Thread: ride pace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

ride pace.

Why does everyone want to start rides so fast and then suck at the last half of the ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If I am just going for a ride to me it does not matter. If I am riding for a workout I ride hard at the beginning and for as long as I can. I find that if I ride hard at the end I feel gypped and might not have gone as hard as I could.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaka View Post
    Why does everyone want to start rides so fast and then suck at the last half of the ride?
    If you find this frustrating, find other people to ride with. Your statement is not true for all riders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    They aren't in as good a shape as they thought?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Human nature? I tend to overestimate the shape I'm in . . . which is round.

RoadBikeReview Member
    vague question is vague

RoadBikeReview Member

Going all out at the start is dumb.

The legs don't have time to "warm up." stretch, become "supple." There's a risk of muscular and ligament injury. The cardio system is overstimulated, lactic acid builds up quickly in the muscles and isn't expelled, and leg strength is compromised for the rest of the ride.

The pros will tell you, "Always start out easy." Spin a small gear for the first 15 or so minutes, get the spin down, establish a rhythm, let the heart rate gradually increase. Then, after "attacking" the first real climb, the legs will recover for the next hard effort. Group rides always start out strong, with a few young Turks on the front showing how strong they are. So draft them while warming up. The winner is the one who has some strength left at the end. Just ask Mark Cavendish.

If one wants strength or endurance gains from riding, its like any other exercise. Warm up, then repeats of increasing difficulty, the hardest efforts always at the end. Blowing it half way through the ride, may as well just go home. There's nothing left, only sore, stale legs that won't recover.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Likely because either you are riding with beginner groups or with inconsistent riders who don't train regularly. I suppose it also depends on the ride length. I am still working up to 60 mile rides at speed, only good for about 40 at 18+ right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I'm kind of the opposite. On a recreational ride, I really struggle to keep up the first 30 minutes or so. Not necessarily because people go out hard, but because I'm physically a really slow "warmer upper". I am tight, my breath is labored, I just feel like you-know-what and then at about 25 or 30 minutes, I feel good and can not only ride faster, but the perceived effort is less. I'm not a serious bike racer, but I do know on ski races, if it's a long one (3-5 hours), I just devote the first 30 to warming up and take pleasure in passing people the last hour or so, and not getting passed after the first 30 minutes. On recreational bike or skis, I often get dropped but if there is a re-grouping within an hour, I can often keep up fine after that, even leading more than my fair share.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbafish View Post
    They aren't in as good a shape as they thought?
    This is frequently true, particularly if the people are riding a distance that they don't ride very frequently.
    Last edited by Mr. Jones; 05-07-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Grammar

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I ride at the pace I want to ride at. I try to find other people that want to ride at the same pace. I try not to let other people influence me. However, a lot of the pace depends on what I am trying to accomplish during that ride.
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tntyz View Post
    Human nature? I tend to overestimate the shape I'm in . . . which is round.
    So you think you're more round than you really are?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    On a lot of group rides, people like to show off, so they push the pace. Most of the other riders in the group feel compelled to keep up with them. I get some sense of satisfaction when they bonk.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here: