cork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    There have been multiple discussions on handlebar corrosion on this forum. Here is one with some images.

Despite the issues of their own, at least the carbon bars won't be subjected to the same corrosion issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ..... He came ripping down the hill from the GGB into Sausalito one evening and his 5 year old alloy bar w/ probably 2 year old tape broke. He crashed hard into an armco barrier and got cut up really badly...which led to a staph infection. Which killed him.
    OK, so to make things brief, old tape can kill you.

BTW, "pics or it didn't happen"......
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

a real member's member
    the very last thing i'm worried about with my bikes is corrosion from my vintage cinelli bars.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Fecal indicator
    meh, both my 25-yr old Modolo and 7-yr old 3TTT aluminum bars are pristine...

my 'worry factor' regarding the possibility of a failure due to corrosion is near zero.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I think the only tape I would steer people away from is Lizard Skins.
    I think it lasted a month for me.

As the OP has learned it has a very thin rubber like coating that goes away quite quickly for some of us.

Generally the synthetic cork tapes seem to hold up reasonably well for me.

Good luck.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

My opinion of you is low enough, tell me you're not serious.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoo View Post
    I think the only tape I would steer people away from is Lizard Skins.

Same here. If it was really cheap, who cares, but for such a premium I'm done with that stuff. It's not like it has some magical grip or feel either.

One tape that wears like iron, feels decent, is easy to wrap, comes in a lot of colors and cost next to nothing is Deda. All things considered it's hard to beat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OK, OK, CX. You scared me into more frequent tape changes! Should I change by mileage or time? How often should a 3K mile per year fair weather rider be changing?
    Do it at the beginning of the season. It's a good time to adjust brakes and shifting, change cables if needed and spend an hour or two tightening everything up.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Some people sweat more than others and some people lose more salt through their sweat than others. Not everyone is subject to the concern over corrosion on their handlebars, or any other parts of their bicycles. I know that none of my bikes have ever shown any sign of corrosion on the bars - even after ten years between replacing tape. With STI, it is a good idea to do it more often just because you want to replace the cables and housing at least every year or two.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Some people sweat more than others and some people lose more salt through their sweat than others. Not everyone is subject to the concern over corrosion on their handlebars, or any other parts of their bicycles. I know that none of my bikes have ever shown any sign of corrosion on the bars - even after ten years between replacing tape. With STI, it is a good idea to do it more often just because you want to replace the cables and housing at least every year or two.
    10 years? I don't even know what to say about that.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    10 years? I don't even know what to say about that.
    Back in the days of downtube shifters, non-aero brake cables and cork tape there wasn't that much of a reason to change it out, unless I crashed and tore it.

Now I had a roommate whose sweat was highly corrosive. The frame to his Kreitler rollers was covered in rust, the cable guides on his frames were all rusted - hell, drafting him on a clear summer day you might think that it was raining. This was someone who not only had to change his bartape regularly but had to have his frame repainted every few years.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It lasts, I just always found the stuff slippery...especially when it got a bit wet.
    I think all Fizik tape is Microtex. Some is definitely very slippery but others are not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

How many bikes have you worked on, No-Time? CXWench has been repairing bikes for racers for years.

Do tell! Otherwise, we will assume you are just another troll.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    How many bikes have you worked on, No-Time?
    If they know that they never had problems on their own bikes for a long time, then it follows that their practices are suited to their own use case. A professional mechanic may very well have a different point of view because their job is dealing with customers and their bikes, they may not know exactly what is walking in the shop and what it's been through, and also quite reasonably want to protect themselves from consequences, especially in the extremely litigious legal environment of the US.

But, a restaurant is not run in the same way as a home kitchen for many good reasons, and while we can all learn from chefs (and pro mechanics), we don't necessarily have the same needs and wants as them.

The suggestion of checking the bar for corrosion may be very sound, OTOH the way it has been presented in has been both hostile and overly dramatic.

Cyclists are so used to hear they should be replacing their whole bike on a daily basis OR FACE SURE DEATH!!!1! that BikeSnobNYC has made a living out of mocking that.

The end result is that horror stories are often counterproductive because a sound suggestion may be ignored as yet more scaremongering for economic gain.

Finally, while cxwrench input on these matters is often spot on, in many instances, like this one, it is offered in an adversarial fashion which not only sets up defensive reactions that ultimately don't benefit anyone, but also can drive people, especially new users, away from the community.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct3,

A few points of yours are well taken, but others are exaggerations that are overly dramatic. As the saying goes, YMMV. Just because rider X gets away with something doesn't mean rider Y should do it if there have been documented cases where rider A, B and C had it happen. At the very least, it seems prudent to check under the handlebar tape periodically for anything ugly going on.

Yes, a few people here can be rough at times, but when someone makes a remark to an experienced bike mechanic that goes like "pics or it didn't happen", that's poking a skunk with a stick. And that is far from the first time that poster has given out questionable advice.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    OK, OK, CX. You scared me into more frequent tape changes! Should I change by mileage or time? How often should a 3K mile per year fair weather rider be changing?
    It would seem to me that if you are not seeing any corrosion when you change your tape, there is no reason to increase the frequency of replacing it other then to get that new tape look. It does seem like certain folks generate nastier sweat. I have not experienced any bar corrosion so maybe I am lucky. I usually just replace my bar tape at the start of the season unless it gets really dirty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It would seem to me that if you are not seeing any corrosion when you change your tape, there is no reason to increase the frequency of replacing it other then to get that new tape look. It does seem like certain folks generate nastier sweat. I have not experienced any bar corrosion so maybe I am lucky. I usually just replace my bar tape at the start of the season unless it gets really dirty
    Sounds spot on. I haven't generally replaced bar tape on a schedule other than when the tape starts to spall. That usually equates to about every two years. I have never noticed any handlebar corrosion. Maybe my sweat isn't that corrosive. I certainly sweat enough in warm weather. I generally don't ride in rain or wet roads, so that may make a difference.

I have to wonder if different alloys are more susceptible than others.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered in other threads, but curious about what bar tape you guys would recommend? I got maybe 2.5 years out of my Lizard Skins and am hoping for something else/better. Overall, the were fine, but I thought they'd last longer.Attachment 319597
    Nashbar cork tape is cheap and excellent Quality. Buy on special and stock it and you will be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct3,

A few points of yours are well taken, but others are exaggerations that are overly dramatic. As the saying goes, YMMV. Just because rider X gets away with something doesn't mean rider Y should do it if there have been documented cases where rider A, B and C had it happen. At the very least, it seems prudent to check under the handlebar tape periodically for anything ugly going on.

Yes, a few people here can be rough at times, but when someone makes a remark to an experienced bike mechanic that goes like "pics or it didn't happen", that's poking a skunk with a stick. And that is far from the first time that poster has given out questionable advice.
    Especially when it involved the death of a friend as a direct result of the subject matter. Zero class.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Especially when it involved the death of a friend as a direct result of the subject matter. Zero class.
    OUCH! Sorry to hear.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered in other threads, but curious about what bar tape you guys would recommend? I got maybe 2.5 years out of my Lizard Skins and am hoping for something else/better. Overall, the were fine, but I thought they'd last longer.Attachment 319597
    Depends on how much padding you like. Some are thicker than others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I'm currently using Fabric Knurl Tape, it's nice and grippy, and i'm very pleased with it and it's reasonably priced. Check out Fabric's stuff. This is coming from someone who used Lizard Skins before, but decided to try something new.

a real member's member
    I have never noticed any handlebar corrosion.
    i've fully rebuilt over 40 vintage bikes, and never seen any major corrosion on bars. dented bars, warped bars, yes.

stuck seatposts, stuck stems, tons of stuck bolts, stuck cones in cartridge bearing hubs ... corrosion everywhere else on a bike, yes.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast