Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Replacement handlebar tape recommendations?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered in other threads, but curious about what bar tape you guys would recommend? I got maybe 2.5 years out of my Lizard Skins and am hoping for something else/better. Overall, the were fine, but I thought they'd last longer.Replacement handlebar tape recommendations?-img_1784.jpg

'brifter' is a lame word.
    2.5 YEARS?!? Jesus, that must have been some smelly tape. Change it more often. Like every few months, especially if you sweat a lot. You'll never know if there's any corrosion or damage under that tape until it's too late. Plus it's a PITA to remove when you leave it on that long. It's supposed to be something that wears quickly and is replaced often.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Do you ever (I mean ever) ride in the drops?

Quit wearing sand paper gloves!
    Last edited by duriel; 06-30-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    You really should change the tape more often, if nothing else then for inspecting for pitting/corrosion.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    lizard skin tape is crap for wear.

a real member's member
    fizik. buy it on ebay. make sure you get the right microfibre texture, not just color.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    lizard skin tape is crap for wear.
    Is that typical of that brand? I was about to get one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Is that typical of that brand? I was about to get one.
    feels great at first but if you wear gloves it wears right through the top layer.

I have been running zipp service course cx.

seems decent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Change your cables and housings while you're at it. Looks like Shimano shifters so assuming you shift a fair amount I would have to guess your cables are soon to fray.

Anyway, If you liked the feel of Lizard Skin but not the wear, one of the Fizik tapes is similar feel to Lizard Skin except it doesn't suck wear wise.
    Other Fizik tapes are totally different though so don't just by by brand name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I get very good life out of Bontrager gel cork tape and it's very comfortable and about $20. They also have double gel cork tape if you want a bit more padding.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    You didn't say how many miles 2.5 years is, so it's hard to say definitely whether you got your money's worth. My guess is you have.

Personally, I like Cannondale Synapse tape, but then I like thick padding. If you like something thinner, this probably isn't for you.

As Jay said, change your cables as long as your changing your tape.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Neophyte
    Bar tape seems to last forever for me, too. That said...

It can be a little hard to find but there is some PRO bar tape I really like, I think it might be their "Microfiber Smart Silicone Bar Tape".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I have 2.5mm lizard skins on all of my bikes. I couple of them have been there for at least two seasons, and I don't see any significant signs of wear (it's black though).

I have no idea how you could possibly get that stuff torn up like the OP shows in the picture. That almost looks like someones pet parrot got a hold of it.

In my experience, Lizard skin 2.5 is the best combination of ease of installation, feel/texture, and durability. I've tried a few others and keep going back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Lizard skin was to squishy for me so I switched to Fizik. I'm pretty sure a tape that's a little more firm will be more durable but I don't leave it on long enough to find out. If you liked the feel of your lizard skin tape I'd say stick with it. $20-30 for 2.5 years of use sounds like a bargain to me.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Shimano PRO Race Comfort. Great stuff. Comfortable, and when it gets wet, it gets more grippy. Wears well. Quite stretchable too.

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/...TA_RACECOMFORT
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Another vote for fizik. I change tape around 2-3 times a year so if you are expecting more than 2.5 years for bar tape I think you'll be disappointed with any tape. For around $20 it's not a major investment to change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Lizard skin was to squishy for me so I switched to Fizik. I'm pretty sure a tape that's a little more firm will be more durable but I don't leave it on long enough to find out. If you liked the feel of your lizard skin tape I'd say stick with it. $20-30 for 2.5 years of use sounds like a bargain to me.
    Which thickness of Lizard Skin did you feel too squishy? It comes in 1.8mm (no padding at all), 2.5mm (minimal padding), and 3.2mm (too squishy for my liking) thickesses. Something there for everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    How long the tape will last depends essentially on how much you ride the bike and in which conditions (also it helps if you don't crash). The tape I have now is over 2 years old, however it's only done 15,000 km and never got soaked in rain, the worst it's seen is condensing fog and light rain, so overall it's rather clean and not smelly at all.

It's beginning to get scuffed on the hooks and drops (go figure), but it's only noticeable if you look close enough.

This bar is going to be moved, tape and all, over to the beater, whose microfiber tape is falling apart.

Currently undecided between SRAM Suede and Zipp Service Course CX for my next tape job.
    Last edited by oct3; 07-01-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Fecal indicator
    Fizik Microtex wears like iron.

have gotten up to 2 years of use (~15K miles) even with white tape...the stuff cleans up nicely with just minimal effort. Murphy's Oil Soap works great on it...

the pic of the Liz Skins looks nasty, don't think I'd ever try that brand based on that...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    Fizik Microtex wears like iron.

have gotten up to 2 years of use (~15K miles) even with white tape...the stuff cleans up nicely with just minimal effort. Murphy's Oil Soap works great on it...

the pic of the Liz Skins looks nasty, don't think I'd ever try that brand based on that...

It lasts, I just always found the stuff slippery...especially when it got a bit wet.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It lasts, I just always found the stuff slippery...especially when it got a bit wet.
    rarely ride in wet conditions, so never experienced that as problem...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Do you ever (I mean ever) ride in the drops?

Quit wearing sand paper gloves!
    LOL! Nope. The voices say I cannot ride in the drops, unless it's the vernal equinox during the year of the ox.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    fizik. buy it on ebay. make sure you get the right microfibre texture, not just color.
    Just bought some Fizik tape!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Change your cables and housings while you're at it. Looks like Shimano shifters so assuming you shift a fair amount I would have to guess your cables are soon to fray.

Anyway, If you liked the feel of Lizard Skin but not the wear, one of the Fizik tapes is similar feel to Lizard Skin except it doesn't suck wear wise.
    Other Fizik tapes are totally different though so don't just by by brand name.
    Thanks- didn't think of this, but it makes sense. I'm changing the cables as well as the tape. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_kai View Post
    Another vote for fizik. I change tape around 2-3 times a year so if you are expecting more than 2.5 years for bar tape I think you'll be disappointed with any tape. For around $20 it's not a major investment to change.
    Makes sense. Thanks and I'll be certain to note the frequency of change. I'm quite surprised the Lizard Skins (2.5 mm) wore out the way they did. Oh well. Perhaps this is just what I should expect moving forward. Cheers!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Since everyone is still babbling on and on about how long tape might last...I can't stress the fact that you should be changing your tape a LOT more regularly so you can inspect your bars for corrosion. Had a customer/friend years ago that rode his beater commuter bike to work 5 days a week. Left everything on it for years. He came ripping down the hill from the GGB into Sausalito one evening and his 5 year old alloy bar w/ probably 2 year old tape broke. He crashed hard into an armco barrier and got cut up really badly...which led to a staph infection. Which killed him.
    Add to that the fact that I don't want to smell your manky-ass bar tape while I'm working on your bike. That **** is disgusting.

It's $20-40...change the stuff on a regular basis for f's sake.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since everyone is still babbling on and on about how long tape might last...I can't stress the fact that you should be changing your tape a LOT more regularly so you can inspect your bars for corrosion. Had a customer/friend years ago that rode his beater commuter bike to work 5 days a week. Left everything on it for years. He came ripping down the hill from the GGB into Sausalito one evening and his 5 year old alloy bar w/ probably 2 year old tape broke. He crashed hard into an armco barrier and got cut up really badly...which led to a staph infection. Which killed him.
    Add to that the fact that I don't want to smell your manky-ass bar tape while I'm working on your bike. That **** is disgusting.

rode that before.

from the city to sir francis drake blvd. over to point reyes then up to occidental area.

good times...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

OK, OK, CX. You scared me into more frequent tape changes! Should I change by mileage or time? How often should a 3K mile per year fair weather rider be changing?
    Last edited by Lombard; 07-02-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast