Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i've fully rebuilt over 40 vintage bikes, and never seen any major corrosion on bars. dented bars, warped bars, yes.

stuck seatposts, stuck stems, tons of stuck bolts, stuck cones in cartridge bearing hubs ... corrosion everywhere else on a bike, yes.
    Not sure why you'd see the need to post this. From this thread we know 2 things:

Some riders don't have a problem w/ sweat/corrosion/old bar tape.

Some riders do have a problem with it.

Given that bar tape averages about $25.00 and a visit to the hospital is orders of magnitude more expensive, what's the smart thing to do? Replace the bar tape every now and then or ignore it? Think hard about this one.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    It seems to me that corrosion is going to show up elsewhere for those who are prone to it. Thus a rider who isn't prone to it shouldn't need to replace their tape just to see if it is happening. With STI, you have to replace your cables every couple of years anyway, so that is a good interval for tape replacement if you don't tear it up in the meantime.

Now a person whose bike shows significant corrosion elsewhere (stem, front brakes, cable guides, front derailleur come to mind for a person who sweats like crazy) needs to check far more frequently. Did your friend's bike not show those signs of corrosion?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    It seems to me that corrosion is going to show up elsewhere for those who are prone to it. Thus a rider who isn't prone to it shouldn't need to replace their tape just to see if it is happening. With STI, you have to replace your cables every couple of years anyway, so that is a good interval for tape replacement if you don't tear it up in the meantime.

Now a person whose bike shows significant corrosion elsewhere (stem, front brakes, cable guides, front derailleur come to mind for a person who sweats like crazy) needs to check far more frequently. Did your friend's bike not show those signs of corrosion?
    That bike did have lots of corrosion, but it was ridden over the GGB from Marin to SF 5 days a week, so corrosion is going to happen. These days 2 years is way too long for most riders w/ newish shifters to replace cables/housing. If the bike is ridden regularly I'd recommend at least every year.

I can't convey how pissed off I get when I basically have to chisel nearly petrified bar tape off someones bike to replace it. It should take about 30 seconds each to side to remove tape, but I've spent upwards of 20 minutes each side because the ancient bar tape won't come off cleanly. Sometimes zero corrosion, sometimes a lot. I can't charge them for the actual time I spent, no one will want to pay $50-70 to have tape installed. This one simple operation causes a bigger hit to our labor margin than anything else I can think of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Given that bar tape averages about $25.00 and a visit to the hospital is orders of magnitude more expensive, what's the smart thing to do? Replace the bar tape every now and then or ignore it? Think hard about this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Now a person whose bike shows significant corrosion elsewhere (stem, front brakes, cable guides, front derailleur come to mind for a person who sweats like crazy) needs to check far more frequently.
    Electrical tape is even cheaper. You can check for the corrosion (or replace cables & housing) by unwrapping and rewrap if all is good. If the bar tape itself is not worn, reuse it.

a real member's member
    Not sure why you'd see the need to post this.
    i posted my experience that i've never seen it. ever.

from this thread we know 2 things...
    (1) it's incredibly rare ...

a visit to the hospital is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    and (2) when you're not insulting someone with your "experience," you like to scare people unnecessarily.

this is the point where you try to shame me about your dead "friend" with the addition of some snarky remark you've used a thousand times on this forum.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

i posted my experience that i've never seen it. ever.

(1) it's incredibly rare ...

and (2) when you're not insulting someone with your "experience," you like to scare people unnecessarily.

this is the point where you try to shame me about your dead "friend" with the addition of some snarky remark you've used a thousand times on this forum.
    Stop being a classless ******* and show some respect. You post like I'm lying about this. You...with your experience, which is personal, have never seen bar corrosion. My experience, which is mirrored by others so I'm not the only one, shows that it does happen. I'm glad your pH is such that you don't have corrosive sweat but this can be and has proven to be a serious issue for some people. I'd much rather err on the side of being overly cautious than ignore it. You can say whatever you want about me and how I post but how can you argue about this one?

a real member's member
    Stop being a classless *******
    no, that's certainly your department. you've proven it in this thread and every one you get you hands on.

over 40 of the bikes i've rebuilt have been used. none had corrosion on the bars. most had tape that took an hour or more to remove.

stop scaring people.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    thanks for the negative rep, cxwrench. i replied in kind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Wow. Such an innocent non controversial thread title. I guess you can't tell a book by it's cover. I'm with cx in this for the hygiene and grossness reasons. Specialized used to put these clear rubbery cushion pads under their factory bar tape. I'd get the pleasure of peeling off this stuff . The pads hold the wet sweat under them and start to disintegrate. Just a totally disgusting job. And as cx says, you can't charge time or "danger pay" for that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

thanks for the negative rep, cxwrench. i replied in kind.
    It's obvious I don't give a **** what people think of me, I just try to give sound advice. If you interpret that as 'trying to scare people' that's fine. If something bad has happened it's worth a warning no matter how rare. If you think it's worth ignoring, hopefully the only bikes you work on are your own.

a real member's member
    It's obvious I don't give a **** what people think of me ... If you interpret that as 'trying to scare people' that's fine.
    being a regular prīck and scaring people with the incredibly rare occurrence are two different things.

If something bad has happened it's worth a warning no matter how rare.
    not true.

being a regular prīck and scaring people with the incredibly rare occurrence are two different things.

not true.
    Most 'recalls' are based on exactly this type of situation. Thousands and thousands of a product are produced and a few fail. A recall is initiated to make sure all are safe even though the instance of failure is much much less an 1%. Are you saying that all of them are scare tactics and should never happen?

a real member's member
    A recall is initiated to make sure all are safe... Are you saying that all of them are scare tactics..?
    no, i'm saying your posts in this thread concerning "hospitals" and "death" due to bar corrosion are over-the-top and unwarranted for 99.999 percent of readers.

no, i'm saying your posts in this thread concerning "hospitals" and "death" due to bar corrosion are over-the-top and unwarranted for 99.999 percent of readers.
    But it's ok if that one guy crashes really hard because his bar breaks? I do everything I can to minimize a rider's risk while on the bike. If you don't, that's fine. Just don't treat anyone else's bike that way because it's fine for you. And don't pass that advice off as good for everyone. The same thing can be said for checking brake cables and pads and all sorts of other stuff on a regular basis. My experience is quite a bit more in depth that your 40 restorations. I might work on 40 bikes in a week, that's been your entire experience. I will do everything I can to make sure every bike I touch is as safe as possible.

I'm just surprised that you'd continue to argue that I'm being in very basic terms 'too safe'. Is there any such thing?

a real member's member
    But it's ok if that one guy crashes really hard because his bar breaks?
    when this thread reaches 100,000 views, maybe you will have prevented one instance and unnecessarily scared thousands of others into rewrapping their bars or not riding altogether.

I do everything I can to minimize a rider's risk while on the bike.
    then you should be far more concerned with those things that have a much greater impact to bike accidents, like safe riding tips and riding with auto traffic.

bee stings and insect bites probably cause more crashes than failed bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    bee stings and insect bites probably cause more crashes than failed bars.
    What are you basing this probability on?

If you use alloy bars, replacing your tape and inspecting your bars once in a while is probably a good idea. Especially in the area aound the shinfters.

Last edited by Migen21; 07-04-2017 at 01:13 PM.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    just a guess.

i was going to write, "squirrels," but of course squirrels cause way more accidents than damaged bars.

yesterday, i rode the interurban trail north of kent, wa, and counted 52 rabbits along the trail. only 3 crossed in front of me. obviously, it depends where you live, but rabbits seem to be a much greater concern to kent cyclists than squirrels, bees or corrosive bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    just a guess.

i was going to write, "squirrels," but of course squirrels cause way more accidents than damaged bars.

yesterday, i rode the interurban trail north of kent, wa, and counted 52 rabbits along the trail. only 3 crossed in front of me. obviously, it depends where you live, but rabbits seem to be a much greater concern to kent cyclists than squirrels, bees or corrosive bars.
    Squirrels are the worst. Most animals will run away from you. Squirrels are prone to double back on you. So, I say they are even dumber than bunnies. They are, however, non-corrosive, so there's that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

If you use alloy bars, replacing your tape and inspecting your bars once in a while is probably a good idea. Especially in the area aound the shinfters.

You should be checked for alien DNA

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Squirrels are the worst... They are, however, non-corrosive, so there's that
    good point. B^)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    You should be checked for alien DNA
    what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I also have found I like the feel of Lizard Skins but they get dirty quickly and don't wear well (used both the 3.2 and the 2.5). Plus they are too expensive IMHO to be changing out all the time. I'm now on Fizik which looks good as new. I've never seen any corrosion, but that's just me. I would have no way of knowing if that is typical, lucky, or whatever.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ....this is the point where you try to shame me about your dead "friend"......
    Way, way over the top. You need to take a break now.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Squirrels are the worst. Most animals will run away from you. Squirrels are prone to double back on you. So, I say they are even dumber than bunnies. They are, however, non-corrosive, so there's that
    I usually just ride toward the squirrel, that way when he darts it won't be towards me.

As far as corrosion, wrap the bars in quality electrical tape before wrapping the bar tape. The electrical tape acts as an insulator between the bars and sweat.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    what?
    This is what he is talking about.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast